Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for 2b-c hair

Default Advice needed for 2b-c hair

Hi everybody!

So to the question...my hair is 2b-c and mbl and I have started to love my natural texture, which is good, but my hair has most volume from the ears down while "the crown" is more flat...the dreaded pyramid look...should I get some layers without touching the longest parts? To get some more movement?

Thanks.
    Elen síla lúmenn ´Omentielvo
    sl***APL***bsl***wl***hip

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Advice needed for 2b-c hair

With gaining more length, that dreaded pyramid slowly vanishes. You could get some layers, but you have to love layers! Stylists can go crazy on you. There are two methods that you can do yourself, called "compact cuts". Wouldn't recommend these for under BSL hair, though! One method is making a ponytail on the top of your head (long layers) and snipping a bit off. The other method is making a ponytail on the top of your forehead (short layers) and snipping a bit off.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ????/35.5/40
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

If your goal is length, then I'd say no. Try the curly girl method of of piling your hair on the top of your head while it dries. It will allow the hair to dry with out the weight on the length and you'll retain more volume. Also, a U cut hemline will cut down on the pyramid look.
    'And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair' Khalil Gibran.
    ⌣⌢ (ˆ◡ˆ) ⌢⌣

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

In my opinion, layers worsen the pyramid thing! I have old photos of me with a bob, or with layered shoulder hair... I still cringe! Anything shorter than shoulder is a big NO on my 2b texture.

However, maybe your roots are losing a bit of volume due to the recent growth... they were behaving nicely before, like BSL or APL? If the answer is yes, a bit of layering may allow them to be fuller on the roots. If the answer is no, probably the weight of the hair isn't the culprit, so layering isn't going to help :flower
    I myself I'm considering some long layers for this reason, but not before I reach solid waist.

I absolutely quote Kina over the U hemline, and that the layers aren't nice while you are still growing your hair!
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Thank you for your answers!

Well when my hair is shorter I have more volume on top, that is true.. I've had layers before and didn't mind them, one of my best friends is my hairdresser and she always do as I wish( she is a fellow long hair with fairy-tale ends), and she is a curly herself.
    I bought some clips today to trying Piling my hair on top as Kina suggested...hehehe my first goal is waist-lenght fyi.

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I will also suggest waiting until it gets longer! The pyramid will go away, then... and if it doesn't, like lapushka says, the compact cut works really well.
    It is what it is. You are what you it. There are no mistakes. - Tom Robbins

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Do everything upside down from washing to diffusing, many different types of clips you can try from Curly Hair Solutions roller jaw clamps to the Deva clips.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    APL+/Hip/Floor
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Layers only make hair look thinner. If you want more volume, keep your hair in a loose ponytail (or in a claw clip) on the top of your head when you sleep and when you let it air dry. If you blow dry it, do it with your head upside down.

o♡o。.(*´▽`*) .o♡o。.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I agree with the idea that you have to like the look of layers to go for it. Layers are very hard to grow out. Also, layers in my case made my ends look feather-like and dry, as if I had slightly thinning or splitting ends, even though there were no splits. I guess, if you like the look and have a great stylist, you can certainly get great results from layering hair.

The "triangle" look is something that wavies and curlies have to deal with, but it's also something that gives us that voluminous big hair and we almost never get that "lank" look that straighties often complain about.
    You can try to get more volume at the roots, by doing head massages, washing and combing hair upside down, putting hair in braids, buns, rag curls for the night. This helps counteract the "triangle" look a bit.

Thank you for the new answers!
    I will try your suggestions and also play around with the way I part my hair and see if it helps..I wish I could get my hands on Deva clips but they don't ship to Sweden..maybe with a little bit of luck I can find something similar.