Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identifying scalp gunk. *dandruff, sebum, buildup?*

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Question Identifying scalp gunk. *dandruff, sebum, buildup?*

I have some 'gunk' issues. The thing is, I don't know what the gunk is...

The day after I wash my hair, there is relatively nothing. A few small flakes at the hairline that are just white and will flutter out of my hair if I brush at it with my hand. The next day if I scratch my scalp with a fingernail, I get a small amount of whitish substance. It is powdery but oily at the same time. The day I wash (when my hair is it's dirtiest) the oily substance is very pronounced and I can scratch up quite a bit and my scalp itches.

How do I know if it's buildup, dandruff, sebum or something else?

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: Identifying scalp gunk. *dandruff, sebum, buildup?*

I don't have an answer to your question but I have the same issue. Some mysterious offwhite waxy powder under my fingernails after scratching my scalp. It's calmed down a bit now that I've started CO but it's not even close to gone. I'm also interested to know what it is.

Length
    16/17/33
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

I think it's maybe dandruff (see below & link included where I got it from) but I'll keep searching Because I would like to know what this is

"Dandruff is the dead skin cell, which covers the scalp of a person's head, and cause itching and hair fall. It's a white color powdery substance in dry hair and sticky white substance in oily hair. It covers the scalp surface and smells bad when there is sweat in the head. When you itch the dandruff in the head it comes up and looks on the hair. "
    http://www.beautytips.ayurvediccure....e-dandruff.htm

Length
    16/17/33
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

I have found another site that may help both of you & Good luck! =)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...recognize.html

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Caxikian View Post
    I have found another site that may help both of you & Good luck! =)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...recognize.html
    I read through that article and have a few issues with it...

Hair does not need to be washed at least every other day. Haircare truly is all about what works best for the individual. There are members here that have gone years without washing/conditioning.

I think my biggest gripe with the article is her condemnation of Pantene Pro-V. I have used that line of products for years without ANY of the side effects she described.

All of the products she recommends are 'professional' products which generally cost $$$$, so methinks she may be a stylist trying to upsell her clients.
    Lady Ionides of the Springtime Blossoms in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Navi says "Hey Listen!"

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Oh i have that, isn't that just natural skin cells that shed like on our bodies and face??
    That's what i assumed.
    It completely goes if you wash your scalp with some bicarb added to your shampoo and massage the scalp well. Your scalp will have NOTHING on it for days, then it starts up again.

I swear i think this is just normal skin renewal and shedding?
    It can't be dry scalp??? I have an oily scalp! Now i am really confused. It could be product use, even though i'm on all natural no: SLS, cone, paraben and artificial things inside. Maybe I should go back to herb washes and see if that takes it away. I like a challenge to find something that will take this white dust away, not that it bothers me in the slightest!
    I can't use conditioner on my scalp, so perhaps that is the culprit to "dryness".
    Maybe i should try poo bars again?
    This is really interesting. Thank you for alerting me to this
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    26/30/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

It's sebum and scalp skin Dandruff is fungal, and believe me, you'd know if you had it.

I doubt it's buildup, although it can and does build up on your scalp if it doesn't get truly clean once in a while. For me, a good CO with a scalp massage does clean it properly.

I wouldn't go on any new routine to try to "get rid of it", were I you. I doubt you'll stop your scalp from shedding skin and producing sebum

Type
    1b/F/ii

I have this too. I figured it was just conditioner build-up on my scalp and that I should be more careful to rinse more thoroughly. But after reading your replies, it seems to be normal. I don't really notice it unless I scratch my scalp, so maybe I should just save scratching my scalp for when I'm in the shower!

Tiny Teesha, what is bicarb? Is that the same as baking soda? I haven't done a baking soda wash in quite a while, so maybe I should give that another try.

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Ohh i have the same thing too. Whenever i scratch my scalp there is some white flakes coming out but i presume it as normal as winter winds are very harsh on me.

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge"
    Ivana Trump

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

This is the reason I have to wash my hair, actually. I can't just "brush" out the tiny little flakes, it looks like I have salt in my hair. I would love to stretch washes longer, but alas, the dead skin cells force me to wash