Thread: Getting rid of split ends

Type
    3a/F/iii

Default Getting rid of split ends

When you trim your ends to remove split ends, how much do you need to cut to ensure the split is gone?

Thanks so much if you can help!

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Getting rid of split ends

I always cut about -----> _ this much above the split
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You will know. Some splits go deeper than they first appear. If you snip the split off and there's still a split, go higher and snip again. Otherwise you're good to go.

Length
    12/28/40
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I do regular S&D sessions, trimming splits and any white ends. Sometimes I notice that the white end continues way up the hair, often several inches... I try to trim until there the end looks normal. I used to heat style, probably using flat iron about 30 times total before I found LHC but have since stopped. I CO, use shampoo bars bi-weekly and only comb.

Any long time members know what this is? The end is not split it's just white tipped, which is obviously damaged but I'm wondering whats going on if it's going up the hair several inches... Most of the white ends I trim are gone once I get the very tip but I've found a few of these, usually it seems to be the coarsest hairs ( I have a real mix).

Any ideas about what is going on with these hairs I'm finding would be great...

Length
    22/34/term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by peachrose View Post
    I do regular S&D sessions, trimming splits and any white ends. Sometimes I notice that the white end continues way up the hair, often several inches... I try to trim until there the end looks normal. I used to heat style, probably using flat iron about 30 times total before I found LHC but have since stopped. I CO, use shampoo bars bi-weekly and only comb.

Any long time members know what this is? The end is not split it's just white tipped, which is obviously damaged but I'm wondering whats going on if it's going up the hair several inches... Most of the white ends I trim are gone once I get the very tip but I've found a few of these, usually it seems to be the coarsest hairs ( I have a real mix).

Any ideas about what is going on with these hairs I'm finding would be great...
    The white dot you are seeing is a where the hair has broken off. Its like a tree branch that has broken in the middle. I hope this makes sense. It seems everyone gets them.
    My Photo Journal like books?-- see my journal!
    I am lady Athena, keeper of wisdom, in the order of the long haired knights!

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

I generally cut about about an inch of hair off at any one time. It's not the most accurate method but it works for me - if any splits are left behind they sort of blend into the rest of my fuzz. If you want to do fine sections of hair, I recommend using small finger nail scissors, they are sharp and very precise.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It depends on the hair. If it's got a monster branchy split, I take off a lot above it, like 1 cm into what looks like good hair. If it's just got a teeny split at the end of the hair, I take off about the length of a hyphen (which varies with font, but you get the idea).

Depending on your hair, S&D can take a seriously long time. I think I finally got a significant number of splits yesterday, but it took several hours' worth of a long car ride to do it. And my hair is not that thick, and has splits on less than 10% of the ends (and less now).
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The white dot is sometimes where the hair overheated and steam burst out through the cuticle.