Page 4 of 471 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinky 4s' thread

Length
    .5 in/mbl/wsl
    Type
    4a/4b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SHADOWSCODE46 View Post
    I'm not really a 4, but if anyone has thick hair in the 3C or even 3B family, they know that this hair type can be very fickle, and have type 4 'tendencies', LOL! For example, it can afro out, and be a B*&$h to detangle on bad days. Single strand knots and all that jazz. I usually follow practices and certain products 4A's use since since 3C is kinda 4A's 1st cousin . Sometimes on certain heads, there is minuscule difference between the 2 hair types...
    Hi, well you are welcome in here as well. Yes, 3c's are our cousins. Family is always allowed
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids) Curlies
    April 3, Curlies will unite at 6:30pm for a Dinner and the Color Purple Play.
    Message me for further details about being part of our Meetup group.

Length
    .5 in/mbl/wsl
    Type
    4a/4b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Naluin View Post
    It's been 3 years since my last relaxer. I've been transitioning in some form since then.

Nice. Wow 3 years is a long transition. How are you doing it?
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids) Curlies
    April 3, Curlies will unite at 6:30pm for a Dinner and the Color Purple Play.
    Message me for further details about being part of our Meetup group.

Length
    18.5'/18.5'/26'+
    Type
    4a/4b/M/ii

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! It felt good to get some of those things off my chest.

Froand Beyond: I <3 Tribe! And yes, Nappturality is one of the first sites that I came across! I still have to explore it a lil bit more.

Beesweet: Thx for offering me the info! I think I looked up some salons and only found addresses in Broward as well. But its worth the trip. I think I will take a trip to one once I get a few inches of growth. Just thinking about the big chop is giving me the heebie-geebies, but you are right; love and fear cannot co-exist!

Today I am getting ready to do my first pre-poo Indian oiling. And then I am going to try a really diluted BS/ACV wash. I figure if I dilute it enough it should be safe for type 4 hair. ......... Anyone know better?

Length
    2"/10"/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I do that exact thing with my daughters. Only we only "poo" with Doc. Bronners about once a month.

I do straight ACV, but not on the same day we pre-oil. I think the ACV takes the oil right away or something.

Here are pics of relaxed damage and a healthy type 4 pic. The photos all have captions.

Healthy type 4 hair, top pic on page. Heat damage on bottom.
    http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_74.htm

Relaxation damage:
    http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_77.htm

Length
    18.5'/18.5'/26'+
    Type
    4a/4b/M/ii

Wow. Those chemically treated pix are disgusting. I feel bad for doing this to my hair all in the name of vanity. Actually seeing all of this adds a new dimension to my understanding of why may hair is breaking off. Eww.

Length
    18.5'/18.5'/26'+
    Type
    4a/4b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Beesweet View Post
    I do straight ACV, but not on the same day we pre-oil. I think the ACV takes the oil right away or something.
    Thats what I would like to do but I read that I need to leave the herbs I wanted to use in the oil for at least a week in the sun. And to top it off, I think the coconut oil I used is past its due date! I just posted in the Rancid Coconut Oil thread that you happened posted in. Turns out me and that chick purchased the same brand of coconut oil!

Length
    18.5'/18.5'/26'+
    Type
    4a/4b/M/ii

I meant to add that thats the reason I want to get this off my head asap! I figure an hour is a decent enough time to get some benefit and a short enough time that I wont start to get nauseous. LOL

Length
    1"/3.25"/30"
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by FroandBeyond View Post
    Nice. Wow 3 years is a long transition. How are you doing it?
    Well, I never really planned to transition. More like my last relaxer made me so miserable that I just never went back for another one. So from there, I tried one thing and then another. I let my hair grow out for a while, then I started cutting the relaxed ends off myself. I experimented with braids and cornrows for a while. I did my own box braids in weird colored extensions for a while.

Then I got tired of that and tried a texturizer. That was okay, but then I decided to bleach and dye my hair because... well, because I was temporarily insane. Combined damage from the bleachings and the texturizers made it necessary to cut off all of my hair.

Then I decided to try not destroying my hair. It's been fun so far!

Length
    18.5'/18.5'/26'+
    Type
    4a/4b/M/ii

I just finished my hair and its so oily. I either used way too much oil mixture, or I needed more baking soda in the solution. I also noticed that alot of hair broke off as opposed to fell out. I guess its good that what ever weak points I had a gone. All the shine looks pretty though.

Is there any way to get some of this oil out without getting it wet again? I am gonna go wrap my head in a old t-shirt. I am worried about the pillows that I will be sleeping on tonight.

Length
    SL/APL/WSL

I'm a 4a/4b relaxed/texlaxed head. My hair just made apl...I'm learning so much!