Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning: stupid question

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Default Warning: stupid question

This is probably a very stupid question, but why does fine hair split more than coarser hair? I can understand why it would break more easily, as in a horizontal break, the same way a strand of cotton thread will break more easily than a strand of yarn, because it's finer. However, shouldn't coarse hair, because it's coarser, split more easily because there's more of it to split? Am I making any sense or just rambling incoherently?
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

yes thats exactly why. fine hair is more delicate think of a baby's hair, yet coarse hair is thicker so can withstand stuff like harsh weather etc.

So say you put a piece of cotton in a glass of bleach and did the same with some fishing line, the piece of cotton would be damaged more.

Hope im making sence!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I think, as JoJo mentions, there is just less to resist damage, bending, etc.

It really isn't fair, but that seems to be the way it is. If I could have coarse hair, I would. :P
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Type
    1c/F/M/iii

I don't think fine/coarse is the only reason, but also how supple the hair is. My hair is fairly fine, but very elastic and doesn't get damaged easily. A friend's hair is much coarser, but is also more brittle and breaks and splits easily.
    October 2009, troll hair with braid waves.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Thanks for the responses, that does make more sense now.

Schnee: I've noticed this, too. I've got fine hair, but I've only ever found one split, and that was on a shed hair.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Yeah, fine hair does not have to be weaker than coarse. My hair seems to stand everything, even thou it's fine!

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Schnee View Post
    I don't think fine/coarse is the only reason, but also how supple the hair is. My hair is fairly fine, but very elastic and doesn't get damaged easily. A friend's hair is much coarser, but is also more brittle and breaks and splits easily.
    ive just put this to the test with my fine hair and it does stretch quite a bit but then mine is all virgin. If i was to test a fine, dyed hair against a coarse dyed hair, id bet the coarse would win. Maybe genetics plays a part?

forgot to say before florenonite but theres no such thing as a silly question!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    1"/3.25"/30"
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/iii

Too add my own , I have fine hair and I've only noticed one split in my life and that was after some rigorous chemical frying.

Length
    24/27/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I have related stupid question. Is suppleness (is that a word??) genetic or is it related to how kind you are too it? Is there anything I can do to make it more durable?

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I would say it also depends on texture. My fine, curly hair is fairly strong, but I cannot get a brush through it without half a dozen splits. So curly=handle-with-care, no matter how fine/coarse. Oh and I agree on the suppleness issue. Buildup which makes the ends stiff and hard is a surefire way to splits.