Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ficcares and sore scalp?

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Ficcares and sore scalp?

I wear my Ficcares quite a bit but these past few months there is a spot on the back of my head that will become sore and actually feel warm to the touch after wearing my Ficcares.

It will go away after a few days as long as I don't wear my Ficcare but it seems to come back as soon as I wear it again.

I am starting to worry about causing traction Alopecia because it's obvious that the Ficcare is either pulling my hair or pushing against my scalp I just don't know which...

Does anyone else experience this?

Does anyone have any tips or ideas to help combat this?

I am about ready to completely stop wearing my Ficcares. Also I've tried to vary the heights of my updos and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Default Re: Ficcares and sore scalp?

I've gotten this problem on and off. What helps is changing the part so the hair is positioned differently overall.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    18,5"/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Changing the part sounds like a very good idea.

Luckily I do not have this problem with the Ficcares - but with a simple pony-tail this might happen when I have a sensitive day. Then the scalp tends to hurt like anything just because of some strands of hair which are a bit too tightly in the pony.

Maybe your updos are just a bit tight in general? Or maybe you do not gather enough hair close to the scalp so that the whole weight has to be held by few strands?
    Currently I am obsessed with arts and crafts - which is the main topic of my german-englisch Blog. This of course includes hairtoys. Please, feel free to come around and take a look!

I have worn my Ficcares every day for almost 6 months now and no ill consequences. I'd vote for the not enough scalp hair. I don't have a part, so I can't judge on that.

Every now and then I get a few hairs that pull. I have a tiny knitting needle for that to pull them out of the updo a bit.

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Thanks for your advice everyone.

AngelInDisguise and Eadwine
    I don't think it's my scalp hair or soreness from tightness. I've had those before and they are a completely different feeling; this is an actual pressure spot. After I wear a Ficcare it's sore and feels warm/hot to the touch for hours. I am thinking that it's from the Ficcare pushing against my scalp more than from it pulling a few hairs although I am not certain.

MiraChan I don't part my hair when in updos but I think maybe I should try some different partings and maybe that will make a difference.

If it is pushing against your scalp you will have to try new ways of putting it in, the weight might not be distributed enough.

Of course it could just be that you have a sensitive scalp, I have heard from more people who do and then the ficcare may just be a bit too much.

Length
    18,5"/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Just to think in a completely different way: You do not have a nickel allergy or something like that? It would of course not explain the pressure spot but maybe the hot feeling?
    Currently I am obsessed with arts and crafts - which is the main topic of my german-englisch Blog. This of course includes hairtoys. Please, feel free to come around and take a look!

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by eadwine View Post
    If it is pushing against your scalp you will have to try new ways of putting it in, the weight might not be distributed enough.

Of course it could just be that you have a sensitive scalp, I have heard from more people who do and then the ficcare may just be a bit too much.
    I only know of one way to put in a Ficcare, this is how I wear it.

Do you know of any other ways that could work? I've thought about putting it in top down but I think the curve of the Ficcare wouldn't work so well at that angle.

I think you might be right about the sensitive scalp, but I've never experienced this with any of my hair sticks or forks. I figured maybe their were some other LHCers who experienced this...

Quote Originally Posted by AngelInDisguise View Post
    Just to think in a completely different way: You do not have a nickel allergy or something like that? It would of course not explain the pressure spot but maybe the hot feeling?
    Now that you mention it with earrings I will sometimes get really red and irritated ears with some of my earrings. You might be on to something and that would make sense. I just always assumed the warmth on the spot was because of the blood rushing to the "injured" area.

Length
    26/30/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EvaSimone View Post
    Now that you mention it with earrings I will sometimes get really red and irritated ears with some of my earrings. You might be on to something and that would make sense. I just always assumed the warmth on the spot was because of the blood rushing to the "injured" area.
    It sounds like allergy to me. That is precisely the way I get with some earrings and/or necklaces, red spots that stay that way seemingly forever. (Doesn't get any worse than just red, though, so perhaps not a true allergy, just sensitivity. My nickel allergy gives me red itchy spots). I haven't had this problem with my Ficcarre, but I would try some other updos with it and see if it is that precise spot or a more general thing.

Length
    15.5/APL/Bra
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

I am by no means an expert on ficcares. Are you using the bottom (the non-pretty side) Like a hair stick? Then putting it in? Or are you using it more to slide under the bun with the pretty on top? I've seen people with lots of hair use theirs somewhat like a hair stick. Maybe that would help.

The other thing that might help would be to get a different shape.

Also you could practice some different styles Like this one from Hypnotica. Here is her video on the french twist bun.
    French twist bun by Hypnotica

And I believe someone started a thread somewhere about the many different styles you can wear with the different ficcares. I'll try to find it and post a link for you.