Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CO Wash Results & Compliments

Length
    20.5/22.5/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default CO Wash Results & Compliments

I was chatting with a several ladies at work yesterday and one of them commented on how beautiful my hair is looking lately. They all agreed it looked healthier, shinier and longer and wanted to know what I was doing. I responded that I was doing nothing, no shampooing and no combing. They were astounded. I tried to explain about the CO washes and finger combing, but I don't think they could get past the fact I stopped using shampoo.

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Default Re: CO Wash Results & Compliments

Haha, people can never get past the "no shampoo" thing when I tell them either.

I don't get hair compliments often though. Probably because my hair typically is a mess no matter what I do with it!

...calling on the flying things of the universe & hoping not too many of them are pigeons...

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Go

Cowashing has saved my hair from extinction.

I get compliments all the time now and people want to know what shampoo do I use to make it so shiney. I just tell them Aussie shampoo once a week and conditioner the other days. I'll go into more detail if they ask.

I usually let those people touch my hair who are truly interested (with permission of course) and everyone comments on how soft it is and how good it smells. I then tell them about cowashing. I haven't gotten too many grossed out looks because they can feel and see how clean my hair is and how much healthier it is.
    ________
    Volcano classic vaporizer
    Last edited by Speckla; February 20th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Length
    BSL/waist/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Hehe, i only told one person that I had 'given up' shampoo. They were so shocked and even after smelling my hair and admitting that it smelled good they were still really grossed out. So since then I have refrained from telling anyone.
    When people ask me what shampoo i use i usually just make something up!

Default Go

I haven't totally given up shampoo yet because I do use a few 'cones (water soluble) but still get a bit of buildup. I'm working my way to totally natural hair and no 'poo.
    ________
    Help On Love
    Last edited by Speckla; February 20th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I think you'll find it best not to mention LHC washing methods in casual hair conversations. Most people can't get past the idea that hair can be cleansed without using shampoo. If someone seems really interested, then yes, go ahead and explain more. But most people aren't that interested in learning more about hair care. Come up with a vague reply. I've said "oh I just wash it with VO5". What I really do is CO wash with VO5 conditioner. I use the word WASH and not SHAMPOO. Anyways congratulations on the hair compliments.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    20.5/22.5/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I don't get hair compliments often though. Probably because my hair typically is a mess no matter what I do with it!
    Faepirate, you hair in beautiful in your pic!

Length
    20.5/22.5/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I think you'll find it best not to mention LHC washing methods in casual hair conversations. Most people can't get past the idea that hair can be cleansed without using shampoo. If someone seems really interested, then yes, go ahead and explain more. But most people aren't that interested in learning more about hair care. Come up with a vague reply. I've said "oh I just wash it with VO5". What I really do is CO wash with VO5 conditioner. I use the word WASH and not SHAMPOO. Anyways congratulations on the hair compliments.
    Yes, I think you are right. They asked me what I was doing differently, I should have just said I switched to a new product.

When I started using Henna and people asked me about it they just didn't understand. I was approached by a total stranger when out shopping. She asked me to please write down the name and phone number of my hair stylist b/c she wanted hair exactly like mine. This was a few months ago after I had Henna/Indigoed my hair and then flat ironed it (before LHC). I tried to explain I don't use dye, etc. She seemed to think she could go to this stylist and get my exact hair!

I think from now on I'll just name the brand of conditioner I use and let it go at that.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Faepirate View Post

I like your hair.

Anyway, I rarely mention it to people. I did once, and the girl I was talking to basically flipped out.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

I usually explain CO to my family and my friends, but the few friends I have are pretty open minded and alternative thinking. We also have the mentality of "make do with what got" and many times have been "without" certain items in life and have gotten by just fine.

Explaining Henna is a trip though! Haha, I usually tell people it's a plant that grows in the Middle East and it's ground up and looks like a fine, greenish flour. I explain that I use hot water to activate the staining properties and then it looks like yogurt or mud depending on how you make it and then it is applied to your hair.

People don't know realize you can do things naturally, get great body and color and have healthier hair from not over processing and washing it so much.

I haven't had any adverse reactions to my routine, but I don't really chat about too many personal things such as bathing and hair washing to people that aren't close to me.

I remember old movies where women washed their hair only once a week etc. I don't know when we became so fanatical about cleansing.

My gran only washes her hair maybe 1 or 2 times a week and bathes every other day, so she doesn't think my methods are strange.

People from most countries other than the USA don't bathe and over cleanse obsessively.

I have a friend who went to France and the people kept asking her what in the world were Americans doing that they had to bathe so frequently? haha

Of course, before TLHC, I had a Jamaican friend who told me I washed my hair too much (which was daily or sometimes 2x a day) and she used to do deep conditioning treatments with CO only, but I didn't listen to her and kept washing my poor hair half to death. She kept encouraging me to grow my hair but I laughed it off and kept it short. (what was I thinking?)

My hair is the healthiest and most beautiful it has ever been in my life! (thanks CO and Henna) I am really happy to have learned more natural and alternative methods and me and my hair are happier for it!