Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Up-Dos for people with ears that stick out

Length
    nape/waist/hip
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Up-Dos for people with ears that stick out

My glasses make my ears stick out, and since my hair is very fine and mostly straight, covering my ears is not an option. There just isn't enough hair to do the job. To solve the problem, I make sure that my hair is not pulled back too tightly. Hair combs, as someone else suggested, also help to provide lift to the hair behind you ears. If I put my hair in a ponytail, I use my fingers to push forward on the sides of my head to loosen the hair from the elastic band a little. Also, head bands can be a real help if you like them; the band itself creates some bulk behind your ears and also lets you create the little poof in your hair. I also bought a fabric head band at Claire's Boutique. It has elastic at the bottom of it so that I can wear it over the tips of my ears or just behind--I love it!

Here are some sites with the kind of fabric head band I'm talking about:
    http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladv...pid=751&dfid=1
    http://serenitycrystals.com/Head-Ban...source=froogle

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

You could always do lower, looser stuff with hair covering the ears if you're self-conscious.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Type
    1b/F/ii

you could also sort of... use your hair to tape your ears to your head. as in, take like 2 inch wide strands of hair, pull them over the tops of your ears when you make an updo....

I saw this on a competitive dancer who used to perform on our local version of Dancing With The Stars - she has her ears sticking out, so when she had a tight bunned updo, strands of hair were pulled over her ears. but then again, dancers use hair products by metric ton, so this strategy might not work so well for us common people...

nordic hennahead

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia View Post
    My ears poke out through my hair, too. My right ear, especially, and you can always see it in any of my length pictures. I got over it by decorating my ears. Sometimes, when I wear my hair down, it looks like my hair is pierced because the earrings poke out of my hair further than my ears do.
    Yup. Even normal pretty dangly earrings went some way towards remedying, by making a distraction.

Pulling my hair over my ears never worked, because the shape of them, straining to pop back out, wasn't a better look for me!

It's another reason why I rarely wear my hair down. I think ears poking through my hair looks worse than an up do pulling my hair away from them.

Combs help too, or anthong creating a little puffy bit on the sides.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    BSL/HIP+/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/iii

I also have this problem. Not only do my ears stick out, they're huge and I wear in-the-ear hearing aids! I am very self-conscious of this unfortunately (I wish I wasn't). I find making my hair look thicker by setting it with curlers and using my sugar water hairspray works great. Doing this makes my hair look twice as full and my ears don't stick out nearly as much. I would also be incredibly interested in that glue stuff that someone posted to keep my ears in check. Also, I just ordered that bumpit thing which I believe will help this problem as well.

As far as wearing it up, I tend to cover the top of my ears with the hair as other posters mentioned. It definitely distracts from the size of the ear doing this, but I must admit that I usually wear my hair down to hide my awful ears.

I hope this helps.

Tina

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I feel self conscious about my ears as well. Usually I just put my hair up without trying to hide them and hope that other people aren't concentrating on them too hard

Length
    na/44/na
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Y'know, ears are soft tissue...if they really bother you, you can wear a stretchy headband over them when you sleep. In a few weeks you'll see a difference. You can't make them completely flat (nor would you want to), but you can make them stick out less :-)

Type
    1a/F/ii

I went to the hairdresser recently for a small trim and she did this cool hair style that worked great to cover my ears (when looking at me from the front!)
    she tied my hair in a knot (basically any bun will do here) but before that she took out the shocks of hair that hang in front of my ears. after she did the bun with what is left, she used bobby pins to pin up that hair in twists & curls on the sides of my head, and then pinned what was left over and around the bun. It was really beautiful. I've since done this technique a lot, using not only pins but little mini-maximas (ficcarre) and other little clips and it looks so great.
    I took a pic of what the hair dresser did--you can just see the piece on the right side that is twisted & pinned:

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Just make sure that your updos are so amazing that no one can pull their eyes off them to notice your ears.

In all honesty, most people don't ever notice the stuff that we look at negatively about ourselves. My husband and I had a talk about this. I was VERY upset about a pimple that I got, it was right next to my nose...it was huge and ugly and RED!

Then he asked me, "When is the last time I had a pimple?" And I couldn't answer...He told me "I had a big one right on my forehead last week...and you never noticed it...and you LIVE with me!" Everyone gets pimples or whatever, it's normal.

We examine ourselves in great detail and often overlook things that are glaringly WONDERFUL about ourselves. That great big wonderful always outshines one small blemish. You are beautiful and that's what people will notice.

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Length
    bsl/waist/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

My ears stick out some, and I think its cute. I have this picture from a few years ago of my hair down, worn very wurly (it was wurlier when it was shorter), and it tucked behind my ears. I'm sticking out my tongue and look impish. Its the 'imperfections' that make us beautiful.

This is kind of funny. I was reading some of the little house on the prairie books over the last few days, and there's a story in there about how one day when Ma was a girl she went to school without having her ears covered by her hair and the teacher brought her up and shamed her in front of the school for being so immodest.

I guess if you really want to cover them I'd suggest doing a side part, away from your sticky out ear. Then comb down in front of the ears so you have your part and a line going perpendicular to that. Keep those from the rest of the updo. Do your bun or whatever, and take those pieces down and sort of wrap them around your head making sure you get your ears.