Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: seborrheic dermatitis

Length
    nape/waist/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default seborrheic dermatitis

Any of you have seborrheic dermatitis? In this time of the year my sb tends to get worse... my scalp itches so much, especially in my temples, dandruff comes out, my hair becomes oily faster... and I can see it's thinner in the affected areas...
    So... what can I do? Do you put any kind of natural product? I've tried vinegar rinses and it works, but the next day my fine hair looks dirty and dull...

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: seborrheic dermatitis

My 10 year old son has had SD since he was about a year and a half (right after his hair started getting thicker). We tried everything! The doctor even prescribed some stuff, and that didn't work either. A few months ago, I started him on Neem and Tea Tree shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley, and he is almost completely clear! It is totally amazing!

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    25/38.4/50
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I also have it, and I am losing a lot of hair (lost about 1/2'' circumference in the past 3months). My doctor prescribed me something with piroctone olamine (at least I think it was this fungicide), and it helped to fight the dandruff and greasiness. But it didn't go away completely, so I am for sure watching this thread!

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

I have it and tried all the natural courses and nothing worked for me. I have a prescription from my dermatologist- it's a gel called clobetasol. It has worked wonders for me. I used it at night and washed in the morning, I only needed it sparingly and less often as the condition was cleared up. Unfortunately I could use it while I was pregnant and now breastfeeding, but once I am done,I will go right back to using it, it's the only thing that ever cleared my scalp!

Length
    28/45/36
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Watching this thread as well.
    * Ann @ Last.FM * Hair Journal *
    I'm past goal, I don't know what I'm doing now.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

going more natural overall has helped mine a LOT. I started with Rhassoul washes, oiling, and vinegar, all of which helped to some extent. Then I found LHC; the information here, especially going more natural/gentle, has really helped a lot. That, plus a better diet (cutting way back on sugar, caffeine, and alcohol, and of course now eating even better now that I'm pregnant) has helped it almost disappear. I do still have occasional flakes, though.

I get eczema on my face and hands as well as SD on my scalp (they are related), and honey washes or treatments (SMT, honey mask for the skin) are the best thing I have ever experienced. Honey is antibacterial, as well as soothing and a humectant - every time I do an SMT my scalp just seems cleaner and happier.

When I was a teenager and this stuff was at its worst I was prescribed all kinds of things. I've tried every dandruff shampoo out there. Nothing. Honey is really the best.

Oh, and I do find brushing makes the crusties worse, as does stretching washes and going no 'poo or sulfate free. My scalp seems to need frequent sulfate washings to get clean.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Type
    1c/M/ii

I have a prescription cream I use for the areas I get on my face, but was pretty much just living with the scalp issues.

My mother has the same thing (surprise! surprise!) and she began using a strong vinegar rinse on her scalp and it really helped her, so she recommended I try it out, too.

Which I did and I've had amazing success! I CO, rinse, then pour on the vinegar/water mixture, making sure I've got the entire scalp saturated; rinse this off with warm, then with cool, water.

Been after this now for the past couple of months and it took a couple of weeks to see a real change. But now there are no "scabbies" or any flaking issues and my scalp no longer itches, nor is my hair greasy!

But it probably doesn't work for everyone. Still, I'd give it a try - it just might!
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Have you been diagnosed with SD? Best to see your doctor before using something here if it isn't SD. I had SD in the fall, but it's gotten better and my hair dresser said I have more dry scalp now. I have oily scalp and have found washing more often (every other day) better than every third day. (this is for my needs of course). I used Nizoral and that was amazing, but the down fall was horrific itching!! The pharmacist said the reason being is that dandruff--the fungus that causes it, lays beneath the scalp, so this is why it itches. I used head and shoulders, but found nizoral worked best. If I could stand the itching afterwards.

I also found cool water rinses helped with the itchies and a zinc based shampoo (head and shoulders) helped with the itching, but I found H&S caused more flakes. I made a poll in the polls forum in regards to what worked/didn't work for SD--might want to take a peak.

Good luck and don't be discouraged. When I had horridly painful SD, I lost handfuls of hair, but it grew back.

Length
    33.8/Hip/thigh
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I had it before but since I started with CO/WO it has stopped. My hair has grown back on the temples after massaging my whole scalp for 15 every day.Applying vaseline to the area realy helped too.
    Lady Geshtai of the Blessed Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Oh, just to add--cold water/cool water rinses also add great shine to your hair

And a side note, if you color your hair, make sure you check the shampoo for SD--don't use Nizoral if you color your hair. It can change the color. says right on the bottle. Head and Shoulders is alleged to be color safe.