Thread: Herbal hair care

Default Herbal hair care

I used to have a coworker who had very healthy hair and used herbal oils and rinses to make it happen. Since cutting my own hair (thanks quarantine) is now a thing I do, I’ve wanted to try using more herbs in my hair care, inspired by this coworker and also to treat my hair as it endures through ugly haircuts. Any recipes or ideas folks would recommend?

Default Re: Herbal hair care

Quote Originally Posted by larryhughes View Post
    I used to have a coworker who had very healthy hair and used herbal oils and rinses to make it happen. Since cutting my own hair (thanks quarantine) is now a thing I do, I’ve wanted to try using more herbs in my hair care, inspired by this coworker and also to treat my hair as it endures through ugly haircuts. Any recipes or ideas uno online folks would recommend?
    Any ideas? I'm still waiting for u!

Hi Larry-- I would suggest a search, as this has been discussed many times. Also, please have some patience-- remember that our members hail from all over the world (and thus many time zones), and we all have jobs and lives besides posting here.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

I used to use herbal rinses all the time when I was younger.

Rinsing my dry hair and scalp in an infusion of nettle tea did dry my hair but it also removed grease from my scalp.

Rinsing my dry hair and scalp in an infusion of rosemary tea made my hair shiny and did not dry my scalp.

Rinsing my dry hair and scalp in an infusion of camomile tea made my hair dry but lightened my hair.

If I put oil on my scap it made my hair fall out so I stuck to putting it on my hair.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Catnip tea is extremely popular for helping to reduce split-ends.

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by maborosi View Post
    Catnip tea is extremely popular for helping to reduce split-ends.
    Really? (no sarcasm intended) Huh. Is it really hydrating or something? I kinda wanna try it, but I've got two cats, and I'd be worried about them chomping on my hair, or rubbing their faces in it, as they like to be in my space and catnip is a big hit for them. Especially my boy.
    ~~ Classic ~~ Fingertip ~~ Knee ~~ ? ~~

Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleQuill View Post
    Really? (no sarcasm intended) Huh. Is it really hydrating or something? I kinda wanna try it, but I've got two cats, and I'd be worried about them chomping on my hair, or rubbing their faces in it, as they like to be in my space and catnip is a big hit for them. Especially my boy.
    I can't remember exactly, but there's something in the catnip that, when steeped as a tea, can help prevent split-ends. I'll see if I can dig up the thread on it! ^^

Here it is!

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I can't remember exactly, but there's something in the catnip that, when steeped as a tea, can help prevent split-ends. I'll see if I can dig up the thread on it! ^^

Here it is!
    Thank you so much, Maborosi! I'll read the thread now. I'm about to go on holidays, so I won't be able to try it 'till I get back, but at least now I know what to do with leftover catnip for my cats' refill toys!

Update: I learned so much! It's convinced me to give it a try! Thanks again for the information, Maborosi.
    Last edited by LittleQuill; April 10th, 2024 at 10:25 PM.

Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

No worries! Enjoy your holiday! ^^ I hope you'll give it a try.

I have volunteer catnip in my yard and have been picking it and drying it, so I may wind up adding it to my routine on wash day, perhaps!

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

No worries! Enjoy your holiday! ^^ I hope you'll give it a try.

I have volunteer catnip in my yard and have been picking it and drying it, so I may wind up adding it to my routine on wash day, perhaps!
    Thank you! It's the first big holiday my husband and I have had together, so we're looking forward to it. We saved for this for literal years.

Oh, you do? I'll have to buy mine, but if you do give it a shot, do post back! I'm curious to see how your hair likes it. Seems like a big win over on the thread you linked.