Page 4 of 267 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Castor oil for hair growth?

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

Quote Originally Posted by plainjanegirl View Post
    So if someone who to use castor oil for a scalp massage 1. can you massage it in with a brush and 2. should the oils stay on your scalp for a certain amount of time before you wash your hair? i have a partial bottle of castor oil from a pharmacy. Can I mix it with coconut oil so it won't stink? Is it safe to microwave it? Maybe this would help my bare nape hair area.
    1) you can massage it in in whichever way you feel is easiest, if that means a brush then go for it as long as the brush isn't damaging or tangling your hair in your judgment.

2) i would say keep them on for at least an hour or two, but IMO overnight is best.

Coconut oil is good one to mix it with if you already know you like it, sesame, sweet almond, avocado, olive, wheatgerm or really any other nourishing oil could be used instead or as part of a blend if you wanted to experiment

I would think that it's safe to microwave it, but my personal choice would be to warm it in a bowl of warm-hot water, or on a radiator. Although i've not found that castor oil needs to be warmed, but the coconut oil would be if you wanted to mix it.

I really hope it does help your nape area, i know this has been an upsetting issue for you and i'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you
    HTH
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by logica_divina View Post
    Another proof that everyone's scalp is different and responds differently...

For example, now that I introduced castor oil to my routine again (after a couple of months), I find that I shed a lot less during washing and I already have some new growth at my hairline, especially around temples where I had some thining.
    I just love castor oil! I usually add 2-3 drops of rosemary and chamomile EO to it for every scalp massage.

Also I have no problems what so ever with oiling the scalp and find that a CO removes it easily.
    Couldn't have said it better. Ditto to everything you just said!
    I'll have to try adding rosemary EO to my mix next time.

Quote Originally Posted by plainjanegirl View Post
    So if someone who to use castor oil for a scalp massage 1. can you massage it in with a brush and 2. should the oils stay on your scalp for a certain amount of time before you wash your hair? i have a partial bottle of castor oil from a pharmacy. Can I mix it with coconut oil so it won't stink? Is it safe to microwave it? Maybe this would help my bare nape hair area.
    1. As ChloeDharma said, any way you like is fine.
    2. I like to leave it at least 3/4 of an hour, up to overnight. Most usually I leave it on for 2 hours. I'm not sure leaving it for more than this makes a difference; keeping it on overnight is just more practical sometimes.
    3. yes, you can mix it with coconut oil; but I wouldn't microwave it. Your oil might get too hot and lose some of its properties and vitamins. This is why the bain-marie method is better.
    Last edited by Teacherbear; March 4th, 2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: merge 2 posts

Please read the following article. I don’t know if it’s a good idea for a pregnant female to use it on their hair.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/co...Castor_Oil.asp

Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should not use castor oil, nor should people with intestinal blockage, acute inflammatory intestinal disease, appendicitis, or abdominal pain. Medicines that are dissolved in or based on castor oil compounds can cause allergic reactions.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I don't think it so much encourages growth as protects the length of the lashes. After all, most people are putting it on the length, not the root of the lash.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by tina1025 View Post
    Please read the following article. I don’t know if it’s a good idea for a pregnant female to use it on their hair.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/co...Castor_Oil.asp

i think they mean taken internally, as in swallowed. that info appears on the bottle itself though.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Length
    AP/TB/~W/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Is castor oil very waxy?

I don't use jojoba oil for this reason.

yes it is very waxy therefore its good to mix in any other oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by venividibxtchy View Post
    Is castor oil very waxy?

I don't use jojoba oil for this reason.

Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

I've been using it the night before I wash my hair in the morning and just letting it sit overnight. I take one of those bottles from Sally's with the very narrow tip and just drip it onto parts of my scalp. I wash it out in the morning with a SLS free shampoo and haven't noticed any bad buildup. I do scrub pretty good tho with the shampoo, which I think makes a huge difference in the cleanliness of my hair.

So far I think my hair is growing faster. I haven't done any measurements to be sure, but my "short layered ends" aren't giving me as many problems as before in regards to when I pull my hair back. I think it's cause they're finally long enough, which just occurred after using the castor oil.

PBI, I got mine from CVS and yes it is the kind used for digestive purposes.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I am definately a castor oil convert and love love love it!

It has stopped my major sheds in its tracks so now I am addicted to regular castor oil soaks.

I first started using it due to a thread on using it on your lashes. I started putting it on my lashes and was absolutely amazed at how long and thick and dark they got really quickly. So, of course the thought of putting it on my head came next.

I used regular Walmart castor oil. It is thick so I mixed it with some EVOO and later whatever oil I had around to think it just enough to make it easier to apply. I use a Q-tip and part my hair with that and rub it on the parts and then later massage it in. I do it overnight before a wash.

I have had no trouble whatsever getting it out. Right now I am using a dairy whip, AO GPB, baking soda mix to shampoo.

I have very little shed on this routine.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    7/10/20
    Type
    4b/M/C/ii

Please share what are the measurements of ingredients that you use in your castor oil mixture. I'm very anxious to try it!! Thanks!!