Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flaxseed oil out of date, can I still put it to use?

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Flaxseed oil out of date, can I still put it to use?

Quote Originally Posted by alkaliberry View Post
    The oil STINKS! It's gone in the bin... if I used it on my hair I would never get the smell out.

I have taken note the next bottle I get will be kept in the fridge and used well with in the date!
    Good decision. But keep in mind: flaxseed oil goes rancid very quickly once the bottle is open, even in the fridge. It's like within one or two weeks.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

You already did what I would suggest. Smell it -- if it smells nasty, toss it, if not, it's still good. (Note that this doesn't apply to coconut oil, which seems to smell like bacon when it goes bad.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Smell it, and see.

Expiration dates are often arbitrary. For example, prescription meds are generally marked to expire one year after being dispensed, even if the medication would be good for much longer.

For foods, they make an estimate as to how long it is likely to last under "typical" conditions. But your conditions may not be typical. For example, if you buy a product in winter, and only heat your house to 60 or 65 deg., the food will last longer than in the summer when it is 80 or 90. The difference between 35 and 40 degrees in your fridge can also make a big difference in how long and how well food lasts.

Oils are easy, as the smell changes as it goes bad. It will smell "rancid" - the exact nature of "rancid" varies by oil, (as others mentioned, rancid coconut oil smells like bacon) but it is quite easy to tell it is wrong.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20