Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poverty Good for Hair!

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Poverty Good for Hair!

I was thinking about something, and made a startling discovery - poverty is good for my hair!

Back before last year, I was very low-income, I think I actually was official poverty level. Having no money meant I never considered getting a cut at a salon or buying fancy shampoos or dyes. I was letting my hair grow nice and long, basically because it was the cheapest way to go! And was shampooing with soapwort (which actually ends up being pretty cheap) alternated with a cheap, natural shampoo, and dyeing my grays with tea! And my hair was beautiful, wonderfully healthy, and long!

However, this last year, I went up to full-time work and am actually making a decent living. And stupidly I went to the salon twice and got a color (totally unnecessary and stupid, not to mention painful with burning scalp), and very stupidly got layers cut another time. I've also spent tons and tons of money trying out everything interesting thing I've discovered here (and there are so many!!).

So, I think somehow I need to trick myself into thinking I am back at poverty level - for my hair's sake!!

Length
    14shr/32hip/39cls
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Poverty Good for Hair!

Interesting...I pretty much grew up in poverty, and had no haircut until I was 12. I'm sorry to hear about your reaction to the color. Maybe you're either allergic or they left it on for too long? They shouldn't get color on the scalp though-that's not a normal reaction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Hee hee. That's how come my hair is long now, well, one reason. I always wanted long hair but never could get below BSL, always it looked so ratty and I thought it needed a trim (read: Cut) so it never got long.

Then I got divorced and then I lost my job. Oooof. No salon for me. No trim. No nothing at all... suave shampoo and conditioner, diluted for cheapness, oh my. Wearing my hair up because it looked ratty.

And suddenly my hair was approaching waist!

So yes, Poverty can be Very Good for Hair.
    Now I can afford a salon, but I've learned: I love my hair just the way it is.

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

its so true! leaving your hair alone is often a good thing.
    also, i am sorry about your bad slaon experience. i have had a couple of them myself, and now i am salon-phobic!

Length
    APL/APL/BSL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I hear you about product binges --- I got a new job that pays me more money than I've ever had in my life... and where did that money go? Hair...
    I subscribe to the Universal Church of Love and Hope for all Living Things.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/20/WL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I hate to think of you having gone through poverty, Mellie...but yes, the best my hair has ever been and the longest it has ever grown was during the times that I did practically diddly-squat to it. So I agree with you.

Length
    BSL/waist/thigh

I haven't been to a hair salon in over 20 years. Whatever money I save by not getting haircuts is probably spent on other things though. This is how I justify my shoe purchases.

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I hadn't really ever thought about it, Mellie, but yeah. When my hair was its longest, I really just couldn't afford to do anything to it. Stay at home mom, absolutely NO money for anything extra and when there *was* extra, it got spent on the kiddos. Cheap shampoo, cheap conditioner, no haircut (not even a trim) for over 5 years all equaled awesome knee length hair.

So that's my plan now, too. Besides, I'd rather spend my money on good coffee, not a salon visit!
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Haha, isn't it true? It must be hard on one's hair to be a rich celebrity!! :-)

Length
    17/waist/knee
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Arrow Re: Poverty Good for Hair!

I agree with you Mellie
    My hair is in it's best condition when I leave it alone

Many celebrities get their hair cut and colored every three weeks sometimes. Then they decide they want it long again and get extensions. Their hair thus goes through this vicious cycle of cut,color,extensions, color again. Also go from blond hair to dark brown back to blond. It seems that they sometimes change their hair for movie roles but I think that it is mostly their choice.

I think Lindsay Lohan has gorgeous natural hair The red color and thickness are a point of envy. Unfortunately she puts her hair through that vicious cycle Maybe it is because she has the money.
    Lady Cocoa Silk of the Longhaired Knights!
    My beautiful dark chocolate colored hair flowing through the winds
    toward the shaded canopy of chocolate trees.