Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with mineral oil?

Default What's wrong with mineral oil?

I've noticed that no one uses mineral oil on their hair, why is that?

I started using tres flores (mineral oil and fragrance) and to my surprise it absorbs well and doesn't leave my hair looking oiled.

So why is it not popular to use?

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Most people don't use it because they don't like using petroleum products (blame the big oil companies).

http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/11/2...al-oil-part-1/

Mineral oil won't hurt your hair, but depending on your hair, it may not help it either.

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

All I know is mineral oil (to me) feels greasy and is hard to wash off without using some strong stuff. I frequently do water only bath so I definitely don't want greasy stuff on my body.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Mineral oil doesn't benefit your hair in the least, although it may enhance the appearance. Coconut oil is absorbed, adds moisture, and prevents protein loss. Other vegetable/fruit oils are beneficial as well.

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Mineral oil coats the skin and locks out moisture, so I assume it does similar things to hair. Whenever I used to use petroleum jelly on my skin, it'd feel soft for a while until the coating wore off then it was even drier than ever.

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

One thing is that it has no benefits for the hair. It just seems to mostly coat the hair, and can be a bit hard to wash out sometimes. The other thing is, it makes my skin break out. Acne prone as I am, I really cant use such products. I think companies that put mineral oil in hair products must do it for the consistency or something.

Length
    28"/42.5"/48"
    Type
    3c/M/C/iii

It makes me itchy and makes my scalp break out. . . not good.
    Lady Starr Weaver of the Celestial Heavens in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    3b, M/C, iii, 40"
    Straightened length with fairy tale ends in siggie pic

Length
    20"/42"/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Mineral oil doesn't benefit your hair in the least, although it may enhance the appearance. Coconut oil is absorbed, adds moisture, and prevents protein loss. Other vegetable/fruit oils are beneficial as well.
    Agreed about the coconut oil. Too bad I'm out and have no transportation to go anywhere right now.

Quote Originally Posted by prosperina View Post
    Mineral oil coats the skin and locks out moisture, so I assume it does similar things to hair. Whenever I used to use petroleum jelly on my skin, it'd feel soft for a while until the coating wore off then it was even drier than ever.
    Yep. I think this is probably the reason people use it in their products, especially in "moisturizing" products, like lotions. So that people will think it is helping, but then they will need it again soon after. Sells more bottles. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Starr View Post
    It makes me itchy and makes my scalp break out. . . not good.
    This happens to me with anything I use on my body that involves it.
    I've heard of several other women being allergic to it as well, so I guess it is an irritant in some way.
    ~Ny
    Lady Nynaeve of the Sword in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Inflammatory Breast Cancer - No Lumps, Not detected by mammograms.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=63326

"Some women don't want the land, or gold. Just the man..." ~Nynaeve
    "For in the plot we find more than just a man, we find the idea of that man, the spirit of that man, and that is what we must never forget." Evey (V)

Length
    APL/waist/even
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Interesting... I've read the same about cones here and it went out that is kind of umm superstition, not necessarily true...

Length
    -/knee/-
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I, for one, am not really sure if there's any big difference between the effects paraffin has on your hair (!) and the effects of other oils. The main thing oil is supposed to do is to prevent your hair from drying out. Oil preserves moisture - and as far as I know, you could use every kind of oil or fat to do that. Of course, every oil or fat has its different properties, so the way hair feels after using whatever oil will of course vary from person to person. But the main effect, that of preserving the moisture, will be the same in general.
    But, as somebody already mentioned, there may be other reasons for refraining from using paraffin. However, if you feel comfortable with it and it works well for your hair, I don't see why you shouldn't use it.

I mostly refrain from using mineral oil for ecological reasons. Also, regarding the use of paraffin on the skin (!), I often read that it may accumulate in the kidneys and cause damages after some time. This is not yet scientifically proven, however.

~Lady Kuan Yin of the Tempest Tossed Waves in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~