Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know why some hair color suits you best?

Default Do you know why some hair color suits you best?

I feel a little bothered because I can't tell the reason why some certain haircolour looks so good on some person and on some other doesn't. With me, time after time I see from photographs, that (reddish) dark brown is my colour. It just makes me look my best. Strong, healthy and young. With dark brown I also feel strong and protected (but still I get bored of it if I always have that colour). But I have no idea why. My eyes are not dark brown but green. My eyebrows used to be thick and dark but are not that anymore (naturally). My skin colour is pretty basic, but if I bleach my hair, my skin looks red. Black is clearly too dark and sharp to me. My natural colour is pretty darkish brown, but it goes better if it gets a little darker and redder. So I'd just like to hear answers to my question in the title

In the photo is the best hair color for me on my opinion.

Last edited by Priska; May 4th, 2024 at 10:55 PM.

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

Default Re: Do you know why some hair color suits you best?

As far as I know, it has to do with underlying pigment. Some skin tones, despite appearing the same, are actually warmer, cooler, or neutral. You can also match your outfits to your skin tone the same way you do your hair and it can play up or play down the coolness/warmth. I personally avoid wearing pale yellow very often, as it tends to wash me out, especially in winter, but highlights seem to suit my face, perhaps because of my hazel eyes. Jet black hair makes me look quite pale.
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    pixie/short/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Yes, it's all to do with pigment. I'm terrible at picking out subtleties in skin tone, but I've had hairstylists (colorists?) that really knew their stuff and could pick the best hair colours for me. I usually look tired and washed out with my natural colour. Yay, me.
    In a grow and cut cycle...

Length
    APL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I know the blonde I dyed it in Grade 11 totally washed me out, as did the chestnut brown I dyed it in my senior year. My (formerly) natural medium strawberry blonde/red and my current color of light to medium golden brown looks just fine (though my eyebrows and body hair are the same color they've always been, so it might look like I dyed my hair when I haven't). Gray/white would totally wash me out, so if they ever appear (I'm nearly 52, and still no grays, it just went a few shades darker), I'll be covering it up with Natural Instincts in Medium Golden Brown (which is the closest to my current color, since going back to my old color would be too much work, so I'll keep the brown). Mom says I'm not gray yet since I didn't have kids, since she went gray in her 30's (she's naturally close to the color I have now, but dyes it blonde, so she has my old color and I have hers, go figure), and I wouldn't be caught dead with the hairstyle she prefers (since I would look like I'm 70).

I have a warm complexion. I look better in gold than silver (though I tend to wear more of the latter) and my veins look more green than blue. I had my colors done a while back, but wear colors that I like, regardless of whether they suit my coloring or not (screw that, since I'm not wearing a color I despise just because it might suit my coloring better).
    Keeper of the Royal Order of Playful Kitties
    No trimming 2024: 11 January - 30 June
    APL - ​MBL - WL

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Priska, I think this has to do with the color season theory, and you could find some answers in this thread or there are many websites dedicated to the topic, such as this one (if you scroll all the way down, you can click on all seasons).
    No length-check challenge: May 2024 - May 2025
    When it's broken, fix it. When it works, don't change it.

My Instagram

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Skin tone. Warm or cool. Simple as that.

Btw, you are very pretty but you may want to hide your face on a public board.
    Last edited by GordonMurphella; May 6th, 2024 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Remove extraneous word

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    I feel a little bothered because I can't tell the reason why some certain haircolour looks so good on some person and on some other doesn't. With me, time after time I see from photographs, that (reddish) dark brown is my colour. It just makes me look my best. Strong, healthy and young. With dark brown I also feel strong and protected (but still I get bored of it if I always have that colour). But I have no idea why. My eyes are not dark brown but green. My eyebrows used to be thick and dark but are not that anymore (naturally). My skin colour is pretty basic, but if I bleach my hair, my skin looks red. Black is clearly too dark and sharp to me. My natural colour is pretty darkish brown, but it goes better if it gets a little darker and redder. So I'd just like to hear answers to my question in the title

In the photo is the best hair color for me on my opinion.

Ohh yes! A lot of people tell me with my skintone or complexion I look much better as a blonde than I do as a brunette. I feel that I look good with all colors! But I always preferred the light colors. Like, red and blonde.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    Chin/BCL/CL

Quote Originally Posted by GordonMurphella View Post
    Skin tone. Warm or cool. Simple as that.

Btw, you are very pretty but are you may want to hide your face on a public board.
    Why?
    A lot of us show our faces here.
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Skintone is one part, but I also think that eyebrows and eyelashes matter. For example, do I have black eyebrows and thus people think that black is my natural color, despite it being light brown. If I would have had my mothers very blond eyebrows and eyelashes, it would look different.

Eye color can also make a difference according to me.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/BCL/CL

I don't think it's only the color/tone of our skin that are a factor here.
    Eyecolor, eyebrow color has a part in it too, I believe.
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc