Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Sleep caps

Length
    23/30/tb
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Default Re: Sleep caps

Quote Originally Posted by joyfulmom4 View Post
    Nowadays the kids don't even have the option of participating in band and orchestra and choir. They must choose only ONE. And the choice must be made in the 6th grade and CANNOT be changed later. If they pick band, then it's band only and that's it. Likewise choir and orchestra. No switching. No doing more than one. No joining later than 6th grade. I think this is absolutely awful. But apparently it's all about the school budget and what works easiest. Can't afford to teach kids both singing and an instrument. I asked if my dd could do both but they told me if I wanted her to do both, I would have to hire a private tutor and that there were community bands and choruses. This would not have upset me nearly as much if they had not acted like I was rude and impertinent for even asking. The reply was something like "it is not OUR job to provide a complete musical education for your child... we give them the opportunity to learn one discipline, if YOU want your child to have more, then there are community bands and choruses you can apply to and you can hire your own music teacher for lessons". Yeesh. So instead, my dd is *required* to have a study hall. Imagine that. A child who *wants* to learn more is told to go sit in a quiet room and read. (She reads plenty at home.) The worst part is that they don't even study in "study hall". The kids just sit around and pass notes or text if they can get away w/ it.

But wait, this wasn't a thread about that at all was it?

Jumping off my soapbox now. Sorry to hijack thread.
    Not a soapbox, just the facts.

And 6th grade is waaay too late.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear on explaining the lessons, all of ours were private-tutored beginning at age 7. But there were places like the Rotary Club (Rotarians in Europe I think) in the city who offered scholarships and various competitions (which we had to enter) to earn tutor money. Problem there? Only one scholarship per family. Grrr. And all 3 of us sometimes had to compete anyway because our folks said my bro (the real musician ) might not win. That did happen one time but only because I beat him. He was none too pleased.

Band and Orchestra Music education though has suffered and it is so important. Study hall is a total waste of time.

And I don't wear a sleep cap, but I have worn the showercap when oiling overnight. Very fetching...

Hugs!
    WD
    <--- May 2007 -- May 2015

Length
    shldr/APL/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Comfrey View Post
    How do peoples other halves feel about these caps? I remember my Mom going to bed in a hair net and I always thought she looked awful.

I know it's nothing really to do with them, and if theses caps work I might be inclined to buy one myself. But surely going to bed with something resembling a shower cap would perhaps .......... ummmm ......... you know what I mean
    I know what you mean. I can't imagine me getting on to bed with one on. My dh would have a field day with that.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

So how are you wearing your hair under the cap? Do you braid and bunch the braid up in it? That would seem to make an uncomfortable bump. Do you just pile your hair up under it loosely? What is the best way to make it work and also be comfortable?
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    23/30/tb
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Dear LaurelSpring, I make multiple braids which aren't really tight, and I'm a side sleeper. I clip the braids behind my head.

It isn't that uncomfortable. But the shower cap makes a crinkly noise that has awakened me sometimes. My dear hubby doesn't mind at all. He thinks I'm fetching weeding the garden all dirty and sweaty. Pffft.

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelSpring View Post
    So how are you wearing your hair under the cap? Do you braid and bunch the braid up in it? That would seem to make an uncomfortable bump. Do you just pile your hair up under it loosely? What is the best way to make it work and also be comfortable?
    I loosely wrap my length around one hand, bend over with the cap on, and drop the length in.

I too am waiting to see pics of this cap in action since a non-dowdy sleep cap seems impossible to me.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

This sounds interesting.

Add me to the cheap walmart sleep bonnet wearing group, though I tend to go for the drawstring ones. (Lately, I've got one of those "stay on satin" ones, which I wear inside-out.) I really dislike sleeping with my face on polyester satin, and it doesn't protect the length of my hair, which tends to end up under me. Braids fall victim to the evil tassel-munching cat, besides.

The Lucy looks cool, though I also keep eyeing that silk one on Tenderheaded.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    23/30/tb
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I just realized I have some washed silk shells hanging in the closet. I saved them for making drawstring purses, and just realized I could make sleeping bonnets!!!

Ooooo!

Y'all are so inspiring.

Will check them out and post pix if'n they are suitable. (Will do some measuring).

LHCers RAWK!

Hugs!
    WD

Mine came today from Maverick Wear. It's the Lucy model.

This is my DD8 modeling it, she has waist length hair.

I have my hair bunned and secured with a big clip and it fit in just fine, whereas it would not fit that way with my Wal-mart cap. But it is clear to me that all my hair will fit in just fine even when loose plus there is extra room to grow.

Also, I like the way it fits around my head. The Wal-mart cap was tight-fitting and bothersome. This Lucy cap is softer around the edges but more secure. I can't see this slipping off my head like the Wal-mart caps will.

Here's a closer look:

Now, I wanted the purple one on their website, but they don't carry that color anymore. They also don't have an updated website with their current colors so I had to pick one sight unseen. I chose the brown/blue/paisley and I'm sorry that I did - I think the colors are hideous. I am sorely disappointed with the colors although I'm sure others might think they're just fab.

Also, it is as if you are wearing the cap inside-out. The brilliant, shiny side goes on the inside and the dull, faded-looking side is what is visible on the outside. I need to keep reminding myself that this is simply a sleeping cap, made that way to protect my hair and not an accessory for beauty contests.

All-in-all, I like it. Except for the color. I should have waited until they revamped their website and posted their current colors (which they said they were going to do next year). But I was so sick of my Wal-mart cap, I couldn't wait.

Bottom Line: I still look like a geek wearing it, albeit a fashionable geek. I am much more pleased with this Lucy cap over a Wal-mart cap. My daughter wants one and I'd also like another, but I will wait until we are able to pick a color agreeable to us.
    Last edited by Themyst; May 26th, 2009 at 04:46 PM.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Thank you for sharing Themyst. Actually I love the color. Is the whole cap a draw string or elastic all around it. If possible can you take more pictures of the fabric that goes around the face. I hope I am making since.

Quote Originally Posted by Catladyintown View Post
    Thank you for sharing Themyst. Actually I love the color. Is the whole cap a draw string or elastic all around it. If possible can you take more pictures of the fabric that goes around the face. I hope I am making since.
    Happy to help! I hope this will help to clarify:

There is a 3" space on either side (right about where your ears would go maybe) were there is nothing - no elastic, no ties.

I'm glad you like the color. I felt bad berating it for that but those colors really bother me. Isn't that strange!

Last edited by Themyst; May 26th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.