Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get the scalp clean with CO?

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default how to get the scalp clean with CO?

I've tried to CO but it isn't working that great... I started by washing with a cone- and mineraloil-free shampoo to get off the resedue, and then a cone- and mineraloil-free conditioner. After that I can wash with CO one time and the result is good, but after the secon time the hair at the scalp feels greasy and dirty (if I position it in some way it stays that way because of the filth). Though I wash the same way both times!
    The problem may be that I can't get the conditioner out of the scalp, but how do I manage with this..? I rinsed for 15 minutes last time and even did a AVC after, but the hair was greasy anyway.

Can someone say what I'm doing wrong or how I could fix this? I really want to go CO.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Hmm.. Do you emulsify how much? I tend to massage the conditioner to the scalp after letting it sit for 5 minutes. I just add some water and massage, I do it for minute or so. I can get it to foam too.

And another thing comes to mind, what condish' did you use? I mean was it light enough for CO, useally the heavier conditioner aren't the best for over all CO. I use them just to the few last inches.
    Lady Illmater Mother of Väinämöinen in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by savi View Post
    Hmm.. Do you emulsify how much? I tend to massage the conditioner to the scalp after letting it sit for 5 minutes. I just add some water and massage, I do it for minute or so. I can get it to foam too.

And another thing comes to mind, what condish' did you use? I mean was it light enough for CO, useally the heavier conditioner aren't the best for over all CO. I use them just to the few last inches.
    I echo this. Have you tried different conditioners?

Length
    .25"/??/??
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Try different conditioners. My SO tends to have good luck with Natures Gate, there's also a lot of people that suggest White Rain and VO5 as well.

Let it sit on the hair for the entire time you're in the shower and when you rinse, make sure you rinse very well, at least 2 minutes. I found massaging the scalp really helps loosen up any oils as well. Following up with an ACV rinse helps remove any build up and further conditions the hair.

The SO does it twice. He does a light CO where he massages the stuff into his scalp then rinses, then does a heavier coat, massaging that into his scalp and lets it sit for the rest of his shower.

CO takes some people awhile to get the hang of. The first time I tried it it was nothing but fail. Second time I tried it, it worked beautifully.

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I put on the conditioner, let it sit for 3-5 minutes, massage and rinse. I'm using X-tra right now, I can't say yet how it works because I've only washed with it once. Before this I used Rainbow that I heard was ok too...

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCreature View Post
    I put on the conditioner, let it sit for 3-5 minutes, massage and rinse. I'm using X-tra right now, I can't say yet how it works because I've only washed with it once. Before this I used Rainbow that I heard was ok too...
    Don't know how much of a difference this might make, but I put it on, massage, then let it sit, then rinse. Instead of letting it sit before I massage. Perhaps that'll help?

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Aisling had a really good post about finnish CO conditioners in our social group. Here's the link.
    Lady Illmater Mother of Väinämöinen in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

It's best to let the conditioner sit for awhile, 3 to 5 minutes is NOT long enough for my hair.

When I can, I let the conditioner sit for 30 minutes--this requires applying conditioner prior to getting into the shower.

I also have better results when I apply conditioner to dry hair as opposed to wet.

I have acceptable results, however, when applying to wet hair and only letting it sit for about 15 minutes. Not as nice as applying to dry hair and letting it sit for 30, but definitely acceptable.

If I let the conditioner sit for only 5 minutes I'd be a greasebucket.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCreature View Post
    I haven't tested the Rainbow one but the X-tra worked well for me. Savi already posted the link to a list I've made with CO suitable conditioners around here and you should have enough posts by now to be able to see it. It might really be worth trying another one, Sokos is btw selling the BioRich AromaTherapy one right now on 3+1.

Other than that I can only echo what others have said, try add the conditioner to dry hair for a longer soak, massage, rinse very well. Then, we just have to accept that CO won't work for everybody, I have to use shampoo every now and then myself to keep my scalp happy. Diluted shampoo, test a milder one (I like Elokuu), is a really good way to gently clean your scalp and hair as well.

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

In addition to what has already been suggested - how much conditioner are you using for your CO washes? It's possible you aren't using enough. Also, did you clarify first before going CO? Maybe you have left-over build-up. Some people go through a transition period when they go CO too, where their hair/scalp adjusts to the new routine so maybe you just need to give it more time.