Thread: Yogurt or sour cream to loosen curls...or any other natural method

Default Yogurt or sour cream to loosen curls...or any other natural method

So, my mom told me that she used to use a deep conditioner made up of yogurt, lemon and honey to "relax" her hair. She also told me that her cousin used sour cream mixed with lemons.

She said that while the results were not the same as a chemical relaxer (uh, thanks, Mom!), it did loosen up her curl pattern while providing a good deep conditioner.

Has anyone ever tried this or any other natural way to loosen up curls?

Thanks!!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Default Re: Yogurt or sour cream to loosen curls...or any other natural method

I never hear of using sour cream but I use yoghurt and I never noticed any difference in my waves after im done.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I'll be interested in any idea tossed in here.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    31/32/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

I have used yoghurt sucessfully,,but my hairs is not as curly to notice a difference. As to sour cream is concern I am not sure but I think it will have same effect as yoghurt if applied to hairs.

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I have heard that regular use of coconut milk with lemon juice as hairpack (before hair wash) loosens curls and in fact straightens hair.

I wonder what reaction happens with those ingredients to cause curls to loosen. I know that protein treatments do seem to relax my curl - temporarily - a little bit. Also, the Brazilian Keratin Treatment is based on, I think, keratin somehow straightening the hair....

Hmmm...

Length
    8 in/20 in/30 in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I would think Diamond Bell is right, because the deep conditioning of the frizzy curls with protein and fat packs would weight them down slightly, and make them more managable.

I' learned about oiling on this site and can't wait to try it for the first time.
    Proud Henndigo-Head. Moving Toward Chemical-Free Dyes, Conditioner, & Shampoo.

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

i have heard that bentonite clay used as a wash straightens curls. well i tried it a while back - i have wavy hair - and my hair seemed even wavier after!

i also tried it mixed with yogurt and it left my hair greasy and smelling like vomit - LOL

my hair however seems to react opposite from most peoples hair. amla for instance is 'supposed' to make your hair wavier or curlier and it made my very straight... but it could have been because it dried out the ends...

i would think that the curly hair would like things that would 'weight it down'
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    34/Long/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I am not curly, but sometimes pretty wavy. I tried a treatment with nonfat greek yogurt and honey today. I am still drying, but I already noticed smoother texture and less wave.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I wouldn't say yogurt and honey relax my curl, but definitely smooth my hair. I use Greek yogurt, honey, amino acids for a great treatment. It really makes my hair conditioned and manageable-my hair likes protein. Right now I have DivaSmooth (basically a honey/olive oil/lemon mix) in my hair. This is sold as a "relaxer" product, but I like it for conditioning.
    Last edited by curly girl fla; February 27th, 2011 at 09:40 AM.