Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hairstyles suitable for sports?

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Hairstyles suitable for sports?

As my hair grows longer, I'm in need of new hairstyles, especially for when I'm doing sports (I do vaulting, which in short is gymnastics on a horse). Untill now, the only two styles that have worked out all right are ponytail and french braid - and now I'm having trouble with the ponytail because my hair gets tangled and I'm afraid it causes too much damage. I haven't yet found any buns that stay. The main problem is, I can't have a lot of "stuff" in my hair, since my sport is a bit rough and hairsticks and forks and such might break or poke somebody's eyes out...

So, I'm just wondering if you know any hairstyles that are really secure, without a lot of accessories in it?
    How do you wear your hair for such activities?

Length
    short/tlb/long
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Hairstyles suitable for sports?

I've been having the same problem since I've started working out again, but my sport isn't as rough as yours (I do fitness, yay -_-')

Styles use are
    *french braid
    *rope braid
    *normal braid
    *segment ponytail (don't know if it's also called like that in English..)
    *sock bun

I wear the sock bun all the time. You don't have to use expensive hairtoys to secure it, and I don't think it'll poke anyone's eyes out

Still, I'm looking for some sport-hairstyles too, so I'll be watching this thread

Length
    Pixie/TBL/Fins
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I use this one when I did Yoga and it was perfect for keeping it out of my way. For working out, a ponytail or bun may be best, but here is this one you can give it a shot.

Just a Little Twisted

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Since it's not a contact sport, could you get away with using hair scroos to bun your hair? They screw into the hair, so they don't come out very easily (unlike pins).

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I like doing braided bun with U-pins for sports. Well, for sports that don't require helmets or masks. I haven't quite figured out what to do for those.

Length
    11/47/60
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

If it's long enough you might want to try taping it. The only accessory is ribbon, which won't poke anyone. I made a tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME . If it's not long enough to go all the way around your head, don't fret. You can do French pigtails (or regular ones) and wrap them around the back and sew them that way...or go over the top and do the milk maid thing. Securing your hair by sewing it with ribbon is super secure and comfy and you won't have to worry about losing pins or things when doing anything vigorous.

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

For PE class, when I never know what we'll be doing, or soccer, I braid and then use an elastic to double/triple/quadruple up the length of the braid. (It's a common method for creating a 'bun' among today's youth. You start like making a pony tail, but don't bring the end all the way through. I repeat a few times so that it's more bun-sized.) Then it's at the base of my head, allowing the back of my head to rest on things when we do crunches and such, but is also short enough to get in the way. (Depending on hair slipperiness and grippiness of elastics, it may take a few tries to get the method down, and I can't promise it WILL work.)

So yeah. For less rough sports (running, for instance) I put it up in a log roll with a Ficcare.
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Length
    22/28/waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

You might want to consider french or dutch braid pigtails. Depending upon your length, you could put a small bun in the back, secured with elastics.
    Lady Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

when my daughter dances, I put her hair in an easy secure bun with a hair tool called "EZ Bun" that's basically a wire with cloth sewed around it and a hole through the middle of the cloth part. You slip your ponytail through the hole and slide it towards the ends of your hair. Then you just sort of roll it up, shape it into a circle and twist the ends to secure the bun. It holds through just about anything and there is nothing sharp or hard to get in your way. Your hair doesn't need to be super long, either.

I've seen homemade versions of them on Etsy and craft fairs.

Edit: you might check out a dance store. The one I used to go to for my daughter's stuff had lots of these sorts of EZ-Bun things for sale, as well as many other tools for making easy tight buns.
    Last edited by Sunshine69; February 10th, 2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: more info
    Lady Parvati, Messenger of Unity in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine69 View Post
    when my daughter dances, I put her hair in an easy secure bun with a hair tool called "EZ Bun" that's basically a wire with cloth sewed around it and a hole through the middle of the cloth part. You slip your ponytail through the hole and slide it towards the ends of your hair. Then you just sort of roll it up, shape it into a circle and twist the ends to secure the bun. It holds through just about anything and there is nothing sharp or hard to get in your way. Your hair doesn't need to be super long, either.

I've seen homemade versions of them on Etsy and craft fairs.

Edit: you might check out a dance store. The one I used to go to for my daughter's stuff had lots of these sorts of EZ-Bun things for sale, as well as many other tools for making easy tight buns.
    I had a few of these until just recently - my mom turned me on to them. If you do have waist-length hair or longer, they get complicated because, well, my arms weren't long enough So my mom has three more EZ Buns now.

They do work magnificently though. Mom's hair is right below shoulder and she loves them.
    Back after a loooonnngg hiatus. 🌷Going Gray