Thread: A little friendly advice, please?

Length
    Pixie/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default A little friendly advice, please?

Thanks to all your amazing help, and almost a year of no straightening/blowdrying/-cones/chemical dyes, my hair is generally pretty happy. However, it could be better - and until about a month ago, it was. It had a truly amazing shine to it which I can't seem to get back and now sometimes, just after washing, it will feel a little coarse. The ends, until my last trim, were awful - like velcro - but I took about half an inch off and now they're fine again.

The thing is, I can't think of any major changes I've made to my routine. I switched to Yemeni henna from Jamila, but surely (other than dye content) BAQ is BAQ is BAQ? I use SLS-shampoo, because I have such hard water that anything else leaves build-up (I tried a CV bar last year, and that's most emphatically out), but I've been doing this for years - including during the killer-shiny phase. Aussie 'cone-free conditioner, meanwhile, is my friend - I CWC with it each time I wash.

I use a bamboo comb to detangle once a day - although I have curlyish hair, it falls into big waves when I do this, rather than exploding. I don't wear my hair up as much as I should, thanks to my horrible layers (I'm at APL but buns and plaits still just unravel, while my pigtails have ends sticking out of them all the way down the lengths. I can do ponytails but I imagine they put a lot of stress on the roots and the section of hair the band covers?).

Just about the only thing I can think of is that I tried using SLS-free shampoo for a while, which involved lots of ACV rinses (I usually do this every sixth wash or so). My hair looked and felt bad, so I gave in - but this was back at Easter, so any effects would have washed/worn off by now... wouldn't they?

Please - sorry for the length of this post - but could any of you suggest anything I'm doing wrong, or am not doing and ought to?

Incidentally, I have washed every other day - sometimes every day - for years, and would like to stretch washes but dislike the flat, limp look my fine (albeit abundant!) hair develops if I try. My roots get greasy very quickly, too - even while my ends still smell of shampoo. Do any of you have any advice on this, too, please?

Type
    3a/F/ii

Default Re: A little friendly advice, please?

I'm not a very experienced LHC'er but to me it sounds like it might be time for a treatment that works for you (heavy oiling, SMT, etc). There is a lot of information about velcro ends here! Perhaps you need to clarify and or assess if your hair is getting too much protein. This article may benefit you. Good luck in solving your hair problem!

Length
    Pixie/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

That's a really useful article - thank you! Do you think it would work with my normal shampoo, since it contains SLS?

Type
    3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Freija View Post
    That's a really useful article - thank you! Do you think it would work with my normal shampoo, since it contains SLS?
    You're welcome. Yes I think that is perfectly fine, the article recommends a sulfate shampoo.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Have just washed my hair twice - I could comb it out with very few problems and it feels smooth, if a little dry/'clingy'. I think I'll put some coconut oil on the length and let it soak for a while, then rinse it out with diluted shampoo this evening.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Definitely try the SMT, it is a godsend to my hair. Which Aussie products are you using? To my knowledge, most of them contain cones but it has been a while since I've read the labels. Henna also gives me great shine, when was the last time you hennaed?

An apple cider vinegar rinse is usually reported to give back shine as well as make your hair much softer, diluting it in water as a final rinse would be worth a try.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    Pixie/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Well, I tried ACV first, but I think I've been using too much - increasing the frequency doesn't seem to help. My Aussie conditioner is the Frizz Miracle version, so no 'cones there (in the UK, at least), so that's okay

What is SMT? I'm definitely interested in trying that! I'm such a novice with all this - for the past year I've managed to escape with gentle detangling, hennas and benign neglect, so I really have no idea as to which treatments work for me (though my hair took well to oiling back in the days of peroxide only pre-lightening). ^^;

Length
    19"/31"/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

SMT stands for Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment. HERE is a link to the thread.
    You might want to dilute your ACV rinses more. Just a little goes a long way.

As for stretching washes out, wearing your hair up is your friend. I really hate having wet hair, so have stretched my washes to once a week over the past year. The last few days, I always wear my hair up to hide the greasies. Try to skip two days between washing, then go from there. It may feel as if your hair will never adjust, but it should eventually. My hair is presentable now fourth day dirty, when it used to be greasy by the next day.

I hope that helped.
    Lady Enyo of the Brave Victory in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Length
    Pixie/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

It did - does - thank you! I think I'll wait until my hair's long enough to put up properly before I start stretching washes, then - or at least until the summer holidays, when I can go several days without leaving the house. ^^;

ETA: Your hair is a truly stunning colour. It makes me wish mine were lighter!

Length
    Pixie/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

...wow.

Just, wow.

My hair has never, never been this good. It's thick, bushy, shiny and soft as soft.

I think I'm going to coconut oil it once a month. My hair seems to adore the stuff.