Page 52 of 471 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinky 4s' thread

Length
    ~20in/mb/wl/MTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/iii

Default Re: Kinky 4's thread

Quote Originally Posted by Buddaphlyy View Post
    Yeah, that's her! Last I heard of her, she was starting her own site. I could never remember the address though.
    Hmmm...one of these dayse I should see if I can find it (i am the Google Queen lol) I wonder how long her hair is now.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEyes View Post
    That just means you're not on her friendslist. I thought you might be since you knew her name...XD; It's past waist.
    oh ok. I came across her name and pic through the LHC archive site. I was looking up something...I think monistat and hair growth. I'm always looking something up. Anywho, she posted something about caramel treatments and I found her pic from that post. Sorry for the novella.
    Pssst...Shrinkage is the devil. Don't look it in the eye or make any sudden movements.
    Lady Talma of the Hallowed Cauldron in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ~20in/mb/wl/MTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/iii

Dear God I can't even spell the word 'days' lol
    Pssst...Shrinkage is the devil. Don't look it in the eye or make any sudden movements.

Cool Re: Kinky 4's thread

Quote Originally Posted by Talma View Post
    I think I just have to readjust my ideas of what I think my long hair should look like. This is the first time my hair has reached APL since I've gone natural. It's about an inch or two shorter than what it was before I decided to stop relaxing my hair. So I'm used to seeing my hair a certain way. With the shrinkage my hair pops back up to above my shoulders. For me this is hard to get used to. Since our hair type shrinks so drastically I've changed my ultimate goal length from hips to tailbone to classic. Now I'm considering mid thigh length but we'll see if that will stick or if I'll just shoot for classic. This is around the length that I want my hair to look like, meaning it will actually have to be longer but I'm just not sure how much longer anymore.

This I saw when I did a google search a long time ago. I think it's from someone's old Fotki so I hope she doesn't mind that I'm posting this but there's not that many other examples out there that are fitting with my hair type.
    The tex & color are to die for..Love it..

Happy Hair Growing!

Length
    ~20in/mb/wl/MTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ritza View Post
    The tex & color are to die for..Love it..

Happy Hair Growing!

Yeah I know! I hope hope hope my hair turns out like this when it's midback on to classic! I will suffer through the shrinkage woes if this is the end result! lol

Length
    20/29/29
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii/iii

Guys, I tried to flat iron yesterday. It was hard work. I went out to show it off and by the time I got back 45 minutes later, it was a giant afro again. Well, at least I got a picture of the before. As you can see, not perfectly straight, but getting close:

Before:

After a 45 minute walk outside:

Was it raining or humid? All that work will vanish if any moisture hits it- including perspiration. It can be raining and you can go in it, but you can't let spray or fog or anything hit your hair.
    Did you have a moisturizer as well as heat protectant in it? If your hair is too dry, then POOF!
    My favorite is elasta qp mango butter, it delivers moisture (NOT OIL!!) as well as thermal protection.
    September 6, 2009

Length
    20/29/29
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Was it raining or humid? All that work will vanish if any moisture hits it- including perspiration. It can be raining and you can go in it, but you can't let spray or fog or anything hit your hair.
    Did you have a moisturizer as well as heat protectant in it? If your hair is too dry, then POOF!
    My favorite is elasta qp mango butter, it delivers moisture (NOT OIL!!) as well as thermal protection.
    It was humid. It's always humid here. And in fact I didn't expect it to last for long. I live in Chicago now but am from Southern California. I was a "press and curl" girl for most of the time I lived in so. california.

I had a heat protectant this time, no added leave-in other than a bit of my deep conditioner residue and oil left in. I've tried it before with a moisturizer, too. The thing is that moisturizers have water and/or humectants, so they contribute to reversion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mwedzi View Post
    It was humid. It's always humid here. And in fact I didn't expect it to last for long. I live in Chicago now but am from Southern California. I was a "press and curl" girl for most of the time I lived in so. california.

I had a heat protectant this time, no added leave-in other than a bit of my deep conditioner residue and oil left in. I've tried it before with a moisturizer, too. The thing is that moisturizers have water and/or humectants, so they contribute to reversion as well.
    Hmm. From Cali to Chicago- quite a shock for your hair! When we leave Washington and go to places like Cancun or Puerto Rico, honey, my hair goes from pony tail to fox tail, it puffs up from the sudden increase in moisture in the air.
    I honestly gave up trying to get it straight in those climates and let it curl and of course, tangled. I made a huge mistake coming back from P.R. an combed my hair on the plane in that super dry air after being that humid climate and a whole section snapped off POW- just like that. Hair got used to the moisture and suddenly it was sucked out.
    The mango butter doesn't cause reversion, I can totally slather it on my hair, like I would do with conditioner in the shower, and all it does is lay my hair down, it does not revert.
    And it smells yummy.
    Have you checked on long hair care forum? I know the majority of the women there are mid-west to east coast and have to deal with that type of weather. Maybe they have suggestions? I got booted from there a few years ago due to a controversial thread , but there is good info (if you wade through all the hype and bandwagons).
    September 6, 2009

Length
    20/29/29
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Hmm. From Cali to Chicago- quite a shock for your hair! When we leave Washington and go to places like Cancun or Puerto Rico, honey, my hair goes from pony tail to fox tail, it puffs up from the sudden increase in moisture in the air.
    I honestly gave up trying to get it straight in those climates and let it curl and of course, tangled. I made a huge mistake coming back from P.R. an combed my hair on the plane in that super dry air after being that humid climate and a whole section snapped off POW- just like that. Hair got used to the moisture and suddenly it was sucked out.
    The mango butter doesn't cause reversion, I can totally slather it on my hair, like I would do with conditioner in the shower, and all it does is lay my hair down, it does not revert.
    And it smells yummy.
    Have you checked on long hair care forum? I know the majority of the women there are mid-west to east coast and have to deal with that type of weather. Maybe they have suggestions? I got booted from there a few years ago due to a controversial thread , but there is good info (if you wade through all the hype and bandwagons).
    Oh yeah, I'm all over LHCF. I spend way more time there. (You got booted? *giggle* Was it a funny story?) I have definitely read their threads on reversion. But in this climate, I think it's unlikely unless you wait until winter and a non-snowy day. That's the least humid time. Like you in P.R., most naturals in Chicago don't expect much during summer or even times like this (raining off and on).

I have tried their favorite anti-reversion product, Sabino Moisture Block, to no avail. It might be better if I straightened my hair a bit more often and thus "trained" it. Also, as you can see I didn't get it straight to begin with. Even in the before pic it's still very fluffy!

Mostly I enjoy the stretching out done by the flat ironing. So even though it reverts, it's still more stretched out that I'd get otherwise. I don't do it often, though. At my most frequent I do it once every 6 months, but I have gone years without straightening. So this is a pretty rare occasion for me!

Quote Originally Posted by mwedzi View Post
    Oh yeah, I'm all over LHCF. I spend way more time there. (You got booted? *giggle* Was it a funny story?)
    Well, tension would get pretty high over there sometimes and *some* people over there have a bit of a power trip thing going on.

Plus the climate changed a lot from when I started there to when I got booted; it went from being a group of women who want to talk about hair and giggle and stuff to adding the celebrity forums to adding an adult secret forum which got shut down because those who weren't invited found out and flipped out (it was by invite only because they had to make sure the people participating were truly over 18 and only those who had been there a while were known to have been old enough and the rest was unsure) THAT forum got removed and replaced with a Christianity forum (no other religion allowed but other religion bashing was allowed and those that followed non christian churches had to put up with being insulted), but the big problem was when they added a relationship forum and said it was only for male/female relationships and those in gay relationships were not allowed to participate (clearly stated in the forum title that was the conditions) and those who were in gay relations were hurt and offended including us who support them, such as myself, so we all complained about it and one of the girls who was supporter but was hetero, complete with husband and children was called out by *someone* in a position of power on the board and openly insulted and I, as well as others, took offense and the next morning we were all banned.

Kinda good riddance since things got so dictator-ish and somewhat discriminatory. totally changed in the 6 years that I was there.
    A lot of the banned members started another uncensored board and a myspace group but those are slow moving and not a lot of activity.

I do miss some of the cooler members and some of the topics and the black woman understanding thing, though.

Eh. That's just the way it is, sometimes. You stand up for what you see as an injustice and you take the risk of persecution, lol!
    September 6, 2009