Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Burdock Root Oil?

  1. #1
    Member herbgurl82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    32
    Posts
    299
    Length
    waist/BSL/class
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

    Question Burdock Root Oil?

    Does anyone know of any good sources for burdock root oil? Is it sold diluted in a carrier oil or is it sold as a EO? I have heard that burdock root is good for promoting hair growth and thickness, and would like to try it. Has anyone tried this? (I did a search but did not come up with anything on just burdock root oil.) Good, bad, indifferent? Any suggestions on where to buy it and how to use it?
    Thanks!
    1C/F/ii/iii 34"/36"?/Classic

  2. #2
    Mad Scientist mira-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,567
    Length
    28/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: Burdock Root Oil?

    I've never seen it sold as an EO, usually it's extracted straight into a carrier oil. It's a traditional hair oil in Russia, so if you have a Russian or Eastern European pharmacy (Apteka) near you, you may find it there. You could probably find it online to order, if it helps in Russian it's called "Repeinoe maslo" (maslo = oil)

    If you have dried Burdock root available you can make the oil yourself by infusing it into an oil either by putting it in the oil and letting it sit a few weeks in the sun or by simmering it in the oil.

    I've used it and it's usually infused into olive oil that my hair doesn't like. It's ok but not a favorite. I gave my bottle to AlbaNY who loved it. It seems to work better with finer hair (mine is coarse) so it migth work very nicely for you.

    This is the one I tried. There is no mineral oil in it, I don't have the bottle now so can't list the ingredients but they are all good.
    http://www.homeapteka.com/productdet...FQXGsgodsw98Zw

  3. #3
    A redhead brunette Heidi_234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oblivionville
    Posts
    3,647
    Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Burdock Root Oil?

    When I asked for Burdock oil in the local nature pharmacy I was told that they don't carry it because it's hard to find a good manufacture. I can't remember exactly what was the thing, but it seems most of them are made the wrong way (maybe something to do with the pressing, or bleaching the color, I really don't remember) and it destroys all the properties of the oil, making it, well, useless. So do your homework guys so you won't through money in the air.
    So cute to see you talk russian mira-chan lol, being from eastern europe I picked up some remnants of it, so I know few words heh. I'm not sure about the oil name, but the flower itself called lopuh (lo-poo-h)

    Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

  4. #4
    Mad Scientist mira-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,567
    Length
    28/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: Burdock Root Oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    When I asked for Burdock oil in the local nature pharmacy I was told that they don't carry it because it's hard to find a good manufacture. I can't remember exactly what was the thing, but it seems most of them are made the wrong way (maybe something to do with the pressing, or bleaching the color, I really don't remember) and it destroys all the properties of the oil, making it, well, useless. So do your homework guys so you won't through money in the air.
    So cute to see you talk russian mira-chan lol, being from eastern europe I picked up some remnants of it, so I know few words heh. I'm not sure about the oil name, but the flower itself called lopuh (lo-poo-h)
    Yup, the plant is called Lopuh or Repeinik, the flowers were the inspiration for velcro. I'm Russian so that's how I know it. I see te oil imported but there is a huge variety of hair oils in Russia, burdock being the most common. The one I linked it the most commonly sold and it's pretty good. As far as I know it's properly extracted. That company makes lots of varieties some inlude jojoba oil, wheat germ oil, nettle and other herbs.

    I have seen purer burdock oil but that's available in small dark glass bottles in Russian pharmacies only. I've never seen it in other pharmacies.

  5. #5
    A redhead brunette Heidi_234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oblivionville
    Posts
    3,647
    Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Burdock Root Oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by mira-chan View Post
    Yup, the plant is called Lopuh or Repeinik, the flowers were the inspiration for velcro. I'm Russian so that's how I know it. I see te oil imported but there is a huge variety of hair oils in Russia, burdock being the most common. The one I linked it the most commonly sold and it's pretty good. As far as I know it's properly extracted. That company makes lots of varieties some inlude jojoba oil, wheat germ oil, nettle and other herbs.

    I have seen purer burdock oil but that's available in small dark glass bottles in Russian pharmacies only. I've never seen it in other pharmacies.
    Oh my bad! Teaching a russian Russian
    I'm sure they got it right there, and it's just might be harder to come by outside Russia, just thought to give a heads up. It's nothing new, some oils that are sold for cosmetic use are bleached to make them appear more appealing and lose some qualities, kind of silly I think.

    Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

  6. #6
    Mad Scientist mira-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,567
    Length
    28/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: Burdock Root Oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    Oh my bad! Teaching a russian Russian
    I'm sure they got it right there, and it's just might be harder to come by outside Russia, just thought to give a heads up. It's nothing new, some oils that are sold for cosmetic use are bleached to make them appear more appealing and lose some qualities, kind of silly I think.
    Don't worry about it. What part of Easter Europe are you from? I'm from St. Petersberg. ^_^

    Definitely, I encounter it with camellia and coconut oils especially. The Russian sore oils tend to be purer, less tampered with as herbal medicine is very commonly practiced and homeopaths prescribe the oils for skin applications and such. Russian products are exported and they are the same as the ones sold in Russia (I checked when I visited family.) So if you can find a good export source, you should be ok.

    It is silly to remove the beneficial properties. Though I know why they do it. One reason is that the oil lasts longer then, another is that it lessens the amount of possible allergens in there. People assume that just because something natural it's automatically safe and just slather it on, when you need to test every new oil for allergic reactions.

    If you find a site that lists ingredients/ information in Russian and want something translated feel free to PM me, I'll have a try at it.

  7. #7
    Member herbgurl82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    32
    Posts
    299
    Length
    waist/BSL/class
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

    Default Re: Burdock Root Oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by mira-chan View Post
    I've never seen it sold as an EO, usually it's extracted straight into a carrier oil. It's a traditional hair oil in Russia, so if you have a Russian or Eastern European pharmacy (Apteka) near you, you may find it there. You could probably find it online to order, if it helps in Russian it's called "Repeinoe maslo" (maslo = oil)

    If you have dried Burdock root available you can make the oil yourself by infusing it into an oil either by putting it in the oil and letting it sit a few weeks in the sun or by simmering it in the oil.

    I've used it and it's usually infused into olive oil that my hair doesn't like. It's ok but not a favorite. I gave my bottle to AlbaNY who loved it. It seems to work better with finer hair (mine is coarse) so it migth work very nicely for you.

    This is the one I tried. There is no mineral oil in it, I don't have the bottle now so can't list the ingredients but they are all good.
    http://www.homeapteka.com/productdet...FQXGsgodsw98Zw
    Thank you Mira Chan! I don't have a Russian Pharmacy near me, but I will try the link that you posted online. In the meantime, I will check my local health food stores to see if they have any dried in their bulk herb section. Now to decide which oil would work best...
    1C/F/ii/iii 34"/36"?/Classic

  8. #8
    Mad Scientist mira-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,567
    Length
    28/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: Burdock Root Oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by herbgurl82 View Post
    Thank you Mira Chan! I don't have a Russian Pharmacy near me, but I will try the link that you posted online. In the meantime, I will check my local health food stores to see if they have any dried in their bulk herb section. Now to decide which oil would work best...
    You're welcome.
    I found that sesame oil, Indian not Asian, works very nicely for heat/ cooking infusion. For the cold infusion, letting it sit, it depends on what your hair likes, olive oil is commonly used, jojoba and wheatgerm would work nicely too.

  9. #9
    A redhead brunette Heidi_234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oblivionville
    Posts
    3,647
    Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Burdock Root Oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by mira-chan View Post
    Don't worry about it. What part of Easter Europe are you from? I'm from St. Petersberg. ^_^

    Definitely, I encounter it with camellia and coconut oils especially. The Russian sore oils tend to be purer, less tampered with as herbal medicine is very commonly practiced and homeopaths prescribe the oils for skin applications and such. Russian products are exported and they are the same as the ones sold in Russia (I checked when I visited family.) So if you can find a good export source, you should be ok.

    It is silly to remove the beneficial properties. Though I know why they do it. One reason is that the oil lasts longer then, another is that it lessens the amount of possible allergens in there. People assume that just because something natural it's automatically safe and just slather it on, when you need to test every new oil for allergic reactions.

    If you find a site that lists ingredients/ information in Russian and want something translated feel free to PM me, I'll have a try at it.
    And I always thought you're one of our lovely Indian ladies, with all your knowledge and stuff when you're actually from St. Petersburg, you must be a real royalty! I've never been there myself, but folks seem to be very high in opinion about this city and whoever lives there.
    Thank you so so much , I'll keep that in mind if I ever need help my Russian

    Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

  10. #10
    Mad Scientist mira-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,567
    Length
    28/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: Burdock Root Oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    And I always thought you're one of our lovely Indian ladies, with all your knowledge and stuff when you're actually from St. Petersburg, you must be a real royalty! I've never been there myself, but folks seem to be very high in opinion about this city and whoever lives there.
    Thank you so so much , I'll keep that in mind if I ever need help my Russian
    You're welcome.

    Heh, Indian I am not though I have a similar hair type. Royalty I am not though I do have some nobility (great- great grandma) in the ancestry, though Belorussian not Russian. It is a pretty city, though sadly not the safest right now. I'm glad people still look at it in a positive light.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •