This is interesting, my DDad and I were just talking about this the other day. He grew up in the backwoods of Arkansas and at a time that they were dirt poor, and yes that did mean that they had a dirt floor in all of the rooms, except the kitchen. He said that they used the ACV that his mom and grandma put by, as well as lye soap. But the lye soap was not an every week thing. But he said that this was only in the summer, in the winter, they just didn't do anything. Ummmm, errr, yuck! He did say that IF there was a great need to bathe then they did have a big tub that could be used, but that the only ones who did were the woman in the winter. He said, that they bathed in the creek when they did. Boy the things that we take for granted.

My great grandma was native american and they used wood ashes and water, or yucca root, that was also available in Oklahoma and Texas where they lived. I have used yucca and it works if you grind it finely enough.

I was talking to my DDad about this because that hair that you find in old pics is soooo much better than the hair that you see today. Anyway my family is getting used to me being hair obsessed.