Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conditioner Bars

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Conditioner Bars

Quote Originally Posted by floridaorchid View Post
    I like it pretty well, but I haven't had any other problems. I like them and I think the holding trays are super helpful! I just am tempted to see if I can find a cheaper option as well. I'm going to be a stay-at-home mom soon, so I want to find options that are the most cost effetive.
    And they're great for travelling, too!

Would looking on Etsy be an option? Or looking for something in your local shops, so you don't have to pay for delivery? Or use a service like Afterpay? (I'm not rolling in funds either, so I find split-payment options like Afterpay a huge help.) Or! Maybe you could visit some sort of market for handmade things?

I'm sorry if I'm not helpful. I'm not American, so I'm not familiar with what you might or might not have avaliable to you.
    ~~ Classic ~~ Fingertip ~~ Knee ~~ ? ~~

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleQuill View Post
    And they're great for travelling, too!

Would looking on Etsy be an option? Or looking for something in your local shops, so you don't have to pay for delivery? Or use a service like Afterpay? (I'm not rolling in funds either, so I find split-payment options like Afterpay a huge help.) Or! Maybe you could visit some sort of market for handmade things?

I'm sorry if I'm not helpful. I'm not American, so I'm not familiar with what you might or might not have avaliable to you.
    Etsy and other stores do Klarna too.

I would say be especially vigilant with conditioner bars: the incredible majority of "handmade" ones are anything but, or they're a bunch of compressed oils and butters that aren't actually conditioning, and can leave your hair stiff and tacky.

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Etsy and other stores do Klarna too.

I would say be especially vigilant with conditioner bars: the incredible majority of "handmade" ones are anything but, or they're a bunch of compressed oils and butters that aren't actually conditioning, and can leave your hair stiff and tacky.
    A fair point. I've encountered that with shampoo bars I bought from a store on there (wasn't the maker's fault). I fell into the now seemingly common trap of the whole, 'If you transition to a shampoo bar, you'll find that they're moisturising enough that you won't need condtioner! Follow with an ACV rinse, and you'll have lovely, healthy hair!' speal. This was backed by a plethora of reviewers saying the same thing, so I believed it. I did it this way for about a year and was forever wondering why my hair was ridiculously tangled, sandpaper-y and so brittle that it would snap without any force at all. At the time, I'd chalked it up to the 'transition phase' that everyone talks about when switching to the usage of bars. Because it was gradual, I didn't notice until about a year or less later that I actually had a significant amount of breakage, and a fair amount of it sits around my ears. I realised then that the bars I was using weren't doing me any favours, so when I'd used all of the batch that I bought from the seller, I decieded to switch to a brand who also made conditioner bars. Now, my hair is in a much better state. I don't have horrendous tangles anymore, it's no longer snapping at nothing, and it actually feels the way I like it to feel. In the time since, I've done some research into how and why this happened in the first place. Here's what I learned:

I have pretty horrible hard water, so unless the bars have chelating agents in them like citric acid, those saponified oil shampoo bars (that have no other ingredients in them besides oils) aren't going to remove the minerals that are in the water, and that even an ACV rinse won't remove the buildup (it can slow it down, apparently, but it won't take off what might already be there), so I would say that was certainly contributing. To combat that, I pretty much have to use a shampoo or bar that has some form of surfactant (or, as mentioned, a chelating agent) in it to clear away any mineral buildup. Also, I absolutely cannot skip conditioner, no matter how much the maker's claim you don't need it. And I no longer touch my hair with a brush or comb while it's wet unless it's in the shower and coated within an inch of its life with conditioner. My hair and I are much happier now, but I'm still nursing the breakage that happened back then. I thought about cutting my hair to a bob to fix it, but I can't bring myself to do that, as, while the breakage makes me sad to see whenever I look in a mirror, it's not so bad that it's full-on chunks that have snapped, nor is it overly noticeable unless it's windy (Hello halo!) - so right now, I'm just trying to be careful with it. I still use shampoo and conditioner bars, but now I'm a lot more conscious of what's not in them that needs to be, and I now use a clarifying shampoo whenever my hair starts to feel unpleasant again, too. Using a shampoo bar with nothing but oils in it might sound great on paper, and they might work fantastically for some people (especially those who have a water filter or soft water or have shorter hair), none of those options are applicable to me, unfortunately, so I have to leave them for other people to use, because I shouldn't. Long story long, I've learned my lesson.
    Last edited by LittleQuill; March 10th, 2024 at 01:06 AM.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleQuill View Post
    A fair point. I've encountered that with shampoo bars I bought from a store on there (wasn't the maker's fault). I fell into the now seemingly common trap of the whole, 'If you transition to a shampoo bar, you'll find that they're moisturising enough that you won't need condtioner! Follow with an ACV rinse, and you'll have lovely, healthy hair!' speal. This was backed by a plethora of reviewers saying the same thing, so I believed it. I did it this way for about a year and was forever wondering why my hair was ridiculously tangled, sandpaper-y and so brittle that it would snap without any force at all. At the time, I'd chalked it up to the 'transition phase' that everyone talks about when switching to the usage of bars. Because it was gradual, I didn't notice until about a year or less later that I actually had a significant amount of breakage, and a fair amount of it sits around my ears. I realised then that the bars I was using weren't doing me any favours, so when I'd used all of the batch that I bought from the seller, I decieded to switch to a brand who also made conditioner bars. Now, my hair is in a much better state. I don't have horrendous tangles anymore, it's no longer snapping at nothing, and it actually feels the way I like it to feel. In the time since, I've done some research into how and why this happened in the first place. Here's what I learned:

I have pretty horrible hard water, so unless the bars have chelating agents in them like citric acid, those saponified oil shampoo bars (that have no other ingredients in them besides oils) aren't going to remove the minerals that are in the water, and that even an ACV rinse won't remove the buildup (it can slow it down, apparently, but it won't take off what might already be there), so I would say that was certainly contributing. To combat that, I pretty much have to use a shampoo or bar that has some form of surfactant (or, as mentioned, a chelating agent) in it to clear away any mineral buildup. Also, I absolutely cannot skip conditioner, no matter how much the maker's claim you don't need it. And I no longer touch my hair with a brush or comb while it's wet unless it's in the shower and coated within an inch of its life with conditioner. My hair and I are much happier now, but I'm still nursing the breakage that happened back then. I thought about cutting my hair to a bob to fix it, but I can't bring myself to do that, as, while the breakage makes me sad to see whenever I look in a mirror, it's not so bad that it's full-on chunks that have snapped, nor is it overly noticeable unless it's windy (Hello halo!) - so right now, I'm just trying to be careful with it. I still use shampoo and conditioner bars, but now I'm a lot more conscious of what's not in them that needs to be, and I now use a clarifying shampoo whenever my hair starts to feel unpleasant again, too. Using a shampoo bar with nothing but oils in it might sound great on paper, and they might work fantastically for some people (especially those who have a water filter or soft water or have shorter hair), none of those options are applicable to me, unfortunately, so I have to leave them for other people to use, because I shouldn't. Long story long, I've learned my lesson.
    Yeah just like you have to be wary of conditioner bars that are just oils the majority of "shampoo bars" that are "soap" is astounding and it's awful for your hair. I'm wary of any shampoo bar that says you "need" ACV because that's a common red flag of an alkaline soap bar relabeled as shampoo and it trashes your hair and disrupts the acid mantle of the scalp.

I have awful hard water too, and while I do an acidic Alluival rinse to help with that, it shouldn't be because of the alkaline properties of the soap-masquerading-as-shampoo bars.

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, but grateful you've found something that works!

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Yeah just like you have to be wary of conditioner bars that are just oils the majority of "shampoo bars" that are "soap" is astounding and it's awful for your hair. I'm wary of any shampoo bar that says you "need" ACV because that's a common red flag of an alkaline soap bar relabeled as shampoo and it trashes your hair and disrupts the acid mantle of the scalp.

I have awful hard water too, and while I do an acidic Alluival rinse to help with that, it shouldn't be because of the alkaline properties of the soap-masquerading-as-shampoo bars.

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, but grateful you've found something that works!
    That's another thing I had to learn. PH balanced shampoos are a must. Not just bars, but any kind. I now won't even look at bars or shampoos that don't state it. I can't recall having any scalp issues from the other bars, but I was going through the aforementioned issues with my hair, so if I did, I didn't notice. I'm sad that what happened happened in order for me to be able to make informed decsions about what I'm putting on my head and hair, but in doing so, I've come out the other side better off.

If you're into the natural approach to things like me (I have nothing against commercial products and don't demonise silicones and sulphates. If they work for you, go ham!), be careful. Most companies and people who make these products aren't out there to cause harm, but without knowing what it is you're buying and whether it'll suit your environment, they absolutely can. I'm in no way saying don't buy them and support these businesses, just make sure the choices you choose to make are informed. Don't assume it's good for you because companies (and people) tell you it is. Buy your products with your thinking lightbulb on.

Length
    HL/TBL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I tried different conditioner bars. Some are better than others but I find them all hard to manage. Especially for someone with dry hair. It takes time to spread it on the hair and it always feels like it isn't enough.

Length
    SL/HL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Chan View Post
    I tried different conditioner bars. Some are better than others but I find them all hard to manage. Especially for someone with dry hair. It takes time to spread it on the hair and it always feels like it isn't enough.
    That's what I worry about. My hair isn't dry all over, just those dang nape hairs.
    Find me at the beach or springs wishing I was a mermaid
    SL- MBL - WL - HL - TBL - CLASSIC - FTP - KNEE

Length
    SL/HL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Found out the conditioner bar I had bought was for oily hair and that explains why it's not as hydrating. I think I might try viori's dry or normal hair and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I'll keep using till I'm out and just add more oil to my routine.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by floridaorchid View Post
    Found out the conditioner bar I had bought was for oily hair and that explains why it's not as hydrating. I think I might try viori's dry or normal hair and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I'll keep using till I'm out and just add more oil to my routine.
    Oil isn't hydrating, and actually can lock moisture out of your hair, so I'd recommend that's actually hydrating over just oil

Length
    SL/HL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Oh snap, you're right! I wasn't thinking about that. I'll see what I can find then. I just don't want to waste product.