Thread: Rice water + clove/green tea water as a shampoo alternative

Length
    sl/cl/mtl
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Default Rice water + clove/green tea water as a shampoo alternative

I am experimenting with clove and green tea water as an alternative to commercial shampoo. I’ve used them both separately before as after-shampoo rinses and I love them, so I decided to give it a try. Am a big fan of rice water too and used that as a wash before that. I rely on oils daily and especially on detangling days, so I’m hoping that this will at least clean my scalp enough for it to not get irritated or itchy. Ideally? I would only have to shampoo my hair once a month and that would be with a shampoo bar. Once I get my hands on some flax seeds, I would like to use the gel as my conditioner/leave in. That would cut down on the products I rely on so much. I just need to figure out what alternative shampoo keeps my scalp happy.

Length
    sl/cl/mtl
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Rice water + clove/green tea water as a shampoo alternative

Update: so far there isn’t really itchiness on my scalp. I used the two rinses to wash my hair again yesterday since I accidentally got some oil meant for my ends on my scalp. This time, though, I did the rice water treatment last. After keeping it in my hair for 20 mins, i rinsed my hair with cool water. Another thing I did different this time was I used a conditioner in the shower and then again as a leave in since my ends were starting to feel kind of dry. My hair just looks a bit weighed down, however! My curls are curling more thanks to the rice water. I wonder why rice water is used as a cleanser for hair, though. I wonder if it has something to do with the starch? It seemed to work okay. The next wash will mark the start of week 2 without shampoo.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Rice water + clove/green tea water as a shampoo alternative

I've used fermented rice water with herbs to wash my hair some years ago. It worked, but after a few washes my hair got a waxy layer and I needed to do a CO-wash to remove it. The hair got a bit dry and static in the ends too. I experimented some more with it and added some ayurveda powders and more herbs later. I did eventually found a recepie that worked without getting my hair waxy or dry. But as I went back to CO-washing as it's a lot easier.

Today I still use the rice water and lots of herbs in my homemade hair masks.

I don't know how often you was your hair, but I know that rice water can become too much for the hair, if you use it too often.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights