Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hair should frame your face, not your body."

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default "Hair should frame your face, not your body."

What do you think of this comment? A friend said it to me casually a few years ago (she wasn't really talking about my hair, though it WAS long at the time; I think she was just saying why she preferred hair that wasn't longer than BSL).

I think hair that frames the body is part of the allure of long hair (maybe that's why it's also seen as somewhat unprofessional?) I also think it should not fall into the face too much. Actually when I see pictures of people with hip length or longer their hair never seems to be in their face due to its weight. I also think face framing layers or bangs take care of this to some extent.

Still, the comment makes me think... a polished chin- or shoulder- length style DOES draw attention to the face in a very different way from an updo or long hair worn down the back.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Tangles; February 12th, 2009 at 08:21 PM.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: "Hair should frame your face, not your body."

I can only speak from my personal tastes. I like my hair long AND framing my face. So I have fringe and I also cut my 'sideburns' shorter than the length, so that I have hair framing my face. I personally don't like the way I look when my hair hangs down straight around my face, but many people look stunning that way.

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lynnala View Post
    I can only speak from my personal tastes. I like my hair long AND framing my face. So I have fringe and I also cut my 'sideburns' shorter than the length, so that I have hair framing my face. I personally don't like the way I look when my hair hangs down straight around my face, but many people look stunning that way.
    I'm the same way. I only look good like that when I'm ten pounds heavier than I am now. I'm also prone to flathead, and fringe ameliorates this and can be washed/straightened.

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

who is anyone to tell anyone else how they should wear their hair? Maybe that's her aesthetic preference, but she should qualify that as an opinion and not state it as if it's some sort of cold hard fact.
    Lady Parvati, Messenger of Unity in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I don't find I look great with my hair straight down on either side of my face either (ok, it's rarely straight, but you know what I mean). I always have some sort of fringe cut in, though usually it's just cheekbone to chin length layers right in the front. Mind you my hair is only just past BSL at this point, so maybe that will change when it's longer.

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I think it depends on the face, wether the hair needs to frame it to be aesthetically pleasing or not. Its also personal preferance. I don't personally like face framing layers, but that is because hairs that short will almost definitely need styling products and possibly heat styling to get them to lay in any semblence of order. I really don't want to go back there again, and I was never adept at using styling products. Too much, wrong ones, or not enough. Each to their own...

Length
    Pixie/14.5/31

I have always found that my face looks better with my hair out of it, besides the fact that the various oils and whatnot some times cause me to break out.

Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

But if you like your body, why not frame it? It can always be put up if you want to look professional.
    Lady Daeryane Moone of the Silken Sunshine in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    "Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." ~G. K. Chesterton

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Oh poppycock!

Length
    24"/27"/32"
    Type
    4a/F/M/iii

As my hair gets longer, I've been thinking of this myself. My hair is now behind my shoulders and off my face. Personally, I think it cam look a little boring, but I don't want to cut my bangs again. I only just did that 2 years ago and hated it. Perhaps one day I may get a few (very few) layers cut around my face.

I think that beautiful hair is the perfect backdrop for accuentuating both face and body.