Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mushy hair (after bleaching)

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Default Re: Mushy hair (after bleaching)

been there, growing it out now.. sorry to say your'll have to cut the damaged bits off. no saving them. i've tried as have many others with no luck. no amount of condtioners or protien treatments will bring it back.
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Length
    25/25/35

Indeed. I've been trimming little bits and pieces off every once in a while when I'm feeling brave. Seeing as all of the mushy part is in the top layer of my hair, it's pretty much all short. Haha, I'm great for doing this (sarcasm). Oh well, it's slowly getting better... I guess. maybe eventually I'll feel decent enough to take a picture for you guys, but for now it's staying in its bun with a hairstick. Oh and something annoying to think about. Has anyone else realized how stupid middle school kids are about things you stick in your hair? I wear winnie the pooh chopsticks in mine pretty much everyday because I'm too cheap to buy something new. The kids are always like "OMFG why on earth would someone put a stick in their hair?!" hm maybe to hold it up.

I'll cry if one of them pulls it out and unleashes this beast onto my head lol

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

You might try a porosity control conditioner. Roux makes one you can get at Sally's.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

To get a good black, your best bet is to do a two-step process of first henna, then indigo. Indigo by itself is kinda blueish-greenish-gray, but it looks black when layered onto henna.

As far as the henna fading, I've recently seen other folks with damaged hair complaining of it after their first henna application. The general response was that it won't fade after another application or two to the whole length. You'll also get the strengthening effects each time you do all your hair, though it'll darken as you do so.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I'd hate to hijack this thread, but what exactly is "mushy" hair? Ya'll are making me think of peas, and I'm awfully confused.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I was in a similar situation to you when i first joined LHC, though my hair hadn't been bleached it had been coloured repeatedly using 30vol peroxide on the length each time because red fades so fast.

I didn't cut it all off in one go. I switched to henna and repeated applications every 2 weeks at first, then every 4 weeks. I washed twice a week, CO routine, no shampoo at all, ever. I also added honey each tme i washed, used diluted vinegar rinses, and ket my hair oiled all the time, wth a minimum of an overnight heavy oiling each night before i washed but usually giving it 3 days a week at least of constant soaking in and i never wore my har down at all.
    I also misted daily with a mixture of water, a drop of glycerin, aloe vera gel and sometimes a drop of conditioner.
    I trimmed every 3-5 months depending on how quickly my ends started catching.
    The combination of regular henna, CO washing, heavy oilings and keeping it up, plus the DT's each wash allowed me to still grow from APL to nearly waist without it tapering too much or looking too bad.
    Another suggestion i'd make is to try using natural yogurt, maybe mixed with honey and some conditioner. I find it's always worked wonders on me.

In terms of indigo, personally i'd just use the henna for the moment and not fuss with complicating things as your hair is finding colour hard to hold anyway. You might also want to do a weekly henna gloss maybe mixing it with yogurt so that it refreshes your colour, plus you get the added benefit of the strengthening properties of both of those ingredients at once.

HTH
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Yup, know this well. First, again don't panic. The worst thing you can do is in a panic state try to fix this. You need to give your hair some time. Chances are, the protein treatments you are using just because of the one your using. Protein is not a problem, as long as you do a moisture treatment right AFTER each protein shot. So, hit sally's or a hair/beauty supply, and stock up on several protein treatments, and make sure to get:

Protein filler! You'll need this when you do eventually color. It is added to the color mixture and "fills pourous holes" in the hair, which is why you got uneven results. I do recommend though, that you do not dye your hair with anything (with one exception i'll get to that later) for at least four weeks! Placing chemical color on top of freshly bleached hair is a no no, and worse if you got chemical burning from the bleach. Your scalp might feel better... but it likely isn't.

Now onto the exception of hair coloring. If what you are looking to go for eventually is red, try body art quality henna. This stuff will SAVE your hair. Nothing can actually heal damage, but henna can strengthen hair (seriously), and the red will completely cover over that "green tinge" the chemical color messed up (or should at least). It takes several applications of henna to get to a dark red, but you can henna as often as you like, its good for your hair!!! Just make sure you use body art quality, go over to henna for hair and check it out.

The best part is, Henna CAN be chemically covered over to a darker red later if you arent 100 percent satisfied with the color.
    Henna can also be modified towards brown or black using katam or indigo.
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RancheroTheBee View Post
    I'd hate to hijack this thread, but what exactly is "mushy" hair? Ya'll are making me think of peas, and I'm awfully confused.

The best i can describe it:
    The hair is so chemically damaged it begins to disintegrate.

The mush feeling is like touching a wet noodle slimy and squishy. There is no point of return after reaching this stage.

when the hair is so chemically changed through repeated bleaching (stripping of color) it weakens the natural bonds of the hair.*SNAP*

*shudder* brings back memories
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by suicides_eve View Post
    The best i can describe it:
    The hair is so chemically damaged it begins to disintegrate.

The mush feeling is like touching a wet noodle slimy and squishy. There is no point of return after reaching this stage.

when the hair is so chemically changed through repeated bleaching (stripping of color) it weakens the natural bonds of the hair.*SNAP*

*shudder* brings back memories
    Ooooh! I see. Yeah, that happened to me a few years back, when I decided it would be sweet to be blonde. It wasn't. Anywho.

I know this girl who bleaches, chemically relaxes, curls, blowdrys and backcombs her hair regularly, in addition to getting extensions and sitting under UV lights all the time. Ughn. HER hair is mushy. And crunchy. At the same time.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I had my hair like this once. If you dont want to try henna I would get Apoghee it really saved my hair. Before doing any more coloring always do a strand test because you can get really weird results with bleached mushy hair.