Thread: Is there a way to straighten hair?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Is there a way to straighten hair?

Can some one tell me a way to straighten hair with some harmless hair care product? My hair has a mind of its own and the ends tend to curl in weird ways.

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Is there a way to straighten hair?

I heard big roller work although I have never tried them. That is the only non damaging way I can think of
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

My sister has wavy hair and tends to have less weird curls hen shes braids it tightly while it's still wet. It isn't totally straight afterwards, though.
    At true tailbone!

I use a non-heat non-chemical way all the time. You have a similar hair type as mine, so it should work just as well.

What I do is make sure my hair is completely wet, like right after a wash. And right away I stretch out the waves by gathering all my hair in a slick, low ponytail at the nape with a wide strip of cloth. Binders and hair ties leave little grooves in the hair, so I don't use them. A few inches from wear the ponytail begins, I will use another strip of cloth to maintain the stretch, making sure the waves are pulled straight, and I'll tie another one there. Every few inches, make sure you pull the waves flat, and then tie the cloth strip, until you get to the end, where you can use a very large roller to set your hem.

Let it dry this way.

It works very well for me.
    [CENTER]

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Áine View Post
    I use a non-heat non-chemical way all the time. You have a similar hair type as mine, so it should work just as well.

What I do is make sure my hair is completely wet, like right after a wash. And right away I stretch out the waves by gathering all my hair in a slick, low ponytail at the nape with a wide strip of cloth. Binders and hair ties leave little grooves in the hair, so I don't use them. A few inches from wear the ponytail begins, I will use another strip of cloth to maintain the stretch, making sure the waves are pulled straight, and I'll tie another one there. Every few inches, make sure you pull the waves flat, and then tie the cloth strip, until you get to the end, where you can use a very large roller to set your hem.

Let it dry this way.

It works very well for me.

Thanks Aine. I think it is a good way to straighten hair and harmless too. Where do you get big rollers? Because I have never used them before

Quote Originally Posted by princess View Post
    Thanks Aine. I think it is a good way to straighten hair and harmless too. Where do you get big rollers? Because I have never used them before
    The ones that I have, I got from Sally's beauty supply years ago. I use only one of them, for the end of the ponytail. It is about 3 inches in diameter.

I think you may also be able to use something like a juice or soda can, just cut the top and bottom off so you can use bobby/amish pins to keep it in place.
    [CENTER]

That sounds great! I've also heard of wrapping it around the head to maintain the stretch. Aine, does it get your hair all the way to 1a or more like 1b or 1c?

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Just no weird curling in the ends. I do not care if it is 2c even. Just the ends have to be straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Um Enis View Post
    That sounds great! I've also heard of wrapping it around the head to maintain the stretch. Aine, does it get your hair all the way to 1a or more like 1b or 1c?
    Yes, you can do what you described... they call it "The Wrap". It works really well if your hair is medium to coarse and no longer than BSL. I used to do that in my shorter hair days.

But now that I have longer hair, I use sleek wet ponytail method and it does give my hair a pretty flat and straight 1a/1b appearance. The slight ridges that may form around the cloth strip are easily brushed out afterwards, and then I give a light oil gloss.
    [CENTER]

Type
    2a/M/iii

Today at Target I saw a steam hair straightener that instead of using heat, it uses steam, but it was 99 dollars!!! I am interested in it though if it's really just steam because wouldn't steam be better for your hair than just plain heat? It was made by conair.