Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirror for seeing the back of your head?

Length
    23/30/35
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Mirror for seeing the back of your head?

Is it just because I am a newbie to all this fancy hairstyling that I want/need a mirror to see the back of my head?

What kind of mirror set up do you use while styling?

I was thinking of getting a long extending mirror like this one - http://www.mirrorplace.com/store/pro...cat=262&page=2

and I also came across this, though I am not sure if it would extend long enough to work (I might have to sit on my counter while styling). But I like that you can move it and it's not permanent.
    http://www.mirrorplace.com/store/pro...cat=257&page=1

and there is also that bendable one you can put around your neck (don't have the link ATM).
    Last edited by karisaf; January 24th, 2009 at 09:42 AM.

Length
    16.5/37.4/38
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Mirror for seeing the back of your head?

Oh no, I use one. I think the most of us use a second mirror to check the updos on the backside. I have a small hand mirror. And I often use the mirror of my make-up purse to see the back of my head.
    I don't do updos while looking in a second mirror, because my arms would tangle up when I see the movements in opposite direction!
    Last edited by Bluebell; January 24th, 2009 at 11:38 AM.

Length
    waist/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I don't use a mirror while styling. My mom has a double sided mirror (regular mirror on one side and a 10x close up mirror on the other side) and I use that to check that my hair looks somewhat good. I would go nuts if I had to use the second mirror all the time while styling.
    Lady Delgado of the Red Rose Tower in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    chin/tb/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I'll chime in with others. I only use a little mirror to check the back after I'm done. My brain would get confused trying to watch myself backwards.

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I use a small hand mirror I got at the dollar store. It's probably almost 10 years old now. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. I only use it at the end to make sure everything is in place.

Puttering around somwhere MusingFrog's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TB/...
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I think you want to learn how to do the styles be feel. Since you are new to them, it may seem that things are really complicated because you can't see, but after a few tries you'll start to get used to fiddling with your hair without seeing it. If you are doing something complicated, you may want to use a mirror to check the back midway through, but I wouldn't try to do the updo while looking in the mirror - way to confusing!

As others said, I normally just check the hair when I'm done. If something is out of place I'll fiddle with it till it is right, but most of the time I don't have that problem. I have a full length mirror in my room and a smaller mirror (though it is still big, roughly 14" x 10") that I use to check the back. But a small hand-held mirror should do just fine.

Length
    23/30/35
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I can see how doing things by feel would be easiest (that is how I have done french twists, etc up to now) but sometimes they are crooked or there is a loop of hair sticking up and I thought maybe being able to check mid-styling to make sure none of these things are happening would be good. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear the general concensus on this! (save my money on the mirror and buy a new hair toy or two LOL).

I style my hair by feel then check the back with a mirror after I'm done. I think it would get too confusing to be looking at the back while I'm styling.

Length
    shdlr/30.5/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

Just to chime in with the majority here- I style by feel and then check with a small hand held mirror when done. The nice thing is that I am competent enough with my updos now that I can do a beautiful one anywhere and a mirror is not necessary. My fingers know what to do and how it should feel.
    Just keep growing....

Longhaired Intellectual Periwinkle's Avatar
    Length
    ~APL+/waist/TB+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I use a mirror that was in the top of a musical box I had when I was very young. The box is long gone (and its ghastly music with it!) but somehow the lid hung around, and it has a mirror in it. I have to hold it up so I only check at the end.

I carry a compact with me in my bag, which I sometimes use to check in bathroom mirrors.

September 2013 - waist length (though not on its best day!)
    Back to the LHC regime, let's finally get past waist length!
    ~ Lady Tyche of the Blessed Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~