Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bleach Over Henna/Indigo

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

There's some manner of colorfix in the world that doesn't use peroxide or ammonia, it has citric acid and some other things instead.

I have a box at home.

I've been prone to fussing with my color--I tend to mix honey with either conditioner or baby shampoo. It doesn't lighten a whole awful lot, but it makes me happy nonetheless. (but I'm weird) And of course, I promptly redarken it a few days/weeks/months later with henna, so I'm sort of spinning my wheels there.

Length
    pixie/hip/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Im not a big fan of bleach so I wouldnt recommend it anyways, but I know if it has metallic salts in it it can damage your hair even more than bleach usually does when applied over henna or indigo, and turn some gnarly colors as well.

I have a box of color oops that I had considered using to lighten my chemical black before hennaing. I never did use it, but its supposed to be gentle on hair. Doesnt contain peroxide or anything.

Because I never use dit, I now have about 3" of growth thats not black, and Ive been hennaing it, so my roots are a deep red and the rest of my hair is black with kind of a red sheen to it. It looks kinda cool, actually. It sounds liek you may have similar results if you just start hennaing without lightening.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Please don't bleach over Indigo *she said wearily*. I did and despite re-hennaing still have fine strands of greeny-blue throughout the red, gold, dark brown etc. I quite like it myself, as green hair suits me anyway. But most people wouldn't want it. Plus, attempts to further bleach on past the green rendered those hairs fragile.

Bleach over henna by all mean, provided it's just henna and herbs with no metallic salts. I have had nice results from this and been left with suprisingly well conditioned hair. But Indigo = no bleaching. Unless you like green hair (and some do!).

Just go on with your henna. I really think that you will be happier in the long run...

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

No, definitely no green hair for me! It's one color that doesn't really go with my complexion! I'm sitting here with a mix of yogurt, honey, EVOO, and coconut oil on my head, and eventually will go wash it out. It's already been on for 2 1/2 hours, so we'll see what it does. While I was working it into my hair, though, I did notice the drips were coming out slightly blue-greenish. I have a little bit of hope!
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I am going to echo what everyone else has already said. Luckily for me I decided to *only* bleach two strands to make sort of a stripey look (really dumb). Well I had indigo in it already, so my roots turned platinum while the rest of the strand turned a bluish green. Being very intelligent, I decided to leave the bleach in longer to lighten it more and it got very gummy and squishy. The plan was to cover the strands with purple which I did, but with the continual fading I couldnt take the upkeep. So I hennaed over it *multiple* times and now it matches pretty well but you can still see the color difference. The quality of the hair isn't too bad, though. I can't really tell a difference from the rest of my hair except that it is lighter. So thats good, right?
    Lady Aufaniae of the Restoring Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I am also sitting here with EVOO and yogurt on my head - although I did it a little differently this time. I have EVOO in my hair for about 2 hours now and I am about to add the yogurt for another hour. Keeping fingers crossed for us both! (although in my case, I believe that anything that was going to fade/come out, has already)

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Ooh, good luck, wintersun! At least its a good deep treatment!!
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Type
    1c/2a/F/i

@Wintersun99 and DolphinPrincess:

The tomato lightening recipe might be of interest to you, Liv has reported quite some succes with using it on her previously hennaed/indigoed/chemically dyed hair.
    This is her post from the Honey Thread.

Length
    :(/:(/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

For what it's worth, I've been growing out my two-step henna/indigo'd hair since last July and my indigo has faded out a lot. My hair is not even black anymore. I would just keep up the henna at the roots only and see if your indigo fades with time. It might.
    Lady Chalchihuitlicue of the Flowing Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinPrincess View Post
    Thanks Spidermom! If nobody has removed the indigo in some way, I think I'll just let it grow and do my new growth with only Henna.
    This is what I was going to suggest.