Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bleach Over Henna/Indigo

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Bleach Over Henna/Indigo

Hello hennaheads! I currently have two-step henna/indigo hair (several applications) that I think I would like to remove and try something a little brighter and more vibrant. I'm just wondering if there is any way to do it without bleaching that won't kill my hair. The lower half of my hair had also been chemically dyed in the past, so I don't want to fry that. If I do have to bleach, is there any type or brand that is better than another?? Is there any particular deep-treatments that will protect and save my hair better than others if I use bleach? I have used both the Caramel Treatment and SMT and am willing to do some more or more often or anything necessary. And suggestions?? Help!
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

I really don't think it's possible. I have tried every single method I could think of, both natural and not. What I did end up doing is eventually turning my hair into a nasty, gummy, melted slop that had to be cut from APL to mid-neck and still didn't lighten any indigo. Good luck to you though...

Some of themethods I tried work well on henna alone and even on hennindigo, but the two-step henna + indigo, that you, and I wanted to lighten, ya, not happening for me. I did manage to turn my indigo quite green by using bleach the first time, it was using bleach multiple times that gummified it.

Methods Tried
    honey/condish
    honey/condish/LJ
    honey/condish/hydrogen peroxide
    honey/coconut milk/olive oil
    olive oil/amla
    amla alone
    sun-in
    peroxide 3%, 6% and 9%
    peroxide/bleach - this one finally killed the hair
    *probably other combo's I forget to mention
    Last edited by wintersun99; March 24th, 2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: more stuff to say

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Hmmm... Thats what I was afraid of... Anyone else?? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The color that you have is shiny and lovely and you have quite a long length goal, so don't be messing with your hair too much. You could set yourself back a whole year, and that would be kind of a shame, I think. Two-toned hair looks pretty vibrant.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Thanks Spidermom! If nobody has removed the indigo in some way, I think I'll just let it grow and do my new growth with only Henna.

Length
    neck/APL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

I was able to bleach henna to a light enough shade to color on top, but not without significant damage along the way. I should have about midback length hair right now. Instead, I had to cut quite a bit away on my own, and later went to a salon to add layers and even up my at home hack job. My hair is sitting at armpit length right now.

I also had 2 step indigo in my bottom layer. It didn't go away, but it did fade to a greenish blue. The dye I chose covers it pretty well, but it is still somewhat visible in the right light, especially when the dye fades after a few weeks.

Knowing what I know about how my hair reacted to bleach, especially over the indigo, I would not attempt to bleach indigo if I had it all over my head.

Length
    20/34/37
    Type
    1a/C/iii

My hair color is naturally black. I had done 2 step henna and indigo over it to cover grays and to improve scalp health. About a year ago, I decided to have a one inch section of hair lightened from root to ends so that I could have a lighter streak of color. Just that one section of hair took 3 hours to lighten, and it turned every shade from green to blue, to orange, to pink before it eventually got light enough to henna over. It also left that section of hair fairly frail. I have extremely coarse straight hair, so my hair was able to recover, but I would strongly caution against trying to bleach henna and indigoed hair.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Another person here saying just to grow it out.

If you haven't tried it, you could give an alkaline shampoo at whirl (like baby shampoo), it's what's recommended for getting dyes like Manic Panic out, but you seem to be one of those for whom indigo is very colorfast, so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Has anyone mentioned Colorfix, leaving out step 3? (the peroxide - don't do this, as others have said)

It worked a bit for me and I had some indigo as well as henna in my hair. Takes enough out so that you might get a colour you'd be more comfortable with. Also not damaging - but do a strand test first.

Good old yoghurt also lifts quite a bit out without damage.

After doing both of these I got enough out to highlight over, but my hair's pretty damaged. Good luck

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Thanks so much everyone! I think I'm going to try a soak of yogurt, honey, EVOO, and coconut oil, let sit a long time, the wash out with baby shampoo! I figured why not try it, right? Plus, thats the stuff that I have laying around, so I don't have to go to the store!