Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are my flexi-8s too small?

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Default Re: Are my flexi-8s too small?

Katze,

I have the mini - it does great for my half ups. I have an extra small for a ponytail and french twists. I need to order a small for my bun. My hair is baby, baby fine and thin - my ponytail at the nape is between 13/4" and 2" (depending on if I've washed or not-it's weird). So I found their sizing to be very true to life. (The mini is actually a bit loose for my half ups- sighing in envy at the thicker haired clan).

And yes, if you've bent it, sounds to me like it's too small! Not many people past the age of 5 have hair small enough for the minis!
    Last edited by rags; January 17th, 2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: edited to answer the question!

Length
    none/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily83 View Post
    With your hair as fine as it is per your hair type......you should probably be able to get your hair into a bun with a medium flexi. If it doesn't cover the entire bun, try inserting it into the inner coil, have the pin come out the other way then it should still hold. The large is slightly bigger but it does make a difference in how much hair it holds and have it being comfortable. I've found the flexi stays in a lot longer if your hair is up in some kind of bun or other updo and damp.
    Thanks.
    I hope it'll work. I didn't want to get a large because I thought it'd be way too big for me to do anything with. My hair is thin enough that I can twist it up and hild it with one of the smallest claw clips (the Goody's ones that are pretty much square). It's a little tight that way now but still possible.

I'd love to be able to bun with the Flexi-8 because I hate how it looks with elastics/scrunchies (all popped out 'n tight 'n small), I'm totally inept with hairpins, and bobbypins are hell on my hair.

I would have gotten the large and shared with with my mom, whose hair is much thicker than mine, but her hair has quite a ways to go before it's long enough for updos again (the ladies at work talked her into lopping it off last year and now she regrets it terribly so I'm helping her get back on the track to long but it's definitely gonna be a while).

Length
    pixie/BSL+/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post
    I seem to have already "broken" (bent) the smallest one trying to use it for a half-up, and have been using the bigger one for a half up (when it is supposed to hold ALL my hair?!?) all day today, hat/hood on and off, without it falling out.

How do I know which sizes I have so I can possibly order bigger ones next time?

How do I know which sizes "really" work for my (fine, slippery, thin-at-the-ends-thick-at the-roots) hair?
    I thought I had broken my mini the first time I bent it, too. Now, I routinely bend them depending on how I'm using them. My hair's down to a 2.25 pony circumference since I cut bangs and have been shedding a bit - I think you've probably got a bit more than that I do at the scalp and nape, but with a similar taper (or what I've been calling "perma-layered.")

I use my mini for half-ups, holding a bit less or more depending on whether I have it flattened out or bent into a curve. My extra-small will hold a pony pretty securely flattened out, or I can curve it and it will hold a rolled-up pony.

I hear you on the slippery. There was a bit of a learning curve for me when it came to getting as much hair stuffed in there as the silly things seem to need in order to stay put, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioLisa View Post
    At 2.5" circumference, I use a mini for half-ups and an extra small for ponies. Mediums are pretty much useless. I use larges for buns, but think I might need an XL soon.
    I don't think you have quite as steep a taper as I do, but try the medium at the top end of a french twist, or on just the crossover part of an infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by k_hepburn View Post
    Out of interest - since this thread coming up has me lustily browsing through their website already: if you do a low ponytail with a flexi-8, will you end up with the flexi-8 bent into a round-ish shape, or is it possible to do a low ponytail and have the flexi-8 spread out to look flat (more like a barrette). I'd really like to achive the latter look, but it needs to be reasonable secure.
    See above. Depends on the size of the thing and how much hair it has to hold.
    <--- It'll get there again
    You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it? -- Richard Bach, Ilusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Out of interest - since this thread coming up has me lustily browsing through their website already: if you do a low ponytail with a flexi-8, will you end up with the flexi-8 bent into a round-ish shape, or is it possible to do a low ponytail and have the flexi-8 spread out to look flat (more like a barrette). I'd really like to achive the latter look, but it needs to be reasonable secure.

katharine

Yes, the flexi-8 looks round-ish instead of flat on a ponytail. In fact, I have trouble keeping the flexi-8 from sliding off my ponytail, unless I use a smaller size, and then I have to stuff my ponytail into it, and I usually break a hair while trying to close it.

I've practiced a lot of hair styles with all of the flexi-8 sizes, often trying to recreate how folks describe using them. I love the way they look but I've NEVER been satisfied with them other than using the mini and the extra small for half-ups.

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

katharine

If you want a flat ponytail, why not use a french barette? I know it's difficult to find what you like, but at least they usually fit, and you don't have to practice using them.

Another alternative for a flat ponytail that might look more similar to a flexi-8, are the metal slides where you can bend the metal stick to make it hold more or less hair. Something like these: http://www.bronzejewelers.com/slide-ba.htm