Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your hair get greasy using the CO washing method?

Length
    28/30/31ish
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Does your hair get greasy using the CO washing method?

I've recently (the past week or so) tried CO, but my hair is, of course, now very greasy! So, my questions are:

1. Do you use conditioner on your scalp? Does this help clean it or just make it more greasy? (I have only been using it on the length)

2. Did your hair start off greasy and then 'get used to it' after time? How long did it take?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Does your hair get greasy using the CO washing method?

Yes, you use it on your scalp. It has enough cleaning agents in it to clean the scalp without stripping the hair.

No, you should not be greasy and "get used to it". Your hair should feel clean and light, but more moisturized and softer than with S&C.

Are you following the directions in the CO article?

ETA: CO Wash: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=18

Length
    clrbn/apl/waist
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

I do, and it does not make my hair greasy.

You have to use a lot of super cheap silicone-free conditioner. I work 3-4 handfuls into my scalp, massaging well, and spread the excess over my length and add some to the ends. I leave it in for a good 5-10 minutes and rinse well.

I didn't have any icky transition period. Though this is probably because I hadn't used shampoo in a couple of months before the switch. I gradually went longer and longer between washings with shampoo and had been experimenting with baking soda and vinegar prior to trying CO, so my scalp was already producing much less oil than it had been when I used to shampoo every day.
    Goal length - Waist length when curly
    Current length - APL curly

Length
    26/30/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

1. I use it on the scalp, and quite heavily too. When I CO I get all my hair completely conditioner-saturated, but more attention goes to the scalp as that is where the oil is.

2. I did attempt once CO earlier, but not correctly - I used a heavy conditioner and didn't use enough. I got greasy results. It wasn't clean at all. I only did it for that wash because it looked bad. The top was frizzy and the main part of the hair was heavy and stringy.

I have heard that some people have a detox period when doing CO, but I imagine that's affected by how you've cleaned your hair in the past. I previously used sulphate-free shampoo so it wasn't a drastic difference.

Length
    clrbn/apl/waist
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Also, the only time my hair gets greasy with CO is if I'm rushed and don't leave it in long enough, or I don't use enough conditioner.
    Goal length - Waist length when curly
    Current length - APL curly

Length
    25/35/41

I don't think my hair has been greasy in my lifetime! I conditioner only wash and my hair always has a tendancy to be dry rather than greasy.

Length
    28/30/31ish
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Ah, that makes more sense! My Mum has always told me not to put conditioner on my scalp, as it makes hair greasy, but I didn't realise it was actually cleansing!! Thanks for your advice, I will CO my hair today, and use conditioner on my scalp too, and report back with results
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It was just the opposite for me. The first couple of times that I did it, I thought CO was the most wonderful cleansing method EVER. However, the more times I did it, the more coated, lank, and awful my hair became. CWC with diluted shampoo; that's the ticket (for me). I throw a CO into the mix every once in awhile if I feel I've been washing my hair too often.

Length
    28/30/31ish
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Thanks Spidermom, I will keep your input in mind as I progress further into my CO experiment

Don't Stall On Me Now!
    Length
    Pixie/Hip/Clssc
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I CO!

Better add more or I won't be able to post...

I think the only transition for me was getting over not washing everyday. My hair seems so much better. It wanted to poof on me before CO.

I didn't know there were instructions on it though. I just rub it into my scalp to get clean and then give my head a massage and leave in for the duration of the shower, massage again, then rinse. My hair and scalp are Happy Happy!!