Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best brushes?

Length
    18.00/22.5/29
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Best brushes?

What are the best brands and/or types of brushes?

I didn't see a thread for this and was feeling overwhelmed looking for a good brush. I have mostly straight, fine and somewhat thin hair. I was looking at boar bristle brushes, but wasn't sure on the type. My hair is also damaged and I am just growing it back out so I am trying to be gentle with it and treat it nicely again.

What do you like?
    CHIN, SL, APL, BSL, Waist, Hip, TBL, CL.

Length
    waist/TB/long

Default Re: Best brushes?

I use and LOVE my WIDU wooden pin hairbrush, the one with the biggest paddle and the longest pins. I have a Mason Pearson boars hair, a Denman, several Tangle Teezers. and various others, but the WIDU is the one I use. For wet hair, I like the large paddle Wet Brush, but never use it on dry hair.

I believe WIDU has been bought out by TEK. I think they have made the same brushes for many years. Mine was made in Italy.

I used to have bristle brushes a long time ago. They're still probably around but I'm in no hurry to find them. Haven't used them in years. I also have wooden combs, a horn comb, Wet Brushes, Tangle Teasers, and more I'm sure. And honestly what I use most is a 'disposable' comb and a brush that I picked up at Dollar Tree. I also have a wide tooth comb, also from Dollar Tree, just a cheap plastic thing that I use in the bath for wet combing while conditioning.

I've had the Dollar Tree brush for over several years now the paint is completely gone on the handle and chipped up on the rest of the brush but the nubs still have all thier rubber caps amazingly. I've had much 'nicer' brushes that lost some of thier rubber caps super fast, like not even a month in and already a few were gone.

I have fine/thin hair as well and I joke that my hair tangles so easily that I can have just brushed it out and then flip it back over my shoulder and it's all tangled again. I semi regularly get matts in my hair and have become quite adept at brushing/combing them out. All that being said I am very light handed and very patient, so what works for me may not work for someone else with the same hair type.

I would suggest just picking one to try, or several. I picked up several very cheap ones at Dollar Tree to try out of different types/styles with the intention to invest in a 'nicer' one(s) eventually. And I did buy some nicer ones, but ended up going back to the Dollar Tree ones and my cheap 'disposable' comb, lol.
    "Do you ever feel like a misfit? Everything inside you is dark and twisted
    but it's okay to be different
    'cause baby, so am I" ~So Am I

I have tried a lot of brushes over the years. Most recently my go-to’s are my TEK and Tangle Teezer (I have one with a handle).

I tried Bass brushes for a while, a paddle brush and wooden bristle. I think they are fine, but not nearly as gentle. I used Wet brush for a while, but found the pins to break too quickly.
    Maintaining 31” HL last bleach nov 2020 final goal is HL virgin hair by 6/2025 for my 40th

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Of all the brushes I have tried, my favorite is the Bass bio-flex spiral brush. I find that the bristles are soft/bendy enough to be gentle, but firm enough to work through my tangles.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Seconding the Tangle Teezer with a handle. I have used those exclusively for years now.

The Wet Brush was nice at detangling but because of the balls on the bristles, collected a lot of lint which was impossible to get off.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    HL/BCL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Tangle teezer with a handle.
    I own two tangle teezers, the compact and the wet detangler. The wet detangler has longer and more effective bristles (other than an handle, of course!) and it's the best thing I've tried for my hair so far.
    I've also tried some tangle teezer dupes and a wooden brush, and nothing compares. I would like to try a TEK brush, tho.
    My hair is fine, wavy-ish and it tangles very easily.
    Last edited by Bri-Chan; March 14th, 2023 at 07:57 PM.

Length
    18.00/22.5/29
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Thanks for the responses! I've actually tried tangle teaser and a TEK brush, but wasn't a huge fan. I think I'll try the boar bristle one I saw and see how that works. I have a paddle brush that I like, but would like something better. I'll have to try the Dollar store though and see if I can find what I'm looking for!

Length
    18.00/22.5/29
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I was thinking maybe this brush or something like it.

https://www.target.com/p/wet-brush-s...06#lnk=sametab

My hair doesn't tangle too badly. It's just damaged and I want something that's gentle.

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kome View Post
    I was thinking maybe this brush or something like it.

https://www.target.com/p/wet-brush-s...06#lnk=sametab

My hair doesn't tangle too badly. It's just damaged and I want something that's gentle.
    I had a brush like that for a while (different brand). If you've never used a boar bristle brush before, just know that they can put a lot of tension on the hair, so brush carefully to avoid breakage. Also, getting lint out of a brush like that is...not fun.

I don't mean to discourage you if that's the brush you want, I just wanted to share my experience.