Thread: I want to try CO again but...

Length
    Nape/nape/BSL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Default I want to try CO again but...

Hi,

I am thinking about trying CO again as I want to get more moisture in my hair, but I do get trouble with itching whenever I have tried it before, would adding something like tea tree oil or lavender oil help?
    I don't know how much of the oils i should put in a bottle of condish, any ideas?
    I would rather add it to the big bottle and shake it up each time as I would be doing a CO every day so I would get through the condish pretty quickly, plus I am clumsy in the shower and juggling with a handful of condish and a EO bottle is a recipe for disaster!!
    I have been using Sukin conditioner lately so I will probably use this for the CO too as it has lots of nice stuff in it!
    Lady Gylly, Scion of the Blessed Island in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'd go more for the lavender personally. Lavender oil can be used neat so i would just play around with amounts until you find an amount that works for you. What about adding some aloe gel to your conditioner too? That's soothing on the scalp and is hydrating.

You know what i'm going to say don't you!.......What about hair oiling? I find a misting then slapping on the coconut oil and keeping my hair up great for moisturising hair.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    neck/APL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

I sometimes do a CWC that leans heavily toward CO. Something like that might help you to keep your scalp happy while still adding moisture to the rest of your hair. I do this wash when my scalp is too dirty for CO, but my ends are dry/recently washed.

I use my regular CO conditioner all over, but I don't work it in at the scalp quite as much as I would if I were doing CO. Instead, I take a dollop of shampoo and scrub it in only at the scalp. The bits of conditioner close to the scalp work to dilute the shampoo a bit; it doesn't have quite the lather that it does on its own. I work the 'lather' from the CO conditioner on the rest of the hair, rinse, and then soak in my second conditioner (always heavier and usually with cones).

Length
    18/44/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Sounds as though ML has come up with a good solution. As someone with a touchy scalp, I can attest that it's much easier to moisturize the length than it is to put up with scalp issues. Happy scalp = happy hair.

You don't say your length, but if possible, you might want to try a scalp wash, and leave the length out of the process entirely. That would help the length retain whatever moisture it already has.
    Lady Raederlhe of Chocolate Treasures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Tribute to the KL Knot Photos April Hairtool Challenge Photos
    Renegrays -swearing undyeing loyalty to the silver cause!

Length
    16"/21"/Thigh
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I third the reccomendation of CWC. I tried CO as well, but had the same problem. My scalp just doesn't like conditioner. If your itchies are more "gunk" related, I would try what ML suggested. If they are more allergic reaction related (like in my case) you could try keeping the conditioner on your hair from the ears down, and then heavily diluting shampoo with water. I hope that makes sense .

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Hi,

I am thinking about trying CO again as I want to get more moisture in my hair, but I do get trouble with itching whenever I have tried it before, would adding something like tea tree oil or lavender oil help?
    I don't know how much of the oils i should put in a bottle of condish, any ideas?
    I would rather add it to the big bottle and shake it up each time as I would be doing a CO every day so I would get through the condish pretty quickly, plus I am clumsy in the shower and juggling with a handful of condish and a EO bottle is a recipe for disaster!!
    I have been using Sukin conditioner lately so I will probably use this for the CO too as it has lots of nice stuff in it!
    If a conditioner has "lots of nice stuff in it", it may not be the right conditioner for a CO. I interpret the nice stuff as oils and moisturising ingredients and in my experience, such a heavy conditioner is not good for CO. I prefer a light, not moisturising conditioner for CO, then I use a heavier conditioner for my ends afterwards. I find that using a suitable conditioner, not heavy in any way, is often crucial for the outcome of a CO.

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I know you asked about oils, but I wanted to put this out there too. I CO daily and have some issues with itchy scalp. I do an ACV rinse once a week and that takes care of it. No oils have ever helped with it...