Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your hair get greasy using the CO washing method?

Length
    AP/TB/~W/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Re: Does your hair get greasy using the CO washing method?

Quote Originally Posted by ReddishRocks View Post
    CO washing is near and dear to my geeky heart. I blog about it, actually (http://coloradocurly.wordpress.com). There's some chemistry involved that can help (or hinder) results. You just have watch water solubility to avoid buildup. When I started, I used a conditioner with amodimethicone in it. Over about a week, that built up into a nasty, greasy mess! Others don't have a problem with it, so it's sometimes just trial and error.

Good luck - co-washing was the ticket for me. I hope you find what works for you!
    To clarify:
    Amodimethicone with trimethylsilylamodimethicone is not water-soluble, but Amodimethicone with tricedeth-12 and centrimonium chloride *IS* water-soluble.

Type
    1b/F/ii

I would love to CO, but unfortunately it made my hair greasy and lank as hell.

probably because of cones. but unfortunately cone-free conditioners cost an arm and a leg in this country so I definitely can not afford it. and it's very sad.

Length
    24/36/??
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Experiences always vary from person to person. My experience has been that when CO didn't work for me (both the first time I tried it, and later when it started not working after a long period of success), it was because of one or more of the following:

1) Wrong conditioner (usually, I'd tried to use one of my not-as-cheap, coney conditioners that I saved to use after shampoo)
    2) Not enough conditioner
    3) Not left on long enough
    4) Not rinsed enough

2) & 3) were just getting lax about the routine for one reason or another. It sounds counterintuitive for more conditioner to leave you less greasy, but when you are relying on these milder surfactants to clean, I believe it is a matter of micelle formation and the critical micelle concentration (CMC). Micelles are clusters of surfactants around oils or oil-like substances. The surfactant molecules have one end that is attracted to the oil, and one end that is attracted to the water. Normally oil doesn't mix with water, but with an intermediary linkage like this, it can.

And when there is a surplus of surfactant molecules -- which is where the gobs and handsful of conditioner come in -- the surfactant can get all around the oil molecules, like forming little beach balls with oily centers, tucked away from the water.

Voila! They roll off the hair and wash away.

At least, that is how I expect it works, and that is consistent with my macro experience. Also, cones would interfere with micelle formation.

As for 4), well, without enough water, the micelles won't slide off. And for me, that means a lot of water. It's a good thing CO lets me go much longer between washes, or I'd feel even more guilty about that water usage.

Length
    16/27.5/TB-36
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by logica_divina View Post
    I also found that it does make a difference whether I put the conditioner on wet or dry hair (scalp). For me it's always on dry hair. It cleans much better that way.
    That's a very good tip!
    I also did my first CO wash last night: I used 3 big squirts with a good scalp massage. Worked fine! My hair was so soft last night i kept playing with it. My scalp tends to get oily pretty quickly so I've always had to wash every day. It's nice to know that I don't have to totally strip my hair to get it clean.

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I am not CO:ing right now, but did it for some months during spring/summer 2008.
    So I answer the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwaves View Post
    1. Do you use conditioner on your scalp? Does this help clean it or just make it more greasy? (I have only been using it on the length)
    Yes, I did use it on my scalp. It helped to clean scalp. Did not make it greasy at all.

2. Did your hair start off greasy and then 'get used to it' after time? How long did it take?
    I had very dry hair and it went a bit less dry when I stopped SLS and started CO:ing. It is also less dry when using SLS-free home made schampoo, egg wash and when preoiling well.
    Last edited by HotRag; January 11th, 2009 at 09:41 AM.

Length
    26/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I started with co in july. In the beginning, I had to wash it more often, every second day instead of every third day, because of greasiness. After a couple of month I was back at every third day.

I think it may take some time to get used to. You relly need to massage well. I donīt let it sit in my hair, but before I rinse, I put in some extra water and massage some more before i rinse it of, still massageing a bit, until it feels as if everything is gone.

Perhaps you should try with another conditioner? Some are more difficult to remove, and when youīre more experienced, or your har is used to co, the first conditioner might work.

Perhaps you still have some things in your hair that conditioner canīt remove? In that case, try to shampoo it with sls, and then try co again.

Before co my hair was really greasy before I washed it, it didnīt look good even in an updo the day before wash.
    Now itīs still greasy the day before, but it looks ok even when loose. Most of my halo is gone, probably because of more moisture.

Length
    18.5"/29.5"/Hip
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwaves View Post
    2. Did your hair start off greasy and then 'get used to it' after time? How long did it take?
    my hair is very dry. CO (well partly CO I still wash once a week or so) has actually helped it to become more moisturized. not been greasy though.
    Last edited by NebraskaChick84; January 11th, 2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: trimming the quote :)
    Jami (26) I'm a mother to 3 under 6, journeying to waist. AT waist, Hipward bound
    Lady Bolina of the Tempest Waves in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    apl/apl/waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I'm intrigued by this, may have to give it a go.

Angelina xxx

I do CO scalp washes mostly. I try to only wet the length down once every three or four days or so, so yes, on the scalp definitely!

I did find using condish's with protein in them made my hair extra greasy. Cones and I get along for the most part, but protein is my nemesis.

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I have not been able to go completely CO yet, due to the naturally greasy condition of my skin (and also my scalp). Conditioning my scalp has not yet been able to lift the oils the way that shampoo can, and my hair feels very heavy and greasy due to this.

However, I am making certain diet and lifestyle changes, that may in the long run affect the oiliness of my skin, so I will be more than happy to try CO completely in the future!

I'm not being super-complainy about the oily skin, btw...my mom's entire family has this trait, and they still managed to look 30 well into their 50's...TOTALLY not complaining! LOL.
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights