Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must Moisturize Daily?

Length
    apl/apl/bsl

Default Must Moisturize Daily?

Ladies, my hair after being moisturized with conditioners and oil is wonderfully moisturized, smooth, and soft. However, after a day, it feels like straw. What's going on? I don't remember it always being like this yet I have not recently done anything that could possibly harm it. Do some types of hair just need to be moisturized every single day to stay conditioned or does anyone here have a secret regimen for going multiple days without re-moisturizing? I heard some people use the NW method. What is that about and how is it possible to use NW and not have dry dry hair?

Thank you for your time and consideration!!

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Must Moisturize Daily?

My hair tends to be excessively dry. When I have time, I do a hot oil treatment. Doesn't solve the problem, but it helps for some time. I started a thread a while ago about that, got some suggestions there as well.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I wouldn't say my hair is particularly dry but I do apply coconut oil almost everyday. Just a tiny amount is enough to keep my hair moisturized without being oily.

How are you wearing your hair? When I start wearing my hair down all the time, it can get a little dry.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

You might get more benefit from doing a more intensive moisture treatment, if you're just using a regular conditioner. Afterward, put a little oil on while your hair is still damp, and wear it up. When the weather is really dry (or I'm in furnace-heated house), my hair dries out much more when it's loose than if I wear it up, and the only method I've found to counteract it when I choose to keep it loose is to really grease it up at the beginning of the day and start out with loose oily hair.

ETA: consider even bunning it still damp. A lot of folks' hair really likes this.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Does your conditioner have silicones in it? This is just a wild guess, but maybe it feels nice a smooth and moisturized at first, but it's really not. I'm not an expert.
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

It could be silicone build-up or protein issues.
    I have to condition my hair everyday, but I have naturally dry hair.

I'm currently having the same issues. Mine is due to dry winter/heated air. I just mist and oil my hair when it needs it until the winter is over.

I have the same issues. I guess it is from indoor heating ( heat with propane but also with a wood furnace and small electric heaters.....so lots of dryness). I am trying leave ins but they are not helping much. Wish I could find a really good intensive deep moisture conditioner.

Length
    24/24/38
    Type
    2b/C/iii

My hair never does this, but a friend did and she oiled it when it was wet and put it in a french braid, this seemed to seal in the moisture for longer

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I was going to ask about silicones as well because mine does that too more when I use them. That's why I usually DON'T use them. Do you use a leave-in conditioner? I do that and then also use coconut oil both while my hair is wet and it helps a LOT. If I need something in between I dampen my hair and then add some coconut oil or spray it with a mix of water and conditioner.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil