Page 24 of 267 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Castor oil for hair growth?

Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Default Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

There's a new indian grocery store in town and when I stopped in there, I saw they carry a castor oil for cooking. Much bigger bottle than from the drugstore. Has anyone had any experience with it? I got distracted so didn't get to check if it's as thick as the drugstore one.

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by banglaminerva View Post
    There's a new indian grocery store in town and when I stopped in there, I saw they carry a castor oil for cooking. Much bigger bottle than from the drugstore. Has anyone had any experience with it? I got distracted so didn't get to check if it's as thick as the drugstore one.
    Castor oil for cooking? But it is a strong laxative!

Type
    2a/F/ii

Ok time for an update.
    I started using this Castor oil mixed with EVOO at a 50%-50% mix ratio at the end of October.
    My results:
    - between 10/19 and 11/06 my hair grew an inch in length, then it seems like it hasn't been growing at all, but it could be because my hair is getting wavier as it grows because my bangs seems to grow about twice as fast as they usually do.
    - My hair started to shed less and less and it is now at a point where it doesn't bother me at all. So take that fall shedding! *lol*
    - I can clearly see baby hairs growing around my face with the exact length that shows it was the Castor oil who did this.

Washing it out of my hair:
    - it came out very easily when I used Ginger/Cardamom Mehandi Shampoo Bar, I had no left over residue.
    - it washed off my scalp very well with Citrus, Soapnuts & Sunflower Shampoo Bar from Chagrin Valley, I had nothing left over; but the oil on my length seemed to still be there (I'm still working out how to solve that issue). ETA: it turns out it was my lemon rinse that wasn't coming off my hair and I just rinsed for a long time after the lemon rinse and now everything is ok. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Roscata; December 29th, 2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: problem solved, added info

Length
    15/24.5/37
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I have always used castor oil in my bath oil mix and soak my hair in it.. I average 1/2 inch growth per month which I felt was average growth for the majority.. I look for cold compressed , cold processed it's a Home Health marketed brand it's Hexane free and Paraben free. Don't know how expensive it is because I get it from a small town natural health store so am sure they jack the price alot to make ends meet... 16fl oz last at least 6 months of use..

I've heard that Jamaican Black Castor oil works better. Haven't tried it myself.

Type
    1c/M/C/iii

I stopped by the Indian store today to look at the castor oil there. The bottle does say that it works as a laxative and when the guy there say me looking at the bottle told me that it's great for hair. So, it's not for cooking! (phew!)

How about misting with a castor oil/water blend on a somewhat daily basis, kind of as a frizz tamer? Would it have the same effect?

Length
    Chin/SL/Waist

I've been using castor oil for a while now, in small doses because it's so HARD to get it out of my hair again! If I go on like this I have to start making my own conditioners, it's getting expensive (I CWC to get it out, since my shampoo bars didn't do a thing to it.)

I just looked up the shampoo bar Roscata mentioned at Mehandi but their shipping charges overseas are tremendous, so I'll have to look for something closer Or make my own, haha.

Anyway,
    I massage my scalp with it and use it in moisture treatments together with (for example) Avocado oil, Argan oil and whatever I have about.

From what I've noticed my hair has grown faster. It could also correlate with the fact that I've completely laid of SLS/Silicone/paraben/cone products over the past months, but my hair has gotten longer and fuller, too. (I have pretty thick hair, so it's gotten stronger.)

I'll definitely keep using it

Length
    25/30/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I heat 3tsps of it and add a clove of crushed garlic and a dab of honey let it "cure" for 3 days then apply it to my whole lentgh and it softens my hair really well I got it from a herbal recipe

Type
    2a/F/ii

Talking Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

Quote Originally Posted by Totte View Post
    I've been using castor oil for a while now, in small doses because it's so HARD to get it out of my hair again! If I go on like this I have to start making my own conditioners, it's getting expensive (I CWC to get it out, since my shampoo bars didn't do a thing to it.)

I just looked up the shampoo bar Roscata mentioned at Mehandi but their shipping charges overseas are tremendous, so I'll have to look for something closer [...]
    I usually have to shampoo my hair really well at least 3 times with my shampoo bar in order to get the oil out. It can get tedious, but it works.
    Good luck!