Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Too slippery' for braids?

Length
    pixie/waist/tb
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default 'Too slippery' for braids?

I had a co-worker who is skilled in all manner of braids do my hair today.

While she has had no issue doing double dutch or rope braids on other people mine was just too fine and slippery to stay. She tried to do a rope first, then a dutch, and both times even with a firm grip the hair slid very loose in the start of the braid by the time she reached the nape.

She had to double french braid it so that the start was semi-hidden. Do you other fine-straight hairs have this problem?

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I am not fine or straight haired but I would try waiting until your hair is a little dirty and/or misting with water before braiding. You could add some aloe gel or even another kind of stronger holding gel also that should help. I used to know a girl that wore a french braid all the time and she had the same problem and did what I suggested above. If all else fails you could always do a half up with a small barrette and then french braid the rest. That is what I did when I was learning.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    7/BSL/IDK
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I did have a problem with braids not staying put. My hair is extremely slippery and works itself out of every style I attempt. And if I waited for it to be a little dirty, then it would separate and look nasty. The only way braids really worked for me was to start with clean, damp hair, comb with a very fine tooth comb and then braid carefully. Even then, within four hours, pieces would be hanging out. My length was short of BSL, though, and that probably didn't help.

Length
    bald/waist/term?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I have to braid my hair after it is just washed and lightly oiled or it is impossible. Even then, after a few hours it starts to rearrange itself. I consider it a sign of healthy hair because when my hair was damaged I could braid it dry and I guess all the split ends velcroed the braid in place but now I can't do a dry braid at all. Oh, I also cannot bun my dry hair either, which is aggravating when I am at home.

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm not sure if I have this problem. My braids always look farther back than other people's, so I'm going to assume yes, but I've never braided someone else's hair so I don't know.
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Length
    31/56.5/term

Raising hand...mine always 'loosen' up, and other people were never able to braid my hair. Let's just say I never even had braids as a child, as mum couldn't braid it. It took a lot of practice to even get decent ones, and they're still loose. Fine, sliiick hair.

I can't do tight braids, no mater how hard I try. I've even braided, gone back and tightened everything (and braid a few more inches), and it still loosens! They want to loosen and drape a bit...especially, yeah, at the nape, although the same will happen with any kind of braid I do (and not just at the nape). The nicest braids I get are done on clean, damp/wet hair, and they don't stay 'nice' long...before hairs start working their way out, etc. Dirty, and scalp shows (and it can still be too slick, so then it's just piecey and sagging, which is sooo not pretty).

Just random, but I tend to start french/dutch braids with all the front hair, rather than 'properly', but a lot of that is because I don't like scalp showing. That, and when it starts loosening/draping, it looks a bit nicer, it seems.

I haven't braided too many other people's hair, but let's just say chin length, courser, wavier hair was sooo easy compared to mine. And it stayed put, too.

? F i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Oh, I also cannot bun my dry hair either, which is aggravating when I am at home.
    Have you given my 10sec bun in the articles section a shot? I can't do a cinnamon bun for the life of me, it slides right out, hence my needing a different thing that worked. I started trying various things and that bun holds with all my toys. And it's like getting a face lift so tight when using a fork (wiggle the bun). Might be something to try.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've braided a lot of people's hair, and I find that straight hair that won't hold a curl won't accept a braid easily, either.

Length
    24/28/33.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I cannot do french herring bone as it will not stay. But as you can see in my avator, I can do Dutch and french. I try to start relatively small, and keep hold of of it. I don't how to do 4 or more. My hair has to be washed everyday, and needs to be totally dry before I can work with it. Otherwise it clumps and look like it hasn't been washed in a week.
    [URL="http://Hair1.jpg"][SIGPIC]

Length
    12/46/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

My hair is quite straight, and thin and fine. I don't have much of a problem getting it to stay in braids, but I think it's because I have no layers, and I only braid "dirty" hair - I never braid the first day after I wash, and by then it always has some hair spray in it (as well as my after-wash products, such as leave-ins and oils). I can't do my hair without hairspray, or it ends up a flat straight mess.

If hair spray is not anethema to you, I'd suggest that you brush it out, spritz it all over with a light hold hair spray, and brush again before you try to braid.