Thread: Ponytails without scalp-aches?

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Default Ponytails without scalp/head-aches?

I like to wear my hair in a pony in the middle of my head, not too high and not at the nape either BUT I tend to get headaches from the pulling after a few hours. Also even the "snag-free" elastics seem to break my hair taking them out. I don't like the look of scrunchies really and even though they don't break my hair they make my head hurt even worse than the elastics. I would love to find something like a bunji to cut down on breakage but anyone have a suggestion for a ponytail that might have less chance of a headache? TIA!
    Last edited by Curlsgirl; June 15th, 2009 at 11:42 AM.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    waist/waist/waist
    Type
    1c/F/iii

Default Re: Ponytails without scalp-aches?

You might want to try a French ponytail to distribute the weight of your hair more evenly- because it sounds like it's the weight that is giving you the headaches.
    Last edited by Gypsygirl; December 21st, 2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: broken link

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I have been meaning to try something like that. Thanks!

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I absolutely can't wear a ponytail or anything else in that position. That is the only position that gives me a scalp ache, or, more usually, a full blown headache that won't go away when I take my hair down. I sometimes misplace a bun there when I'm in a hurry and I always regret it.

If I have the ponytail at my crown or slightly above or at my nape I can wear it forever.

If I were you I would learn to like my ponytail where it doesn't hurt.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by misstwist View Post
    I absolutely can't wear a ponytail or anything else in that position. That is the only position that gives me a scalp ache, or, more usually, a full blown headache that won't go away when I take my hair down. I sometimes misplace a bun there when I'm in a hurry and I always regret it.

If I have the ponytail at my crown or slightly above or at my nape I can wear it forever.

If I were you I would learn to like my ponytail where it doesn't hurt.
    Well I would but it hurts all over! Even at the nape at times. At the nape I don't like it anyway because my hair is still hot on my neck.

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I didn't realize you were looking for off your neck cause it's hot updos.

I'm sorry to hear that it is still bugging you all over. Does it still hurt if you twist it up like a french twist and clip near the top for the curly fountain effect?

I'm guessing waist is too long for that on full curls, as it is on my wavies. Torrin Paige shows in one of her videos that she makes a coil or so of a cinnamon bun to take up the length and then clips it at the top with some hair fountaining over. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ASvR...e=channel_page
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by misstwist View Post
    I didn't realize you were looking for off your neck cause it's hot updos.

I'm sorry to hear that it is still bugging you all over. Does it still hurt if you twist it up like a french twist and clip near the top for the curly fountain effect?

I'm guessing waist is too long for that on full curls, as it is on my wavies. Torrin Paige shows in one of her videos that she makes a coil or so of a cinnamon bun to take up the length and then clips it at the top with some hair fountaining over. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ASvR...e=channel_page
    I should have specified that I guess about the getting it off my neck. Yes I have tried twisting and it is too long for that at waist with my hair anyway. I have tried the cinnamon bun thing with a clip and it works somewhat but I will watch this to see if I can get some tips for securing it better. Thanks!