Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does any one wash their hair with egg?

Length
    20/36/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Question Does any one wash their hair with egg?

I read about washing hair with egg or egg yoke to day, and while I have heard about this before I'm afraid I have not found much good information. I'm trying new things and alterantive hair care options so I was wondering if anybody ether dose or has done this and would have any practical advise for or aginst doing it. I know some basics like don't wash with hot water or it will cook the egg and things like that. But I would like to know about eggy smell staying around or how long it needs to stay in and any surprises that hapend along the way. Or if you know of other good ideas I would love to hear about them to.
    Thanks a bunch!!
    Last edited by wizzel; November 29th, 2008 at 12:59 AM.
    Lady Snowbird of the Great North Western valley in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    15"/14"/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Dose any one wash there hair with egg?

Hi there, wizzel!

I currently use eggs (yolk only) to wash my hair, in combination with soapnut liquid and lemon juice, but before I had soapnuts, I used just 1 egg yolk, 1/4 cup beer (or lemon juice) per wash. You can also add some herbal tea if you want. Peppermint and/or rosemary is very nice, and it helps with the egg smell. I find that if I don't rinse thoroughly enough, the smell is a bit unpleasant, but honestly, unless someone buries their nose in your hair and takes a good sniff, they won't be able to smell it. However, if it does smell bad, you can take 1 drop of any EO (essential oil) and distribute it evenly through your hair. Or if you oil your hair after washing it, then you can add EO to your normal hair oil and apply it as you usually would. Either way, it'll take care of the smell.

Hope this helps!

~Erin

Length
    15"/14"/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Oh, and one quick word of advice: I don't know how often you wash your hair, but I would not recommend using eggs more than once a week. If you do it more often, you're likely to get a protein overload, which is NOT fun! When I was new to homemade shampoos, I actually tried to wash my hair with eggs every day. YIKES! My hair was a dry, stiff, frizzy mess!! And that's what protein overload does for you.

~Erin

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Finoriel has a post about washing with egg in this thread: (post #13) http://www.longhaircommunity.com/for...t=14703&page=2
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

Length
    20/36/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Thank you one and all this is much better than the google serch i did you would not believe what came up!
    Lady Snowbird of the Great North Western valley in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request

I use the whole egg, I whip it up like I'm going to scramble it. I add warm, flat beer, lemon juice, clarifying poo and baking soda...I do this about once a month for my clarifying wash. I LOVE IT!!!

I don't have any issues with egg/beer smell; although, the first time I did it, I had the water temp too hot, and it cooked the egg. DH kept picking bits of egg white out of my hair for me.

Length
    20/36/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

I just read the links and they were great!! i'm beginning to think some of the miss info and confution on the web is a sneeky tactic to scare people away from trying new (and possibly better) ways of hair care

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Dose any one wash their hair with egg?

I have used egg yolk washes in the past. However my hair loves to hang on to the egg smell even when I added EO's and herbal rinses.

The worse time this happened was once when I heavily oiled my hair and then washed it out the next day with egg yolks, ACV and ylang ylang oil. I even did an acid rinse again at the end. The I put my hair up and left it til the next day.

The next day my hair felt great, soft and smooth and shiny and silky. However I went with some friiends to a church service and it was warm inside during the service and when some women went to hug me suddenly I got a whiff of rotten EGG SMELL!!!

No one said anything but I could see them pull back and look at me strangely and I got embarrassed!

Since then I have only used egg yolks as a step to wash out very heavy oilings (if needed) and then I wash with a poo bar after.

And I can still sometimes smell the egg! (or my dbf can!) ick

eta: after reading a lot of posts and looking at people who have luck with egg washes - it seems to me that most of them live in a cooler climate than I do. I also noticed that the smell problem is not as bad in the winter. However something must be staying behind in my hair, even with the acid rinses, in order to go bad and create this smell. Also when doing my acid rinses after I always saw some whitish coating come off my hair. Same when I did a poo bar wash after the egg.

I guess my hair just hangs onto eggs! Wish it worked for me as a wash.
    Last edited by ratgirldjh; May 23rd, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    na/na/na
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: Dose any one wash their hair with egg?

Is it true if you do a proteing treatment, food or otherwise, that you should do a good moisturizing treatment also because of protein drying out the hair?