Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of a cowlick- or whatever you call it

Length
    15"/15"/29
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default How to get rid of a cowlick- or whatever you call it

I've never heard of a cowlick until I took the first pic of the back of my head to post on here.

I have a bald spot on the back of my head and someone called it a cowlick, or where the hair parts.

Is there anyway to get rid of this "cowlick" or bald spot or whatever it is???
    For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.
    For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it.
    For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it. -Ivan Panin

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: How to get rid of a cowlick- or whatever you call it

I have one too which looks like a bald spot (I have extremely white skin, especially my scalp, and darker hair. contrast is not my friend up there.)

what I did - I started the part of my hair directly on the cowlick, dragging it straight to the hairline. this way the cowlick simply looks like the end of a part, and not a random bald spot. the part in my case is way more to the side than I've ever worn, but whatever works. I was very frustrated and depressed over this cowlick, because I have thin, fine hair with not much volume and I really don't need anyone to think I am going bald.

nordic hennahead

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i

Is it actually a bald spot, or just where the hair parts? Can you comb it another way when wet, so as to hide it?

My dd has a scar on her head where no hair grows, from an accident when she was a toddler. Unfortunately, it falls right next to the middle of her head, so any time I part her hair all the way down (like for pigtails or 2 french braids) it shows. I wonder what it would cost to have it tattoed brown to match...

I know what I'll do... I'll use a brown sharpie marker!!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

I'm a stylist...

All that causes a cowlick is the direction the hair grows in. There's not really anything you can do other than trying to part your hair differently, growing it out more, or in some cases cutting some off (NOOOOO) to "get rid of it" and it won't really be gone anyway, just disguised. The best thing I can say is try to get used to it. Try different things to disguise it. But you can't lose it.

Btw, I have a big ol' whirlygig cowlick at my crown too. It never goes away. I hate it. I have to live with it. It drives me CRAZY.

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

With mine, if I comb my hair when it's wet, it dries to hide it. Unfortunately, I rarely comb my hair when wet, but I can coax the hairs to lay a little different. You can blow-dry it and that'll help too, but I avoid that as well.

The greasier my hair, the more mine shows. At that point, the hair really wants to lay the way it wants, not how I try to make it.

Type
    1b/F/ii

oh btw - I cannot comb my hair over the cowlick because then it will look exactly that - a comb-over. like on old balding men. even more unflattering and awkward.

nordic hennahead

Length
    15"/15"/29
    Type
    1a/F/ii

This is what it looks like:
    Last edited by Yedda; August 18th, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
    For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.
    For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it.
    For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it. -Ivan Panin

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lenac View Post

Here is my picture of it. The thing is...I don't think it used to be there and I didn't shave my head and let it grow back so why would my hair be growing in like this now?
    Sometimes they don't show up until they get a certain length and then they pop in. Sometimes if you grow them out the weight pulls the hairs down and disguises one but then if you cut it short again BOOM it's right back. My guess is you always had it, but since your hair is getting longer it's just now showing up.

Length
    23/32/??
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I have to comb over the cowlick immediately after air drying my hair... Or do an updo which forces the hair to lay flat over it (which is what I do normally). However, a few days after washing, the cowlick battles its way up to the surface again. I can fight it back a bit with a bit of moisture (water and then comb), but it's a hopeless combat.
    Lady Aglaea of the Cascading Falls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rymorg2 View Post
    or in some cases cutting some off (NOOOOO) to "get rid of it" and it won't really be gone anyway,

When I was in 7th grade, I had bangs cut in. Problem? I have an enormous cowlick dead center on my hairline in front.

A few months before my school photo was taken I decided that I would simply cut the bangs off... OFF... at the hairline.

When the photo was taken, the hair that had grown in was sticking straight out. I'll try to find it and scan it in to show you how *not* to deal with a cowlick
    Back after a loooonnngg hiatus. 🌷Going Gray