Thread: Any suggestions for applying herbal mud dye?

Length
    bald/waist/term?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Default Any suggestions for applying herbal mud dye?

I am sitting here with diluted Logona hair color in my hair hoping I didn't just waste my money. I mixed 2 packs according to directions and got a big bowl of mud. I merrily begin applying it to my dry hair and realized I couldn't get it to all my roots and on top of that, I ran out of stuff way before I got to the bottom of my hair. One packet of this stuff is enough for shoulder length hair so it seemed to me that 2 would work for waist length thinner hair. I started to wash it out as soon as I applied it because I do not want patchy hair, but after it got wetter, I was able to completely cover my hair with the stuff. I am going to see if it does anything this way.

My question is really, how the heck are you supposed to be able to get to the roots with a freaking mud? I used the same technique as I would with chemical dye: dry hair, starting at the roots from front to back, covering the top of my head, and then working down all over until reaching the ends. Apparently this doesn't work with this stuff and I have no clue how else to apply it. I really want to be able to use something other than box dye.

Length
    pixie/waist/tb
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: Any suggestions for applying herbal mud dye?

To get roots with a mud-thickness hair treatment I always found the best way to do it was to have towel-dry hair and smoosh handfuls in and rub them a bit. There should be no harm in making it thinner than the directions say to if that helps you. Once the color is in and my hair is saran wrapped, i smoosh some more.
    I know it's not scientific, but I don't have issues getting root coverage this way.
    You could also use a nozzle-tipped bottle like one from old hair color or condiments if having the pointed tip helps you, just make sure to enlarge the hole with a knife if you need to.

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

When I apply henna (mud), I first section my hair off and put it into a bunch of small braids. I then use a pastry brush type thing to paint the henna onto the roots around each braid (having the length contained makes it easier to get at the roots, and easier to check coverage with a mirror). Then I undo one braid, "paint" it with the henna mud, and wrap around my head. Repeat, undoing and painting one braid at a time. Smoosh a bit more onto your head, wrap, and wait.

I have almost hip length, iii hair and I only need 150grams or so of henna using this method. I find I get fewer tangles, too.

Length
    bald/waist/term?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Thanks, guys. I will try your tips when I buy henna, since I think it will work better than this stuff.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Yes, really it works easier on towel dried hair. Then part it (either with braids) or I use the pick end of a hair tint brush, and apply the mud down in the part. Keep repeating until you cover all the scalp.

It will also help if the mud is like a pudding consistency, it will be easier to spread.

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Oh yes. I agree with Mellie. If you make a slightly thinner consistency, like pudding or pancake batter, and apply with a tint brush, you'll get the pesky roots. And you will $ave some henna, you will need slightly less!

Length
    31/Class/term

I go even thinner than pudding. Whipping cream. Pourable but not too drippy. It's way less trauma for your hair, and better coverage with less product.

Type
    1b/F/ii

I section my hair into rough quarters and moosh the henna in with my hainds (brushes are too confusing for me, lol). I don't have thick hair so it works. my hair is damp when I henna and I make the henna paste about as thick as yoghurt. lots of mooshing!

even as uncoordinated as I am and no helping hands other than my own, I have managed very solid covering with no patches.

braiding seems a very logical thing to do, maybe I'll have to resort to this when my hair is longer.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Girltron View Post
    I go even thinner than pudding. Whipping cream. Pourable but not too drippy. It's way less trauma for your hair, and better coverage with less product.
    Same for me I do this consistancy any thicker and it would be impossible for me.