Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 4701

Thread: Kinky 4s' thread

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Kinky 4's thread

Quote Originally Posted by NJoy View Post
    I'm already pumping myself up about cutting my relaxed ends off. I'll be glad to rid myself of my layers and I'll have a chance to decide whether I want to keep a V hemline or not.

Thinking outloud, I'm wondering if a blunt hemline is too much for long, natural hair. What shape are you ladies doing?
    I've always had a blunt hemline or a very slightly U, but I'm a 3 not a 4.

I don't change the way I cut my hair based on my curl type because my hair curls differently everyday based on the humidity and the products I use.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    6/22/24
    Type
    4a/4b/F/M/i/ii

I'm already pumping myself up about cutting my relaxed ends off. I'll be glad to rid myself of my layers and I'll have a chance to decide whether I want to keep a V hemline or not.

Thinking outloud, I'm wondering if a blunt hemline is too much for long, natural hair. What shape are you ladies doing?
    I'll do a blunt hemline when I reach my goal.

Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

4a or somewhere around there here!

Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

so many post... lol i dont think i can read them all... Im looking for a regimen to follow to make my hair stronger and healthier... I really dont have one just wash, twist and twist outs. I'm having problems with growing it out more... and product suggestions to try out? I have yet to find anything that works for me besides shea moisture but my hair has been super dry and im getting very frustrated with it. I don't mind loosing up my curl pattern, I just don't want to go back to perms/relaxers XD

Length
    6/22/24
    Type
    4a/4b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by belix View Post
    so many post... lol i dont think i can read them all... Im looking for a regimen to follow to make my hair stronger and healthier... I really dont have one just wash, twist and twist outs. I'm having problems with growing it out more... and product suggestions to try out? I have yet to find anything that works for me besides shea moisture but my hair has been super dry and im getting very frustrated with it. I don't mind loosing up my curl pattern, I just don't want to go back to perms/relaxers XD
    Welcome!
    I've tried many products but as far as growing my hair protective styles are the key for me. I protect my ends 24/7.

Length
    APL19/WSL28/HIP32
    Type
    3c/4a/C/iii

I do a V-cut to allow for my curls. The curls above my ear are in the 2C family, nearly everything else is 4a with a bit of 3c in the bangs area. If I did a blunt hemline straight, then curly it looks like an inverted V. So I have a V hemline straight and curly it looks blunt or a slight U.

You have to account for your curls. If your hair is mostly one type, then you can go for whatever kind you like. If not, then you may want to switch it up. I find that styling is easier without the blunt straight cut. Also, you have to decide if you want evenly thick ends or fairytale ends. From thickest-looking to least thick you have blunt, U-cut, V-cut and fairytale.

I'm pretty sure that once my hair hits hip or tailbone, I'll cut my hair more in a U because by then most of the layers will be grown out, it looks thicker and the 4a parts in the back will have enough hang to catch up with the 2c over my ears.

CURRENTLY: waist straight (28") GOAL: waist braidwaves (35")

Length
    11"/26"/???

Wow, I've missed a whole lot...

Njoy, Your hair looks great! and I take my hat off to ya for transitioning with that much hair. You're doing an amazing job.

As for my hemline, I'm thinking yo-yoing between a blunt cut or a subtle U shape (a la Jessica Rabbit). Although, sometimes I love the way my layered wig looks on me and I think I want layers...but I wonder what that would look like curly...

@belix Welcome! ETA: Don't worry if you haven't found a staple conditioner yet. It took me almost 2 years before I found a conditioner and DC that really agreed with my hair. If you want to avoid becoming a product junkie, just get samples and do strand tests to see how they work on your hair before shelling out for the big bottles. If your hair likes cones you may have to consider adding a shampoo to your regi to get rid of the build-up.

I can't say what will work for you but the basics are keeping your hair moisturized, and lm119 already mentioned keeping the ends of your hair protected because that is the oldest part of your hair. I also protective style about 99% of the time out of laziness but you don't have to do it as often if you don't want to. As long as you keep it up more often than you wear it loose, you should be able to retain some length. Oh yeah, and be gentle with your hair - can't stress that enough. I remember someone saying they handle it like fine silk and that's always stuck with me.

In the beginning or my HJ, I tried 50-11 routines and products but my routine's pretty simple now. It consists of 3 products - moisturizing conditioner, shampoo, (my conditioner's have cones so I need one) and an oil/butter of my choice. I basically CWC, (condition-wash-condition) and then seal in the moisture when I'm done rinsing and towel drying my hair I seal in the moisture with an oil/hair butter of my choice then put it up into a protective style.

It's all trial and error in the beginning so it helps to keep a hair journal to help you remember what stuff did/didn't work for you in the past, (I've made so many of the same mistakes twice b/c I didn't keep one ). Good luck with your HHJ, try not to get frustrated b/c it does get better.
    Last edited by Helix; June 29th, 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Length
    APL19/WSL28/HIP32
    Type
    3c/4a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    As for my hemline, I'm thinking yo-yoing between a blunt cut or a subtle U shape (a la Jessica Rabbit). Although, sometimes I love the way my layered wig looks on me and I think I want layers...but I wonder what that would look like curly...
    It would be really pretty on you. Right now my hair has long layers (face framing, one at BSL and one a bit above waist.) It looks pretty and gives my hair extra bounce but my hair doesn't look super full, which I don't like. I want it to be like BAM! HAIR!

I think layers look especially nice on people who tend to wear their hair out and in washngos.

CURRENTLY: waist straight (28") GOAL: waist braidwaves (35")

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

I am in love.

Bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Jane-Carter-So.../dp/B000U2AQNY
    on a whim, looking for something to help me seal in more moisture and add shine to my curls.

It goes on a little horrifically. I applied over leave-in conditioner and it had an odd grab to it. Didn't slide over the conditioner and I lamented because it was clear that I was using more than (probably) most consumers. Maybe a 1/2 tsp, but it's a lot because it is a very thick butter in addition to leave-in conditioner.

Now my hair is almost dry and it feels magical. Softer than a baby's butt, shiny, and sealed but without ANY greasy or oily feeling.

If you're looking for a product to try, I really do recommend it. I'll report back after I've used it for a few days to see if the results are consistent.

Last edited by CurlyCap; June 29th, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    11"/26"/???

Quote Originally Posted by lacefrost View Post
    It would be really pretty on you. Right now my hair has long layers (face framing, one at BSL and one a bit above waist.) It looks pretty and gives my hair extra bounce but my hair doesn't look super full, which I don't like. I want it to be like BAM! HAIR!

I think layers look especially nice on people who tend to wear their hair out and in washngos.
    Ha! I love this! Lacefrost, I don't know if you've checked the mirror lately but your hair is super full. Nothing wrong with wanting more, though

Thanks, I've already got some layers but they were accidental and all in the wrong places. Guess I'll try getting it all one length first then decide if I want some layers cut in later on. I don't wear my hair out much but I may want to once it's longer.