Thread: Hennindigo over chemical dye

Length
    Chin/Nape/term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Hennindigo over chemical dye

For years, I used to color my hair with a one step henna indigo. In 2017, I grew out my natural salt and pepper for about a year and a half, but gave up and have been using home chemical dye since 2019 because it doesn't take as long to apply as henna. I miss how healthy my hair was before the chemical dye, but I'm still not ready to go grey naturally. I have often heard that pure henna and indigo won't react badly to chemical dye, but I'm worried that the color won't be even and I'll look weird. My hair is about arm pit length at the moment and it has been taking forever to grow out, which is another reason I want to ditch the dye. Does anyone have advice or experience to share?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Hennindigo over chemical dye

I actually wrote an article about how to transition from chemical to herbal dyes, and you might find it helpful

https://www.nightblooming.com/2018/0...o-herbal-dyes/

Are you planning on doing a one-step or two step henndigo?

I think the main concern you need to mind is if your chemical colors had any developers that lightened your hair to get the color to stick better (even dark dyes can do this). Chemical dyes penetrate inside the hair shaft, while herbal colors stain the outside. If you have any fading on the chemical color that the henndigo doesn't seem to be covering well, I'd use a 24 washes dye (so pigment only, no developer) to help backfill the color and even it out, which will give your herbal color a more even result.

I hope that helps!

Length
    Chin/Nape/term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Thank you! That was so helpful! In the past I used one step Henna + Indigo (Rainbow Research dark brown.) I would probably do that again if you think it advisable because of the time factor. In the interim between now and the last time I hennaed I had a kid, so have even less time for myself. I can manage the 2 hour application every couple months, but if it takes even more than 2 hours, that might be too much. Thanks again, and thanks to the link to your site! It's very helpful.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

You're so welcome! I think you're fine, but best to strand test just to make sure! Doesn't sound like you have the time to fix things if they go haywire, either XD