Thread: Better the next day?

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Question Better the next day?

I have been doing really well at washing just twice a week or less. most of the time I wait 5 days between washes. The thing is, the day I wash my hair really does feel sort of dry. The next day though, it feels better and the third day it feels perfect. Then it goes into the oily-ish phase until I wash it.

Does that mean that my shampoo is just too much or what? I think I can blame a lot of it on the SLS and cones that I know are in it.

I wish I could go back to being hair ignorant!! Lather rinse repeat..LOL that was so easy!

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Default Re: Better the next day?

I don't have an answer for you, because I have the same issue. I love my hair on day two and three. On day one its too slippery, and doesn't really lay the way I would like it too. Its really frustrating.
    Every day is Thursday.

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I don't think so. In my experience, I need my shampoo to do a thorough job cleansing my scalp, which means it needs to be a fairly strong product to get the job done.

I did use a catnip rinse after shampooing and conditioning for a while, and found that it helped me have that 'second day hair' effect pretty much right away. It's nice, but I've wandered away from it, mostly because I'm lazy.

Length
    shldr/shldr/70 in
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Try CO. That's my answer to lots of things here, but seriously. I used to have a shampooing schedule that looked like this:

After shampooing: POOFFRIZZPOOFBALL!
    Day two: still poofing, but is greasy in places
    Day three: sort of settling down, greasy and nasty feeling
    Day four: mostly looks de-poofed, but is like an oilslick.

And then I tried CO. Now I get perfect hair afterwards and perfect hair for another three-ish days, then a tiny bit of oil that can be dealt with using water only for another three-ish days. I haven't gone much longer without washing my hair since my water only experiment, but that's mainly because I like the smell of conditioner and the feeling of washing with it too much to not do it.
    Growing my hair back out after some much-needed experimentation and with a color I love!

Length
    16/32.5/50
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

I have Mary Poppins hair. Practically perfect in every way. heehee

But really, yes, just after shampooing my hair is a bit poofy. Thanks be to age, however, my hair no longer gets oily.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Yep, me too.

My best hair is on days 2 and 3. But sometimes it looks good really 'dirty'! Today for example is day 7, and I've oiled and brushed the heck out of it so I can't wear it down (waves look weird) but the overall texture and softness are very nice. Since I am going swimming, I will wash later in the day, but I know I will then have to put it up while damp and keep it up - it is just too thick at the roots anymore for me to control when it is freshly washed.

Washing less does seem to make my hair more manageable. Also, since it's been cold, less sulfates, though I have a bad conscience if I go swimming and don't sulfate wash afterwards.

Here's a thought - have you tried WO washes in between? They work well for me if I alternate them with shampooing...
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    Short/27"/34"
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I have to 2nd or 3rd the CO or WO suggestions. My hair is wavy and when I used to shampoo, I could absolutely guarantee I'd frizz no matter what leave-in I used. When I CO, the frizz is still a challenge on occasion but I can get good 1st day hair if I apply my leave-in and then a little while later, follow up with a misting of my water/oil mix. For some bizarre reason, this produces soft waves that I would normally only get on day 2+ from misting.

For me, shampoo is a no-no and if/when I use it, it's diluted beyond belief but even then, it's a problem.

Length goal - 32" (waist) by July 2009

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I have the same problem, Heather. Mostly it's my ends, though--my scalp definitely doesn't have a dryness problem! And putting it up in a bun or braid for even just an hour or so makes it softer and nicer. Don't ask me why, because I don't know.

Something that I've found to help with that is just doing scalp only washes. http://www.longhaircommunity.com/for...e&articleid=85

I however, do it in the shower, and I braid my hair down my back, not over my face, though.
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Not much help here. For me, CO makes better first-day hair but then my scalp gets greasy faster, so I end up having to CO it again sooner. I prefer a super-diluted (1:10) non-sulfate poo, then I can get a week out of it and I feel like I get more total good hair days.

Day 1 is kinda puffy, day 6 is kinda greasy, but that's why we invented the updo!