Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: protein for hair only hides damage

Length
    1cm/23.5"/term
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: protein for hair only hides damage

also my curly hair loves protein, even before i bleached it, and it helps define my curls more. it is perfectly SAFE to use protein on your hair. the only time you should be concerned is if someone does a PROTEIN STRAIGHTENING treatment on your hair, like you said you experienced. a protein leave-in or protein mask will NOT damage your hair. you already washed it out. it is OUT of your hair. Take a deep breath. Yes product can weigh down your hair, but it is not the end of the world. You just gotta try light weight products for your hair. It sounds like you would benefit from light weight spray on leave-in conditioners. You can totally use one with protein in it because it will help your hair curl more. The reason a product might make your hair curl less is because it's too heavy or maybe you put too much in your hair. You can also get ones without protein but curly hair does need a nice balance between protein and moisture if you want good definition and bounce. if you like your frizz, that's perfectly okay too! You don't have to change your routine if your current routine works for you. I will say this again, protein is safe to use and will NOT permanently damage your hair, especially in a shampoo, conditioner, leave-in or mask.
    ~Buzz ☆ Shoulder ☆ APL ☆ MBL ☆ Waist ~
    time to grow grow grow

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinsage View Post
    also my curly hair loves protein, even before i bleached it, and it helps define my curls more. it is perfectly SAFE to use protein on your hair. the only time you should be concerned is if someone does a PROTEIN STRAIGHTENING treatment on your hair, like you said you experienced. a protein leave-in or protein mask will NOT damage your hair. you already washed it out. it is OUT of your hair. Take a deep breath. Yes product can weigh down your hair, but it is not the end of the world. You just gotta try light weight products for your hair. It sounds like you would benefit from light weight spray on leave-in conditioners. You can totally use one with protein in it because it will help your hair curl more. The reason a product might make your hair curl less is because it's too heavy or maybe you put too much in your hair. You can also get ones without protein but curly hair does need a nice balance between protein and moisture if you want good definition and bounce. if you like your frizz, that's perfectly okay too! You don't have to change your routine if your current routine works for you. I will say this again, protein is safe to use and will NOT permanently damage your hair, especially in a shampoo, conditioner, leave-in or mask.
    I now regret how i acted, I think I probably was more likley to have caused damage by washing the lengths with shampoo even though my shampoo said it was ok to do that. I don't normally do that, I did it to get the leave in out but yes I think I overreacred I don't know what came over me. Paranoia and fear. Kind of scary really. My imagination is very strong i will convince myself of things sometimes.

Well I don't get so much frizz as long as i don't over shampoo it, I find the natural sebum defines my curls and conditioner defines my curls....... protein is just a kind of conditioner as far as i'm concerned...

I also agree there is nothing wrong with a bit of frizz sometimes, as long as it's not over boeard, especially at the roots it doesn't bother me that much. Happens after I wash the roots sometimes.
    Last edited by filip; May 1st, 2024 at 05:48 PM.

I have very fine curls, so i'm always scared to use heavy products that will weigh it down that's why it stick to lightweight conditioner.............. I find that natural sebum really helps my hair curl more than anything

i feel really embaressed and stupid how I tried to wash something out of my hair thart was already washed out... i must be crazy...... i think i'm just scared of anything happening to my hair and i overreacted. My reaction was more likely to cause damage than anything else. I don't know what's up with me sorry.
    Last edited by filip; May 1st, 2024 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinsage View Post

Can you recommend me a lightweight conditioner that will help define my curls and leave in too? I'm also looking to use an oil free shampo for curls that won't weigh my hair down.

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

Have you tried using a denman brush to brush style your curls? The ribboning effect should make your curls tighter. You can also finger coil to encourage the curls in each clump.
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    1cm/23.5"/term
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

My hair really needs medium weight conditioners. I currently use the medium weight conditioner by Pattern, but I'll be switching over to the Alikay Naturals Caribbean coconut milk conditioner soon just because I'm running out and wanted to try something else. The Pattern conditioner has good slip and smells nice, even as a medium weight conditioner, it's still too light for my hair. Pattern does have a lightweight conditioner too, but it has coconut in it (just in case you're allergic to coconut). I checked the ingredients and they look good and safe! There is hydrolyzed vegetable protein in the medium weight conditioner, it's more than halfway down the list so it's very gentle, and NO protein in the lightweight conditioner.

As for leave-ins, I have been using the Aveda nutriplenish leave-in. It's definitely lightweight! I tend to use like 10 sprays on my hands because I need a lot of leave-in for my curls. You could probably just do 2 sprays on your hands and rake it through your hair. Also, since you said sebum is really good for your curls, you can do 3-4 drops of jojoba oil in your hands and do the "praying hands" method by putting your palms together and gently going over the length of your hair. Jojoba oil is really close to our natural sebum, and it will help lock in moisture without weighing down your hair. It also adds shine and protects your ends!

Hope this helps!
    ~Buzz ☆ Shoulder ☆ APL ☆ MBL ☆ Waist ~
    time to grow grow grow