Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blowout Professor

Type
    1a/F/i

Default Blowout Professor

Amending title to: Blow Dry Professor
    Firstly, I don't know if this is allowed or not but I would like to know if anyone has seen these youtube videos? I have been trying to follow his "Trinity" regime since Christmas. I like that he does not advocate cutting hair every six to eight weeks if someone is trying to grow their hair and he seems like a genuinely nice man but I am curious as to why his videos haven't been discussed here? Is it not allowed to talk about a particular youtube channel?

Anyway in case it is okay, his trinity regime is simply this: Wash with salon shampoo twice, apparently salon shampoo does not lather if your hair is dirty but does once it is clean. You then condition the mid lengths (keep off the scalp). No. 2 is his leave in conditioner - Pureology - and it is lovely stuff I purchased it, definitely the nicest leave in I have purchased. The final one is Olaplex oil 7 on the ends. I'm doing that as well.

He doesn't advocate stuff like caffeine or vitamins (unless someone is lacking in some vitamin).

So what are your opinions on his method? At first when I started using the pureology shampoo and conditioner, I "did" see some difference in the condition my hair, but it is growing at a snail's pace. On top of that my last trim (nothing to do with Blowout Professor) but just wanted to vent, the hairdresser cut my hair unevenly, it is a good one inch longer on one side and uncannily I have a feeling that side is growing quicker than the other!

I don't post much on here owing to the fact my hair is pretty pathetic compared to the rest of the hair on here.
    Last edited by Angelica; March 29th, 2023 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Error

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: Blowout Professor

I haven't heard of these videos - but I'm not a youtube person really, so that doesn't count for much! If it's working for you then go for it! I had a pureology conditioner once and I remember it was indeed quite lovely.

So sorry about your uneven hair! My mom once texted me a photo and asked if I thought her (chin-length bob) was cut unevenly and lo and behold - it was! She hadn't noticed on her way out of the salon and when she got home, my dad pointed it out. Such an inconvenience to get it retrimmed.
    Lady Daybreak, keeper of the Stars & Sea ☽︎ artist, lover, general mystic

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

We do have a new (very new) thread I thought for sharing YT stuff, so it's not as if none of us ever not discusses YT stuff (I love YT too). But no, never heard of this.

And the routine is *nothing new*. I mean, shampooing twice has been there for ages (I do it more or less, just resudsing with my first suds not totally washed out).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Nowadays when I watch a hair youtuber, it’s mostly to check out a new hairstyle tutorial and admire their handywork. I don’t really look up for new “haircare” routine anymore because I know what suits me and what doesn’t after having read almost all the available archived articles on LHC and tried out on my own, which is benign negligence, practically no care at all.

I’d actually get more insight on how to oil and plait myself really well from a black braider than from a Caucasian male with a buzz cut.

But since I did watch a ton of hair videos, I have come across him sometimes as part of the auto recommendations, and almost everything he talks about in his videos is really nothing new, just general common sense for people with medium length who have chemically and heat damaged hair and the ones who probably frequently wash hair (aka more than once a week).

And honestly, the ID alone just rubs me the wrong way because I am strict about never putting heat on my hair, not even a blow dryer, and no amount of heat protection can prevent heat damage. I also never use elastics, chemicals or even use a comb/brush, I only shampoo my hair once every 4-6 week with DIY stuff, I am a no trimmer, I don’t even S & D. I guess 99% of hair influencers just don’t agree with my weird haircare routine, because I’m not their target audience and I won’t buy their plug-in products.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; March 29th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Type
    1a/F/i

Well his trinity idea sounds good to me. I don't do S & D either. My hair is too thin and when I did it once I cut a chunk of hair off by accident, no no more of that for me. I usually don't watch updo videos as they are unsuitable for me as I don't have enough hair to do them. He has such a bubbly personality and I shall keep watching his videos. Thank you for your comments.

Length
    APL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I have watched some of his stuff, and I'm still kinda on the fence. Mostly it is just like tuanyiji said, it's good basic info for people with processed hair, but from time to time something jumps at me that makes me a bit wary. One is that he says heat is okay, the other is that he is very adamant about using only professional salon shampoos. I don't buy that, afaik there's chemically absolutely no difference between drugstore and salon products. I mean I would love to use Purealogy, but I'm sure it doesn't make THAT much of a difference. But I agree with him that leave-in conditioner is a game-changer, at least for some hair types like mine.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sarana View Post
    I have watched some of his stuff, and I'm still kinda on the fence. Mostly it is just like tuanyiji said, it's good basic info for people with processed hair, but from time to time something jumps at me that makes me a bit wary. One is that he says heat is okay, the other is that he is very adamant about using only professional salon shampoos. I don't buy that, afaik there's chemically absolutely no difference between drugstore and salon products. I mean I would love to use Purealogy, but I'm sure it doesn't make THAT much of a difference. But I agree with him that leave-in conditioner is a game-changer, at least for some hair types like mine.
    I am pretty wary of hair stylists in general. Except for "manes by mell", but she's trying it all on her *own* hair and there is all the difference. I don't like someone from "up high" preaching down to the masses. But that's just me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I had seen those videos recommended given how much hair content I consume. But never clicked them. The name "blowout professor" isn't something that sounds relevant to me given the infrequency of my use of conventional styling products.

Plus, I don't listen to men (or anyone for that matter) with short hair for my haircare advice. I tend to seek advice/styling techniques from those with similar hair to me. Straight, fine, heavy. I've been burned before (as a teen) trying to follow styling tutorials and haircare tips for people with shorter and grippier and thinner hair than mine that just never worked. So now I choose carefully.

I have also never seen a hair stylist give good advice on how to grow hair. It's too antithetical to their job which is to style and maintain hair. I watch hairstylists for fun and personality, not for advice.
    Last trim 20th Jun 2023.
    Buzz-SL[17"]-APL[20"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[31"]-TBL[34"]-CL[38"]
    Buzz 2018- 35"/TBL 2023

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I don’t think sebum inhibits lather… that doesn’t sound scientifically sound to me.

Here’s a brief article on how surfactants and foaming agents work: https://health.howstuffworks.com/ski.../soap-foam.htm

ETA: at least, I think you’d have to have A LOT more oil on your head to overwhelm shampoo lather.
    Last edited by Entangled; April 3rd, 2023 at 05:47 AM.

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I watched his video "Hair Mistakes That Will RUIN Your Hair" recently and while some things he says make sense, others don't. He talks about how you shouldn't use combs on your hairs but only a brush (he recommends a wetbrush). While there's nothing wrong with the Wetbrush, it isn't the only option and I personally have better luck with a comb. He also seems to think that everyone needs to use a leave-in before they even try to brush their hair. I know that for me, leave-ins tend to make my hair weighed down and stringy. I don't think he's horribly wrong but he's also not right. Any advice that is overarching and generic won't be right for everyone. Plus, salon shampoo is expensive; drugstore should work just fine. I also doubt that you need to wash twice. Most people are fine with just once.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade