Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mushy hair (after bleaching)

Length
    25/25/35

Unhappy Mushy hair (after bleaching)

I'm kind of new here, but I've been looking around and it seems like maybe someone could help me out. Nearly a month ago I got tired of having black hair (naturally blonde but dyed black) so I got my mom to bleach it...(stupid, I know) and I planned on it lifting a little and then I'd go over it with dark red dye. Well after bleaching it, half of my hair felt mushy, and handfuls of hair were falling out (you couldn't tell though because I have an insane amount of hair, but still) my scalp was really messed up and burned from it, but it's much better now. I went to the salon and she cut off alot of the damaged stuff, but alot of my hair is still mushy because I refused to have 2 inch long hair. I've done a couple of protein treatments with Redken's CAT and it doesn't seem to have made a difference, I'd do more but my stylist advised against it seeing as too much protein can make hair bittle and change the Ph... I'm really not sure where to go from here, and I used a semipermanent (more temporary than anything) dye on it about an hour ago, and it's still wet but i can already tell that the color is completely wrong. The front half of my hair is fine, and the color took beautifully, but anywhere that the hair was soft is this ungodly brownish greenish color... I'm afraid of dying it again but I really can't stand this. I'm thinking about going back to the salon but it's alot of money that I don't want to fork over. Any suggestions on how to make this situation better?

Length
    2"/2"/28"
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Mushy hair (after bleaching)

Wow, that really bites. I've had that mushy hair thing happen a few times before too but the only thing that ever worked was to cut the damage off. Sorry!

Last edited by wintersun99; February 20th, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

The only real solution is time. Ultimately you will have to grow it out again and trim off the damage. As for improving the feel of your hair, avoid shampoo and do many many deep conditioning treatments. Maybe check into SMTs (type of deep conditioning treatment involving aloe vera gel, conditioner, and honey). I am sorry to hear about the green hair! Next time do a strand test.

Length
    ??/19.5/36
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

Okay, first: breathe! Second: no more dye. I know you hate the color, but since it's temporary it will most likely change/fade in a couple of weeks, even days. Try low manipulation-- little combing/brushing, NO DYE, no bleach. My hair was mushy and awful from bleaching over a relaxer. in the end I had to cut off about 6 inches, but I waited a year, because I saved it enough for it to be tolerable. I did conditioner washes ONLY. No shampoo or anything to dry it out. Comb it gently, and if you use something mild like suave naturals, you can even leave some conditioner in. Invest in coconut oil. It keeps you hair from losing protein which keeps it strong, but not brittle. Deep condition, deep condition, deep condition. lastly wear your hair up as much as possible. Eventually you'll have to cut it, but there's a way to survive without having 2 inches of hair. hope that helps
    Red and Blue in the wind, a brave yell, we have a name,everybody knows, Barca, Barca, Barca! Blaugrana al vent, un crit valent,tenim un nom, el sap tothom:Barça, Barça, Barça!

Length
    shldr/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I once had platinum hair and while I loved how it looked, I only had it for about 6 months before it really took its toll on my hair. I tried having it professionally dyed back to match my natural color, but the color faded quickly and every color I used to try to recolor it looked very dull and faded very fast. I eventually gave up and had my hair cut short. That green color you got is most likely the result of overprocessing. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do besides to cut it off. It would also help if you could take a break from coloring it for a while. Good luck!

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I would use honey in a non cone conditioner, alot. Like at least three times a week.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I am sorry you are sad about your hair at the moment but you have a few options
    1) bite the bullet and cut all the damage off
    2) dust your hair monthly until all the damage is gone
    3) protein treatment will help a lot
    4) condition washes will also help with improving the condition of your hair
    5) use henna (if you like red hair that is!)

Good luck ive been there myself in the past, hair does grow better if healthy. If your hair is as bad as you say you might notice your hair is not growing, this simply being because it is damaged from the bleach it will snap off. My hair was damaged through bleach and I refused to have it cut, it took me 8 years from shoulder length to get to waist. Then I went for a trim and the stylist 'miss heard me' apparently and gave me a bob/pixie cut. It has taken me just 3 years to get to the length in my siggi and I hope to reach waist by late summer. I am glad now that all my damage was cut off, even though i hated my hair short it is the best it has ever been. I learnt my lesson, never again will i dye or bleach.

The choice is yours really but although i don't advocate cutting as a rule in this case I think it would be the best option for you. xx
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Yup, know this well. First, again don't panic. The worst thing you can do is in a panic state try to fix this. You need to give your hair some time. Chances are, the protein treatments you are using just because of the one your using. Protein is not a problem, as long as you do a moisture treatment right AFTER each protein shot. So, hit sally's or a hair/beauty supply, and stock up on several protein treatments, and make sure to get:

Protein filler! You'll need this when you do eventually color. It is added to the color mixture and "fills pourous holes" in the hair, which is why you got uneven results. I do recommend though, that you do not dye your hair with anything (with one exception i'll get to that later) for at least four weeks! Placing chemical color on top of freshly bleached hair is a no no, and worse if you got chemical burning from the bleach. Your scalp might feel better... but it likely isn't.

Now onto the exception of hair coloring. If what you are looking to go for eventually is red, try body art quality henna. This stuff will SAVE your hair. Nothing can actually heal damage, but henna can strengthen hair (seriously), and the red will completely cover over that "green tinge" the chemical color messed up (or should at least). It takes several applications of henna to get to a dark red, but you can henna as often as you like, its good for your hair!!! Just make sure you use body art quality, go over to henna for hair and check it out.

The best part is, Henna CAN be chemically covered over to a darker red later if you arent 100 percent satisfied with the color.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

i feel your pain

my hair was really really mushy when i joined.. not to mention highly flammable.. i bleached my hair over and over.. i didnt know how to do roots only so i would bleach my whole head everytime.. and i would leave the bleach on extra long to get the lightest shade possible.. it broke off at the shoulders..

the only thing that helped me was henna.. my hair right after my first henna was instantly alot less mushy.. after 2 hennas my hair wasnt mushy at all anymore.. and also it grew past my shoulders..FAST.. i was able to save my hair.. but if you dont want to commit to red then henna isnt for you

ive been cutting out the damage slowly..
    can i call this classic length