Thread: Scarf bun? How-to tips please!

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Talking Scarf bun? How-to tips please!

I saw a girl at work today with what I bthought was an enormous bun on the back of her head. When I got closer I could see she had a fine knit mesh black scarf covering her hair. I'd put her hairtype as in the 'kinky 4's' from what I could see of it. Anyway, it looked like the scarf was close and fitted to her head (perhaps it had some stretch?) but then it was wrapped around the bun in a really neat way.

The bun itself from what I could see was a smooth knot of hair covered by the scarf. Like when you stretch a stocking over a darning mushroom to stitch it. The length and ends of the scarf were then wrapped round that, keeping the 'darning mushroom' part of the bun smooth. This then added dimension to the bun. The bun itself if you can imagine it looked like a fried egg; the darning mushroom part (hair covered by scarf) would be the yolk, and the scarf wrapped round with no hair in it would be the white. I know it's a weird way to describe it but thats what it made me think of. The ends of the scarf were then tucked into the underside of the bun. It looked awesome.

I've looked for scarf bun but can't find any style instructions. Is there anyone out there who could tell me how it's done? I know it cant just be a case of 'wrap scarf round head'. It was just so smooth over the head itself and then equally smooth over the bun before it was wrapped around.

I hope I've explained it well enough so someone will recognise this style. I'd love to be able to do it but I dont dare go looking for the girl at work to ask her. Please let me know.

Thanks!

ETA - I found it! Well it was smaller than this one, but still, it's the same in principle.
    http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/bun.pl
    Sorry for taking up your time
    Last edited by Loviatar; January 27th, 2009 at 07:14 AM. Reason: added linky
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: Scarf bun? How-to tips please!

Oh, no, you should ask her! She might be one of *us*

I know I'm really happy to help people achive a new style...And if it's really nifty, heck, we might have a new style to try out.

Please, please Lovi, go ask her.

Length
    shldr/MBAv2/trml
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Scarf bun? How-to tips please!

Go to youtube and search for head wraps. There are loads of videos showing how to do them. My favourite was where the lady uses a wooly shawl and mentions using skirts on hers. She must have some strong neck muscles.